Can the S4 READ a USB drive?? HELP!

D_DemoCrazy

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
my s4 was able to read any Pen drive while connected before it was rooted.. after rooting... it doesn't detect.. definitely a root problem or software. let me know how u solved it !

fingertrick

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Somehow i doubt unless your root method was so terribly written that it breaks features like usb host, WiFi, etc... you're not taking about root. However!! Do you by any chance have a custom rom or system configuration root apps that access the system partition such as.. 3c toolbox or rom manager.. Basically I'm asking you, are you regardless of using a recovery that can install roms, using a rom or flashing any files to maybe modify system files?

Mythgyver

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a S4 i337m and I can run any usb device I've tried. I bought an OTG cable from Radio Shack for $10. Logitech trackball (mouse pointer appears on the s4 screen), Western Digital Passport drive gets enough power to run, all thumb drive and microsd cards with adapter (both USB 2.0 and 3.0 work just fine) I rooted and flashed CM12.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested this out since it worked fine on my S3...so a grabbed my USB OTG cable and plugged it into my S4:

1) Plugged in a 16GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. Immediately the stock file explorer popped up and showed me the root directory of the drive. I was able to play MP3s on that drive no problem. Seems working 100%.

2) I plugged in both of my 2.5" USB drives, 1TB and 500GB. Each one turned on and the drive spun up...but my S4 said they were empty. I don't believe the USB on the phone can supply enough power to those drives for them to work properly.

3) I plugged in, one at a time, my mouse and keyboard from this computer. I was able to control my device with each one immediately.

I am currently on Goldeneye 4.0 ROM...just flashed it actually...no data restored, nothing installed, just 100% stock and factory wiped Goldeneye 4.0. I'd be surprised if there's any difference with the above if I switched back to stock AT&T MDL.

So, you were able to at least play music with your Galaxy S4 but not operate a large external hard drive?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey