Poor Wifi Uploading on New S4 mini, -worse than a Galaxy Ace

minirisin

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Brand New S4 mini here, poor wifi uploading is making VoIP very spotty.
-purchased on ebay "overstock" Verizon, SCH-I435, 4.4.2, unlocked, good seller ratings.

Is there any standardized test I can do for the wifi antennae to determine if it's
operating properly (uploading)? I can still return phone.

network: Century Link 7Mbps/1Mbps
router: Netgear DNG2000 up to date, reset

At zero feet from router, it gets approx. same as my laptop and Ace phone, but still seems to drop signal a bit, more than my Galaxy Ace (cheap phone ~$100 w/prepaid).

At 15 ft from router, the Galaxy Ace is mostly fine and very usable on Voip.
The new S4 mini is a bit spotty (uploading), maybe 85% ok, making Voip a bit problematic. Downloading is fine.

At 40ft from router, the Ace is hovering around .7bps, same as computer, whereas the S4 mini is around .5 Mbps, a solid 20% worse I'd say, and dropping out much more than the Ace, making it unreliable.

I'm using Internet Speed Test by V-Speed.eu, (the holographic blue app). (v.2.5.1.0)
Using Ookla was much worse. The S4 mini was hovering at close to 0 during the first 3 to 8 seconds for many trials. After using Speed Test, I decided Ookla must be giving incorrect info, because it clearly was not 0 with Speed Test.

Is there anything that can be done to further test or improve this?
Is this phone substandard? I can still return for refund. Thanks!

Last edited:

minirisin

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
No sir, no case. I edited to ask if there is a standardized test as I can still return this phone. I can't believe the wifi would be worse than a Galaxy Ace, a $100 phone. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure about anything that can objectively test a wi-fi radio's efficacy. Apps usually test the strength of the router's signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38