How can I tell if apps are running?

A

AC Question

how can i tell if apps are running?

I have a S4 mini - and want to know if apps are running in the background (ie. using precious data). How can i stop them/shut them down? thanks

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: how can i tell if apps are running?

You can use Task manager which for the s4 you can hold the home button and it should appear on the bottom along with opened apps. You can also go in the "running" section of application manager in your settings.

Sent from Mr. Mobile Nations using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: how can i tell if apps are running?

If you go to:
Settings > Apps > Running
...you will see a list of apps, but they are not all actually running. Most are service-only processes or inactive, cached in memory.

Services only processes are not doing much of anything. They're basically waiting for something to happen such as a email to arrive or a tap on the screen. In this state they use virtually no CPU cycles or power.

Inactive, or cached, apps are merely parked in RAM for quick retrieval in case they are needed. In this state they use no CPU cycles or power at all.

For more information about what your system is doing install System Panel:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=AQCDeaNl

Don't worry about what's running or shutting things down. Android handles apps and processes automatically for you and does an excellent job.

Relax and enjoy your phone.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.