New S4 mini has disabled MTP?

toothandnail2

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I recently replaced a damaged S4 Mini with a new one. The new phone is using Android 4.4.4 (think the older version was on 4.4.2?). I transferred the SD card (with around 18 GB of music) from the old phone. Everything seems to work (though I had trouble finding a number of settings since they seem to have been moved between versions). However...

Wanted to add a couple of new albums to the phone. So I plugged it into my laptop using the USB cable. I'm not a Windows user - I normally run Arch Linux. While I don't like MTP much as a transfer protocol, its been working pretty well under Linux for the last 12 months or so.

However, with the newer version, I'm not seeing either the phone or the SD card. If I try to use jmtpfs, it can't detect any MTP capable device. I've tried turning on the "nearby devices" in NFC and sharing, but it seems to only allow Windows medial player, which is no help at all.

Any idea how to get MTP working the way it used to, or do I need to look at rooting the device? While I can pull the SD card and load it manually, that's not much of a long term solution...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not familiar with using Linux computers, but on the phone, when you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Can you choose MTP there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance