Best Method for Installing Stock Android

thunderclap

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's been many years since I moved away from my HTC Incredible, moving to the iPhone 4s. With Apple stagnant I'm considering upgrading to the S4 on Verizon. I did root my Incredible, but that was only to remove stock apps I didn't use. It seems there has been progress since then, and I'm a little confused.

Basically, I know there is an S4 Google Edition coming out. That's basically what I want (S4 with stock Android) but I don't want to pay the near $700 price tag. I figure there has to be a way of installing the stock Android ROM on an S4 but keep bumping into walls. So some basic questions:

• do I have to root my phone first prior to installing the stock Android ROM?
  • where do I download the stock Android ROM? (or any ROM for that matter? I hear Beans is a good one, but I assume that's a third-party ROM?)
  • will stock Android ROM stay up-to-date on its own, or will I have to manually update when new versions come out?
  • will I lose the stock install if/when Verizon decides to push an update to the phone?

I appreciate any input, even if it's "Look here [insert link]".

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been many years since I moved away from my HTC Incredible, moving to the iPhone 4s. With Apple stagnant I'm considering upgrading to the S4 on Verizon. I did root my Incredible, but that was only to remove stock apps I didn't use. It seems there has been progress since then, and I'm a little confused.

Basically, I know there is an S4 Google Edition coming out. That's basically what I want (S4 with stock Android) but I don't want to pay the near $700 price tag. I figure there has to be a way of installing the stock Android ROM on an S4 but keep bumping into walls. So some basic questions:

• do I have to root my phone first prior to installing the stock Android ROM?
  • where do I download the stock Android ROM? (or any ROM for that matter? I hear Beans is a good one, but I assume that's a third-party ROM?)
  • will stock Android ROM stay up-to-date on its own, or will I have to manually update when new versions come out?
  • will I lose the stock install if/when Verizon decides to push an update to the phone?

I appreciate any input, even if it's "Look here [insert link]".

Welcome back to Android!

First off, there has to be someone who provides the Google Edition files for that to be flashed. But for a moment, let' assume they do, and I will answer your questions.
1. Yes. It would be no different if you were only interested in flashing a custom ROM.
2. We have a few links to custom ROMs but XDA has a much more exhaustive selection. Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers Just remember to look in your proper model/carrier. Any ROM you download will be third party.
3. If you mean the ROM you install to your device, no. You will have to keep an eye on the developers page for updates. However, their updates will often be faster and better than stock ones.
4. Again, if you flash the ROM, yes, you will no longer be able to accept any updates from your carrier, as they will fail. Even if they go through, I have heard of some breaking root access, and some even bricking the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance