ROM flashing/phone restoring

Rick Rab

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy S4 AT&T
I recently decided to do a factory restore of my phone and now I can't get through the initial setup of the device without it saying "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" after I click the finish button. I didn't do a backup after I rooted the phone (Yes, I know). I used Titanium back-up to remove some bloatware and things I didn't want to have to look at. Then I tried to put it all back using the restore options in Titanium. I then decided to just do a big wipe and start over. Now I can't access my device at all since Settings keeps crashing, so now I'm thinking the only thing I've got left is to try and maybe flash a stock firmware ROM on the [volume up, power, home] start-up thing somehow. I have no idea how to do so, and if its possible or not. So is there a way I can fix this? Is this a common problem? What can I do? Help troubleshoot? Thanks.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sigh. Nothing personal, but I really wish people would research and learn before they start screwing with things. Titanium, for example, has a "freeze" capability that let's you test whether deleting the app(s) will cause problems. What does "big wipe" mean?

So you're rooted. Are you still on the stock ROM? Can you boot into recovery (vol UP, home, power)? If yes, have you tried doing a factory reset from there?

I that doesn't work, then flashing the stock ROM image would be a good next step, but it doesn't appear that option exists yet. This thread indicates there is no stock image available: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-rooting-roms-hacks/272893-how-root-galaxy-s4.html

If you're still on the stock ROM, and factory reset from within Recovery should get you back to normal. If it doesn't, post back here.

flyguy5187

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey meyerweb, same situation as the OP here....had an AT&T phone that I ultimately rooted and unlocked to move over to Tmobile. Anway, long story short I deleted all the AT&T bloateware before backing up on Titanium but after doing a factory reset (I think that is equiv. to OP's big wipe), I am stuck in the initial setup wizard with settings crashing and then loops me back to the first setup screen. My theory is that the stock ROM is looking for an AT&T app that was originally installed but no longer there ( i read somewhere AT&T locker but not sure) causing this. The difficult part is that the factory reset I am thinking caused the debug setting to be unchecked so I am having a hard time flashing CWM or another ROM to fix this problem. You or anybody know of a way to get to the full settings screen at initial setup?

Also I am trying to flash the 4.3 OS onto the phone, is this ok or does it need to be the original factory software? thanks for all the help

How to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 Google Edition - android jelly bean, samsung, Google, smartphones, Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 4.3 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

[ROM] [09/08] S4 GoogleEdition 4.3 [v1.2] [Slim/Clean/Light/5 Optional Mods] [291MB] - xda-developers

OP, I think this is the original firmware?

Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S4 AT&T
I recently decided to do a factory restore of my phone and now I can't get through the initial setup of the device without it saying "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" after I click the finish button. I didn't do a backup after I rooted the phone (Yes, I know). I used Titanium back-up to remove some bloatware and things I didn't want to have to look at. Then I tried to put it all back using the restore options in Titanium. I then decided to just do a big wipe and start over. Now I can't access my device at all since Settings keeps crashing, so now I'm thinking the only thing I've got left is to try and maybe flash a stock firmware ROM on the [volume up, power, home] start-up thing somehow. I have no idea how to do so, and if its possible or not. So is there a way I can fix this? Is this a common problem? What can I do? Help troubleshoot? Thanks.

Need to know if you're on MF3 or not. Go to settings/more/about and tell us your build number.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey meyerweb, same situation as the OP here....had an AT&T phone that I ultimately rooted and unlocked to move over to Tmobile. Anway, long story short I deleted all the AT&T bloateware before backing up on Titanium but after doing a factory reset (I think that is equiv. to OP's big wipe), I am stuck in the initial setup wizard with settings crashing and then loops me back to the first setup screen. My theory is that the stock ROM is looking for an AT&T app that was originally installed but no longer there ( i read somewhere AT&T locker but not sure) causing this. The difficult part is that the factory reset I am thinking caused the debug setting to be unchecked so I am having a hard time flashing CWM or another ROM to fix this problem. You or anybody know of a way to get to the full settings screen at initial setup?

Also I am trying to flash the 4.3 OS onto the phone, is this ok or does it need to be the original factory software? thanks for all the help

How to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 Google Edition - android jelly bean, samsung, Google, smartphones, Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 4.3 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

[ROM] [09/08] S4 GoogleEdition 4.3 [v1.2] [Slim/Clean/Light/5 Optional Mods] [291MB] - xda-developers

OP, I think this is the original firmware?

Firmware archive | Samsung Updates

lol you too - build number please. See above.

flyguy5187

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok found the solution from fellow over @xda....

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q]Bricked S4. How to get to ADB if it S4 wont boot

1. Select sign up for new Samsung account
2. Select log in with Facebook - which launches a browser
3. On that page click and hold a word to select it
4. Scroll to the right to do a web search
5. Select Chrome
6. Navigate to facebook.com
7. Click the link to download the app
8. In play store download Nova launcher and then launch
9. Click the menu button and go into system then enable USB Debugging
10. Root the phone again then follow the above steps till you get to the market.
11. Install a Root Explorer.
12. Rename SecSetupWizard2013.apk and SecSetupWizard2013.apk
13. Reboot and phone should start up without the setup wizard.
14. If your home button doesn't work reboot again.

I'm thinking of just deleting the setupwizard APKs so I don't have this issue anymore and just manually link up my google account, set up wifi, and etc manually myself. Is there any vital functions that are "hidden" I might lose?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
btw build # is JDQ39.I337UCUAMDL

do you thinkI can flash the 4.3 onto the phone ok??

Ok good news you don't have MF3 so you can just ODIN back to stock then root/recovery and install the ROM you want.

First things first, it looks like you need to read up on the whole process and make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you proceed...so you don't end up like this again! Read here and read the guides linked at the beginning:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...t-rooting-recovery-custom-roms-look-here.html

Now that you've done that, it's time to restore your phone back to stock MDL with ODIN...here's the process:
[FACTORY STOCK] GS4 Stock Firmware Odin Package- Original Factory ROM - xda-developers
Also a Youtube video to help you out:
How to Unroot and Unbrick the Samsung Galaxy S4 - YouTube
Lastly, the MDL firmware can be downloaded from here:
Firmwares | SamMobile
Search for i337 and the first result should be I337UCUAMDL

Once you do that, you will be back to factory stock and unrooted. You can then use the guide from the first thread I linked to root/recovery. I suggest using the tool there. Then you can flash any ROM you choose. Don't forget to do a NANDROID backup after you get recovery installed...and before any flashing you do!

NOTE: Once you are back to stock, make sure you don't take the AT&T OTA update to MF3! If you're not going to run the tool to install root and recovery right away, be sure to take preventative measures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21