1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I root GS4 for stock experience?

I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 and love it. Using nova launcher. But I think I'd like to remove the bloatware and get as close to stock Jelly Bean as possible, maybe CM. I don't use the Air features and S Voice, however I love the camera features and use the IR Blaster all the time. Is CM my best choice? Will my phone be faster and smoother? And is there a way to still use the camera features and blaster? Sorry I'm very new to rooting.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Should I root GS4 for stock experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Rodgers View Post
    I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 and love it. Using nova launcher. But I think I'd like to remove the bloatware and get as close to stock Jelly Bean as possible, maybe CM. I don't use the Air features and S Voice, however I love the camera features and use the IR Blaster all the time. Is CM my best choice? Will my phone be faster and smoother? And is there a way to still use the camera features and blaster? Sorry I'm very new to rooting.
    CM will remove all of Samsung's features including the IR blaster and camera so if you absolutely need those than you'd be better off with something like which is somewhat of a blend between TouchWiz and stock Android. It's the 3rd ROM listed in the Link.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Now I want to try this ROM, looks awesome :P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks a lot it looks pretty great. I think I can do without those features though, so what's the best rom in your own opinion. In terms of stability and similarity to stock and update support etc.. I'm a little nervous about rooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Thanks a lot it looks pretty great. I think I can do without those features though, so what's the best rom in your own opinion. In terms of stability and similarity to stock and update support etc.. I'm a little nervous about rooting.

I don't have a lot of experience with ROMs but I'd have to say CyanogenMod for support and stability (maybe not the nightly builds) It's very similar to stock Android but it allows for a bit more customization. If you want the closest to stock experience and don't mind not being able to customize as much as Cyanogen than a Google Play Edition ROM would probably be best
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    CM will remove all of Samsung's features including the IR blaster and camera so if you absolutely need those than you'd be better off with something like which is somewhat of a blend between TouchWiz and stock Android. It's the 3rd ROM listed in the Link.
    The nightly 10.2 cm build I'm using has ir support, and the touchwiz feature to swipe to show the status bar full screen. The only thing I really miss from touchwiz now is the ability to use the front and back cameras at the same time

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

What's the difference between CM and CM with nightly support? Pros and cons to each? I realize I sound stupid haha I'm a somewhat new Android user.

What's the difference between CM and CM with nightly support? Pros and cons to each? I realize I sound stupid haha I'm a somewhat new Android user.

The only difference is the cm with nighty support will receive updates daily.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

How hard would you say the installation process is? And my risk of failure and bricking my device. I know the basics but have never rooted or flashed any rooms before.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

How hard would you say the installation process is? And my risk of failure and bricking my device. I know the basics but have never rooted or flashed any rooms before.

Not very hard once you unlock the boot loader. I thought it would be a lot harder. All you do is root, flash a custom recovery, make a backup, and then flash a custom ROM

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by: