Galaxy S4 Clockworkmod Touch Recovery Installation

justein

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have two questions. One, I want to install ClockWorkMod Recovery instead of TWRP. Do I just install ClockWorkMod over it, or will this damage my phone? Second, I downloaded the ClockWorkMod touch recovery from their website, and it comes as recovery.img. How would I flash this to my phone? I do not want to pay the $6 for ROM Manager Premium. Thanks in advance to people who respond.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey Justein,
Sorry that you haven't gotten a response yet! I'm not entirely sure of the answer to this, but I will try to look around for something. Just wanted to let you know that someone is trying to help :)

Jennifer
Forums Moderator

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have two questions. One, I want to install ClockWorkMod Recovery instead of TWRP. Do I just install ClockWorkMod over it, or will this damage my phone? Second, I downloaded the ClockWorkMod touch recovery from their website, and it comes as recovery.img. How would I flash this to my phone? I do not want to pay the $6 for ROM Manager Premium. Thanks in advance to people who respond.

I have installed twrp over cwm but I think I returned to stock and then installed twrp. I'm pretty sure you can just install it over twrp but you could return to stock just to be safe (and so that you can do it now vs waiting for an answer)

? Sent from my Galaxy S4 ?
??? Formerly "Evo_Girl"

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If your device is s-off, you can use SDK and fast boot to manually flash the recovery. You would first boot into boot loader and enable fast boot. Then you would plug the phone into your computer, move the recovery.img, as well as fastboot.exe, adb.exe and its two counterparts from the sdk into a folder titled adb_win in your computer directory ( C: ). You would need to open the command box, you can do so by clicking in the search bar and typing cmd.exe type
cd C:\adb_win
fastboot devices

fastboot devices should show you your serial.

Then type

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Give it a few seconds for it to do its thing. When its done, reboot and go to bootloader.

Go to recovery and it should be a custom recovery, or in this case, cwm.

But before you do this, im trying to find if there is any harm to flashing over a previous custom recovery.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
There should be no problem with flashing cwm over twrp, just be aware that any nandroids created with twrp will not be readable with cwm, so if successful the first thing you need to do is create a nandroid backup.

justein

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jennifer. However, I am pretty sure that the Galaxy S4 only has a Loki boot loader bypass, so this would not work. I couldn't find anything on the internet, I might just contact the developer of ClockworkMod.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Jennifer. However, I am pretty sure that the Galaxy S4 only has a Loki boot loader bypass, so this would not work. I couldn't find anything on the internet, I might just contact the developer of ClockworkMod.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of further help. Contacting the developer seems like it could be a smart move. I wish you the best, and if there is anything else I can assist you with, don't hesitate to ask!

androidalais

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd really appreciate an answer to these questions, I'm itching to find out the answer to both. Thanks.

You can't install a .img file through the recovery. You need an app like Flash Image GUI but i think thats a paid app. If you google it there might be a free app that does the same thing.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if this will help or not How to install ClockworkMod recovery on Galaxy S4 Verizon i545

Install CyanogenMod on any device | AndroBits

Last edited:

WhiskeySix

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Any luck with this? I've been looking to do this same thing w/ CWM Touch recovery.... same deal though - only comes in .img form. If it was in .tar form, we could use Odin (free windows tool) to flash it.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaeowvn2xo8znkr/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.2-jfltetmo.tar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwbskpomugwy1a3/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.6-jfltetmo.tar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13hawsjeqw6l52w/recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.4-jfltetmo.tar

Three ODIN flashable versions of CWMR for T-Mobile SGS4. If you're on a different carrier, just let me know and I'll convert the recovery.img for your specific carrier to ODIN flashable tar format and upload. It took me a bit of searching before I learned how to convert the recovery.img to tar format. It requires you to use a Linux terminal to create an ODIN flashable tar, so I understand why so many people have trouble finding and flashing the recovery that they want instead of whatever is posted already.

Anyway, I'll be more than happy to take requests.