Previous iPhoner not real happy with Android

anon5723001

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I came from an old iPhone 3GS. (no comments on that please, I'm doing the best I can). I'm not real happy with this S4 mini to this point. Some changes that I feel could make this a very useful device. I have read a little about rooting? And I wonder if I do that can I make these changes:

1. Why do they put the names of the apps under the apps? We don't need both. Take the names away and the icons could be a little larger. Is there a way to make them go away?

2. I'd like the notifications bar at the top to be a bit larger in height. I can't see the dang icons! I can't see the battery % without an extra pair of glasses on.

3. The REAL issue I'm having is that these phones (all Androids I guess) will not auto-detect phone numbers in emails, documents or my notes. I think it does in web pages but that's all. Wait, I sent myself an email with a phone number in it. Strangely it did not autodetect the number in the email body, but it did hyperlink the phone number in my signature???? If it can find that, why won't it find other phone numbers?

Someone please tell me if these changes can be made. Especially about hyperlinking/auto-detect phone numbers. Yes, I did find a work around with phone numbers inside .xls files using KingSoft Office for Androis (WPS). But, that's the only place it works. Not in emails or notes. Not even in documents created with Office for Android.

Any suggestions? Can these changes be made if I root the phone?

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
For your first point you can download a launcher from the play store. I like nova launcher. You can remove labels under icons with that and customize a ton more as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

JiM_cz

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm not going to answer your specific questions but I'm just going to tell you that I was exactly in the same situation. I owned my lovely 3GS for some 4 or 5 years and finally decided to say good bye to him and buying S4 mini (my first android phone). At first, I was confused and sometimes almost annoyed but after a while of tweaking, playing with the phone and finding better than default apps (especially keyboard and notebook), I'm absolutely happy. It's like coming from win 5 to win 7. Give it a time and you'll get used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze