Downloading...Do not turn off target!! Stuck after installing TWRP via Goo Manager

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted a Verizon GS4 (VRUAME7) using this method. Everything went fine. I verified root with Root Checker, rebooted the phone, checked again.

Then I followed this method to install TWRP. When I rebooted the device as instructed, it got stuck on a splashscreen that has and Android logo and says "Downloading...Do not turn off target!!" :'(

The upper left in red says "Could not do normal boot. ODIN MODE"

I tried a battery pull, vol dwn + power, vol up + power and vol down + up + power.

How do I get back to normal boot or into TWRP recovery? I have a ROM I'd like to install, and as of now...it won't get past that splash screen.

What do I do?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I ended up booting into download mode (volume down + home +power) and then I got prompted for did I really want to do that, I responded no and the phone booted up.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Once you are able to install a recovery, if using TWRP, only download 2.5.0.2... all other versions have bugs here and there (this is the current recovery I use and works flawlessly).

If you go CWM, go with PhilzCWM

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Definitely make sure you use 2.5.0.2, that latest version will give you all sorts of stress.
If that's your issue once twrp opens for you, I just had to keep trying volume up and power until I got in, immediately flash the older version. Just have it on your sd card, hit install in twrp and select that version and it will immediately switch.

xmguy1

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I too tried this and got the ODIN screen. I've had only Motorola phones for the last 3+ years. The only reason I knew anything ABOUT Odin methods was I had a Samsung Continuum for a bit and messed with flashing with Odin.

Nevertheless I ended up flashing VRUAME7 via odin to restore the phone, thinking the phone was bricked.

I would like to be able to have full backup and restore functions. Ive had TWRP before and liked what it can do.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
if you flashed the update file of ME7, then you cannot install custom recovery, and must wait until an exploit comes out for that.

GYounan84

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
DREAMLINER!!!! YOURE THE FRIKKIN MAN!!!! I WAS STUCK AT THIS FOR THE LAST 10 HOURS!!!! THANK GOD I HAD A WEDDING TO GO TO SO I WAS PREOCCUPIED BUT MAN I COULDNT STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND YOUR SECOND POST RESOLVED IT! I LOVEY OU MAN, WISH I COULD KISS YOUR HANDdddd!!!!

mickrg123

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck in download mode when I click volume down to reboot I get the yellow triangle. I have tried odin back to stock but get error Need help!

Cris Romero

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Definitely make sure you use 2.5.0.2, that latest version will give you all sorts of stress.
If that's your issue once twrp opens for you, I just had to keep trying volume up and power until I got in, immediately flash the older version. Just have it on your sd card, hit install in twrp and select that version and it will immediately switch.
I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the 2.5.0.2 version, but how do I replace it with the new version?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the 2.5.0.2 version, but how do I replace it with the new version?
Sorry so late, I wasn't getting notified of quotes. My post was old and TWRP has been updated and the latest version as of this date is working just fine. You may be able to find the update through goo manager or else head over to XDA. You just flash the update with whatever version you're on now, maybe wipe cache and dalvik for good measure, reboot to recovery and it should update itself right there.

mick finn

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, great help, g. All I did was switch on my GS4 on Boxing Day and got the same message(s) and result: no response whatsoever. I followed vol down+power+home and, praise be, back to normal. Merry Xmas :)

raviredde

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue after installing TWRP via Goo Manager , it stuck in downloading ..... Do not turn off Target!! on 4.3 MK2

I went to the download mode by battery pull, vol dwn + power and Vol down for cancel and it rebooted the s4 without recovery mode .

I used I337MK2stockrecovery.tar.md5 in odin and get my recovery mode back. Mine is AT&T Galaxy s4.I don't know it works for any other carriers or not.

| ★ UPDATE.ZIP ★ | ►MF3★AT&T★MK2◄ | ★ UNBRICKED ★ | ★ Jan.01.2014 ★ | - xda-developers

kfres39389

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a device that Goo Manager has worked on. After trying, it bricked my phone. Had to flash the MK2 recovery image found on XDA. Luckily, after a near heart attack, version 3.90 of Odin worked after 3.85 failed twice. To my surprise, I didn't have to wipe my data. It did unroot my phone, though. Easy enough to fix.

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) on MK2 with stock rom running Safestrap

Jozilyn Muniz

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Omg! This exact thing happened to me with twrp install through goomanager! I can't believe I didn't think about that!

Because of this I was able to fix my phone...I was so scared!! I love this site!!!:-*:-*:-*:-*:):):):):p

kfres39389

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Omg! This exact thing happened to me with twrp install through goomanager! I can't believe I didn't think about that!

Because of this I was able to fix my phone...I was so scared!! I love this site!!!:-*:-*:-*:-*:):):):):p

Lol. Glad I could help! Sorry, haven't been on really in a couple days. Also, found that after MDK, you can only install Safestrap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk