Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installing Roms on a SCH-I545(Verizon)

Sorry this is probably posted somewhere already. I am new to Android well I had a Droid 4 Years ago but everything is new to me again. I have my S4 Rooted with TWRP installed. I've been wanting to install a rom but I am on a mac and I do not know how to do it. I have downloaded some roms to my desktop but they are unzipped. I was wondering if anybody could point me to the right link/post? Once again sorry if I'm reposting this. Thanks in advance!!

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

Default Re: Installing Roms on a SCH-I545(Verizon)

As always, use caution when flashing ROMs onto your phone and it's your own fault if you mess up! Anyways, do NOT unzip the ROMs. Place them onto your SD card (or onto the phone if you wish), then boot up into recovery by holding the home button and the volume up key and turning the device on. Once you're booted up into TWRP, hit install and then select the ROM you wish to flash. Remember, if you're flashing different ROMs that aren't updated versions, wiping your phone and clearing the cache BEFORE you flash the new ROM is always a good idea. Sometimes flashing an entirely different ROM without flashing will result in a lot of forced closes. Make a backup just to err on the safe side.

Still need more help? Maybe this guide will make it clearer for you. No offense to AndroidCentral, but XDA developers always has the best resources if you need anything, from ROMs to answering your questions. AC is a good place to start, but if you can't find it on here, you can almost always find it on XDA.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks man! Quick question I have no more free storage to make a backup or download a rom on my phone. I deleted just about half of my apps already. Is theya way I can do the update without losing my Root?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Farrell View Post
    Thanks man! Quick question I have no more free storage to make a backup or download a rom on my phone. I deleted just about half of my apps already. Is theya way I can do the update without losing my Root?
    1. Free up some space on that phone! Generally, unless you have high-def games, apps aren't the problem. Do you have music or video files taking up all that space? Try offloading them to an SD card. If it is apps, then the only ones you need to get rid of are the big ones (games). Do you are already have older backups you can delete?

2. you can do backups and store ROMs on the SD card. If you don't have an SD card, get one. Still though, see step #1 first, I would recommend not having internal storage at capacity when installing a new ROM, regardless of whether or not you have an SD card.

3. At the poster above noted, you shouldn't need your computer at all once you've got root and TWRP installed. Just download the ROM (leave it zipped), boot into recovery & flash*. You can install "ES File Explorer" which includes a download tool so you can direct any downloads from the device to your SD card instead of your internal storage.

*after you've done the requisite backups and data wipes, of course.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

A little word of advice. If using twrp, verify you have 2.5.0.2 installed. They pushed an update (2.5.0.3) that isn't working right. They have since reverted to the previous version. If you do have the .3 version use goo manager to reinstall your recovery.

Also, there is a setting somewhere on your mac that is causing your ROMs to be unpacked when downloads complete, disable that. Even if you rezip them, it will kill the md5 verification most ROMs have.

I also agree that an sdcard is a must on this phone, especially when ROMs an nandroid backups are concerned. Heck, a stock ROM with a moderate level of user apps installed is nearly 4gb in size. That eats up your internal storage in a hurry. TWRP does have a setting for storing on the external storage, so you should be using it. I just picked up a 32gb Samsung microsd from fry's electronics for under $20 bucks. I wouldn't go under 16gb though. Remember how big this nandroids are gonna be.

Besides that it seems you are set. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have no music on my phone all I use is Pandora and Spotify. Also I only downloaded like 5 or 6 apps. I have 783mb in apps,
    .24mb in pictures, 113mb in music, 285mb in downloads, 13.52gb inmiscellaneous files(why is that so high?) Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm still trying to free up space without deleting files thati don't need..

I have no music on my phone all I use is Pandora and Spotify. Also I only downloaded like 5 or 6 apps. I have 783mb in apps,
    .24mb in pictures, 113mb in music, 285mb in downloads, 13.52gb inmiscellaneous files(why is that so high?) Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm still trying to free up space without deleting files thati don't need..
    13.52gb in misc files?!? that's way too high. I ask again, have you made any backups in recovery?

I'd almost be tempted to to do a complete wipe and reflash OS via Odin if you don't know what's taking up that space.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I can't make any back ups becausei have insufficient storage. I deleted mostly everything downloaded but I barley have any space still. And what is Odin? Sorry haha. I have TWRP installed. Should I just do a full restore like back to normal?

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

That's crazy... I have no idea how you have so much Miscellaneous files taking up your storage. I have 2.94GB in apps, 253MB in pictures/videos, 240KB in audio, 48KB d/l, and 6.44GB miscellaneous.

Anyways, this is why having an external SD card is an excellent idea. You can find them real cheap on Amazon now.

Can you click on Miscellaneous files and say how much memory the "System memory" is taking up? Mine takes up 6.38GB.

You could try doing a full restore, but it's gonna really suck since you can't make a backup. ODIN is a program for Windows machines that you can use to flash stock images (stock images is essentially the "ROM" that was originally on the phone). It's pretty simple to use and it's a good idea to have it whenever you're doing root related stuff to your phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I have 6.28gb for the system and I looked and TWRP has 6.82gb why is that so high? Also is there a way to back up my apps and text messages/ contacts without losing them?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

update: I just did a backup. I think all I did was check the data and it was successful. Now It Daus my storage data is running out. ..

I have 6.28gb for the system and I looked and TWRP has 6.82gb why is that so high? Also is there a way to back up my apps and text messages/ contacts without losing them?
    If TWRP is that high, then it sound like there *may* be a backup (perhaps one you didn't realize you were doing) in there. Do this, use a file explorer (RootExplorer, ES Explorer, or even the built-in "My Files" should do for this), browse your internal storage and look for a TWRP directory, and see if there is a folder under there named "Backups". If so, delete it.

Then, in the future, when you're in TWRP and you want to make a backup, be sure to choose SDcard storage to store your backup! backups for the S4 can be on the order of 4+GB depending on how many apps and data you have, so they'll eat through internal memory *really* fast!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks Man I was just about to do a factory reset on my phone. I deleted the TWRP backups and now I have 12.00KB in TWRP and 8.03GB in available storage now im going to make a back up of my current settings and stuff. How do I chose "SDcard storage"? Sorry lol! What else can I delete to free up space?

Thanks Man I was just about to do a factory reset on my phone. I deleted the TWRP backups and now I have 12.00KB in TWRP and 8.03GB in available storage now im going to make a back up of my current settings and stuff. How do I chose "SDcard storage"? Sorry lol! What else can I delete to free up space?
    When you go to do the backup, click on "Storage" (below the partitions list) and set it to "Micro SDcard".

Out of the box, the GS4 has just over 9GB free space, so if you're showing 8.03GB, then you're in good shape...probably not much more you can delete. Also, you should have plenty of space to now install apps and such, just be sure to save what you can to SD card.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Oh thanks again haha! I did a back up to my phone and now I got no memory again. But im saving it to my SD card now. Every time I try to install a rom it fails. I do the factory settings like it says and everything else but it doesn't work. I even turned on my windows laptop and tried installing a rom on there into my SDCard(If your following me). Im trying to use either the CleanRom or the Hyperdrive rom but neither of them are working --_--
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

After I wipe everything and install the rom from my SDCard it says: "Skipping MD5 check: No MD5 file found. Error flashing zip '/ external_sd/Downloads/Synergy-S4_11Jun13_0110_r084_" What am I doing wrong?

After I wipe everything and install the rom from my SDCard it says: "Skipping MD5 check: No MD5 file found. Error flashing zip '/ external_sd/Downloads/Synergy-S4_11Jun13_0110_r084_" What am I doing wrong?
    OK...so...

1. Did you make sure to clear out any TWRP backups and ensure you have sufficient space on internal drive?
    2. It sounds like you got the ROM file loaded onto the SD card, so that's good. Just to be clear, do NOT unzip the ROM, you flash the ZIP file as is.
    3. Don't worry about the MD5 error, that's just a check for file integrity that some devs include with the ROM, but not all have it.
    4. Before flashing, did you do a factory reset wipe in TWRP?

That's about all I can think of...otherwise it should work just fine.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

1. Yes I made a backup to my SD Card. Because I know my internal drive would not have enough storage to save both files.
    2. Yes the rom is Zipped, I downloaded WinZip for my Mac.
    3. Every rom I try I get a MD5 Error I can't even flash the rom. Is there a manual way I can do this on a Mac or windows?
    4. Yes I've flashed 3x factory wipe.
    5. What am I missing??

1. Yes I made a backup to my SD Card. Because I know my internal drive would not have enough storage to save both files.
    2. Yes the rom is Zipped, I downloaded WinZip for my Mac.
    3. Every rom I try I get a MD5 Error I can't even flash the rom. Is there a manual way I can do this on a Mac or windows?
    4. Yes I've flashed 3x factory wipe.
    5. What am I missing??
    OK...let's try that again...

The part about MD5 is nothing, however you are still getting an error flashing, so something is wrong.

You don't need to ANYTHING on your computer. When you download a ROM, it will be the format "[ROM name].zip" -- don't do anything to that file. Don't unzip it. Don't open it in WinZip. Just save it to your SDCard. Then when booted in recovery, do your factory wipe, then install the ROM you downloaded. If that's what you're doing and you're still getting errors, something is probably wrong with the ROM file itself. Perhaps try to re-download the file as it may be corrupt.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

What about if I just try and download the rom straight to my phone? I've done the Factory reset and nothing works... Is there a video on how to fix this or something??

What about if I just try and download the rom straight to my phone? I've done the Factory reset and nothing works... Is there a video on how to fix this or something??
    Yes, you can download the ROM directly from your phone...that's how I usually do it.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I finally got the CleanRom onto my phone. Is there a way I can download the Illusion rom on top of the clean rom like a them or something? Or do I have to wipe again and install that rom fresh?

I finally got the CleanRom onto my phone. Is there a way I can download the Illusion rom on top of the clean rom like a them or something? Or do I have to wipe again and install that rom fresh?
    you should always install ROMs fresh for best results

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Ill try Illusion right now. I will wipe everything I just made another back up right now... Hopefully I dont get a MD5 error or what ever it was...