S4 Mini without Notification LED.

2CV67

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
I am new to Android, so please excuse any dumb questions.

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (with Android 4.4.2) in France, where it comes without a Notification LED.
I still find that hard to believe, but it is too late now...

So I am looking for some way of knowing, as I walk past my phone on my desk, whether or not I have unread messages or missed calls.
At the moment, I need to actually stop & pick the phone up every time & check whether it vibrates or not, then unlock it etc etc (hard to believe...).

I asked Samsung Customer Support, who had no suggestions, except to activate repeating the notification sound every 2 minutes or 10 minutes.
That solution doesn't seem to work, but it is not what I am looking for anyway.

I thought I had found the perfect solution when I discovered NoLED app.
(Can't post links yet...)
This should show an icon or dot on the screen when there has been a call or message & it should be possible to save battery life by using short flashes etc etc.

After installing it, I had an incoming call & sure enough a nice dot appeared & shifted round the screen to avoid burning the AMOLED.
But after 59 seconds, the dot dimmed & disappeared for good!
Actually, if I pick up the phone, it vibrates & the dot lights up again, but only for another 59 seconds.

I found this site dealing with NoLED:
(Can't post links yet...)
But it seems like development & support has stopped?

So:
1. Should I be able to get NoLED working on my S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2?
2. Is there any other way of having a visual reminder of missed calls or unread messages?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
1. Should I be able to get NoLED working on my S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2?
2. Is there any other way of having a visual reminder of missed calls or unread messages?

Can't answer #1, and can only give a partial answer for #2, because notifications are sort of a pain for me. They can wait until when ever I decide to check. Still, in other forums I have noticed alot of discussion about something that maybe would be of interest. It's call'd BLN (may stand for Backing Light Notification), and a free version is available here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=neldar.bln.control.free&hl=en&token=h_Y-AVzz

2CV67

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion!

In the meantime, I found & installed "LED Blinker Lite" which uses the screen like NoLED but does actually seem to work on my device.

I will try it for a few days to make sure, before testing anything else.

Thanks again!

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion!

In the meantime, I found & installed "LED Blinker Lite" which uses the screen like NoLED but does actually seem to work on my device.

I will try it for a few days to make sure, before testing anything else.

Thanks again!

Or you can use your menu and back button so fade in and out if you got a text or something.

mvysata

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Check app Smart Notify with notification sound in selected intervals, eg.first in 30 seconds after missed call or SMS and then every minute, I think that sound is better than any LED.

link

2CV67

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am now quite satisfied with "LED Blinker Lite" which gives me a visual indication as I wander past my phone on my desk.

Thanks for the other suggestions!

pithypants

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a RAZR maxx, and with the small notification led, I was dissatisfied with how often I remained unaware of missed calls and new voicemails. So for missed calls I decided to program a "smart action" to change the display background from my normal black to a bright colorful picture. Also, for the Voicemail issue, by default the Verizon Voicemail app was not set up to show notifications and before I found where to set it up, I found a great third party visual Voicemail app that I've been using. PF Voicemail + by PhoneFusion. Free. No popup ads. No time limit for keeping old messages, and the best part, it identifies callers (missed call list only as far as I can tell) by name or business name from listed numbers if they're not on your contact list. Oh, and notifications, of course.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrgender

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I've installed the LED blinker notification app on my s4 mini also. it seems to do a reasonable job.
it does have a couple of bugs which I've submitted to the app author, including my suggestions for some improvements.