question before rooting for the first time

s4fanboy

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
hi everyone,
im a newbie to android, about to root my s4,
but i wondered if i root my phone, do i lose all the samsung stuff, like air gestures , all the camera modes, all the touchwizz stuff?
and if i install cyonagen mod, to make the phone stock android like, do i lose the things i mentioned above ?
i know it surely have been asked, but i cant find exactly what im searching for, so yeah , after rooting do i lose all the S stuff and the camera modes , and
after installing CM, do i lose them then ?

thanks a lot

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hi everyone,
im a newbie to android, about to root my s4,
but i wondered if i root my phone, do i lose all the samsung stuff, like air gestures , all the camera modes, all the touchwizz stuff?
and if i install cyonagen mod, to make the phone stock android like, do i lose the things i mentioned above ?
i know it surely have been asked, but i cant find exactly what im searching for, so yeah , after rooting do i lose all the S stuff and the camera modes , and
after installing CM, do i lose them then ?

thanks a lot

Welcome to the forums!
Rooting will not remove those other features. It just grants you superuser access to the device. Flashing a custom ROM will remove all of that stuff.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
and are there still advantages to rooting without flashing a custom rom?

If you don't know why you should root, I wouldn't recommend it. You should consider it, if you have a reason. There are plenty of advantages, yes. Want some of them? I'll name eight:-

1) remove your samsung bloatware
2) overclocking/underclocking
3) Battery improvements
4) more customisation
5) better backup
6) latest OS updates
7) new applications
8) infinite possibilities (because you can do what YOU want)

Droid4Core

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
If your new to android then your perhaps familiar to jail breaking? In many cases to root you have to unlock the boot loader to root. Unlocking the boot loader does wipe it but for the s4 using the motochopper method it will not wipe anything nor will it remove any features or data. It is very similar to evasi0n or any other jailbreak method such as red sn0w. To root you simply click wait for it to reboot then your golden. Once rooted you can install a custom ROM which is one of the great advantages of rooting. This will wipe your phone but not the SD card so I would recommend backing up your stuff to the sd card before doing any root related activities.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If your new to android then your perhaps familiar to jail breaking? In many cases to root you have to unlock the boot loader to root. Unlocking the boot loader does wipe it but for the s4 using the motochopper method it will not wipe anything nor will it remove any features or data. It is very similar to evasi0n or any other jailbreak method such as red sn0w. To root you simply click wait for it to reboot then your golden. Once rooted you can install a custom ROM which is one of the great advantages of rooting. This will wipe your phone but not the SD card so I would recommend backing up your stuff to the sd card before doing any root related activities.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

How do you install a custom ROM if you don't have a custom recovery? In other words, to install a custom ROM, you don't only have to root - but you have to install a custom recovery too, correct?

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad