Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4: I've got Root... Now what?

So I rooted an S4. It's my first Android phone and it took me all of no time to want to get my hands dirty to see what I could do with this thing.
    Cyanogenmod really interested me, as there is no way to install the "Google Edition" software on the Verizon model of this device (unless I'm wrong, please, PLEASE let me be wrong).

Can someone point me in the direction of good (recent, as I'm realizing that's absolutely necessary) resources to help flash custom ROMs on the Verizon S4?

I have:

Android: 4.3
    Model #: SCH-I545
    Baseband Version: I545VRUEMK2
    Kernel Version: 3.4.0 se.infra@R0210-09 #1 Wed Nov 20 12:44:43 KST 2013
    Build #: JSS15J.I545_4.3_0017
    Secure Boot Status: Type: Samsung
    Hardware Version: I545.06

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've read this far, you're awesome - and I appreciate it I've come from WPCentral as a recent convert after researching a little more into Android/Java/Linux. Loving it so far, just want to get this thing as close to stock as possible!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: I've got Root... Now what?

Welcome to Android Central
    How did you manage to root an S4 on 4.3?
    I've tried a few stock ROMs for my S4 and my personal favorite is SlimBean. Easily the best out of the ones I tried (CyanogenMod, LiquidSmooth, GPE)
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I can't remember which article I followed. But I have SuperSU installed - and Root Checker verifies that I have Root... Should I not?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    I can't remember which article I followed. But I have SuperSU installed - and Root Checker verifies that I have Root... Should I not?

Well if it says you have root, then you probably do...

Posted via Android Central App

I seem to be in a similar scenario as OP
    model: SCH -1545
    1545VRUEMK2
    secure boot status: Samsung
    device status: Custom
    Not sure if bad or good thing but: Factory reset date: 12-08-2013 (Hope I didn't hinder my self on that one. As I have read seemingly endless conflicting answers on all this...Im new as I'm sure is obvious!)
    I am rooted as well checked with teh root checker. Now much like OP I am asking....Now what! haha please enlighten me / link me to never land to read as to what things I can take advantage of now! I understand currently Flashing custom ROMs is a no go due to locked bootloader, but yeah please learn me!
    Oh, and incase anyone want's / cares I rooted successfully with

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by T1geRKat086 View Post
    I seem to be in a similar scenario as OP
    model: SCH -1545
    1545VRUEMK2
    secure boot status: Samsung
    device status: Custom
    Not sure if bad or good thing but: Factory reset date: 12-08-2013 (Hope I didn't hinder my self on that one. As I have read seemingly endless conflicting answers on all this...Im new as I'm sure is obvious!)
    I am rooted as well checked with teh root checker. Now much like OP I am asking....Now what! haha please enlighten me / link me to never land to read as to what things I can take advantage of now! I understand currently Flashing custom ROMs is a no go due to locked bootloader, but yeah please learn me!
    Oh, and incase anyone want's / cares I rooted successfully with
    I thought you had to unlock the bootloader before rooting
    Anyway, after rooting, I'd suggest flashing a custom recovery as that is what allows you to flash custom ROMs

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I thought you had to unlock the bootloader before rooting
    Anyway, after rooting, I'd suggest flashing a custom recovery as that is what allows you to flash custom ROMs

I would love other members/peoples input like success stories, because it's very possible with updates and thangs that this isn't current or right, but the research I did that ended me up here I couldn't find well anything I can remember off the top about success with custom recovery and/or then moving forward with a custom ROM with my phone build model ect (variables everywhere!) (my goal was OCing the cpu, because im a geek haha not that it really needs it) Instead I did find several accounts of varying age where Samsung "soft bricked" or said NO. Probably not a correct usage of soft brick, but yeah I read several frusterated people with software gimped S4's so as new as I am I'm not going to be a trail blazer quite yet. If I'm wrong I will be happy if someone could enlighten me how to do it semi safely or even some success accounts (understand stuff like this isn't ever 100% with out risk) long post short...Tiger is a wimp haha.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by T1geRKat086 View Post
    I would love other members/peoples input like success stories, because it's very possible with updates and thangs that this isn't current or right, but the research I did that ended me up here I couldn't find well anything I can remember off the top about success with custom recovery and/or then moving forward with a custom ROM with my phone build model ect (variables everywhere!) (my goal was OCing the cpu, because im a geek haha not that it really needs it) Instead I did find several accounts of varying age where Samsung "soft bricked" or said NO. Probably not a correct usage of soft brick, but yeah I read several frusterated people with software gimped S4's so as new as I am I'm not going to be a trail blazer quite yet. If I'm wrong I will be happy if someone could enlighten me how to do it semi safely or even some success accounts (understand stuff like this isn't ever 100% with out risk) long post short...Tiger is a wimp haha.
    I read that whole post as if I was running out of breath XD
    If you're concerned I'd just wait for an official release of a custom recovery for the 4.3 update. A few months ago the AT&T S4 didn't have a custom recovery even though people managed to root their phone.

fate has it seemingly that I smoke a bowl (nice and legit and legal here in WA now woot) and then post on here somehow. I re read it and I see what you mean.

Yeah me and my girl planning a trip there just for that reason lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

There is a different method I think for the Verizon GS4. I read the forums a lot at XDA there ,I think a section for Verizon GS4. I rooted my wife's GS4 after the OTA to 4.3 with Kingo Android. I read that is it a Malware but software didn't detect any. But as one of the posts says. There is no recovery for the MK2 yet. one has to use SafeStrap and the roms are limited on what can be flashed at this time. Seems ATT and Samsung has locked down the GS4 even tighter than when it was in the box.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    There is a different method I think for the Verizon GS4. I read the forums a lot at XDA there ,I think a section for Verizon GS4. I rooted my wife's GS4 after the OTA to 4.3 with Kingo Android. I read that is it a Malware but software didn't detect any. But as one of the posts says. There is no recovery for the MK2 yet. one has to use SafeStrap and the roms are limited on what can be flashed at this time. Seems ATT and Samsung has locked down the GS4 even tighter than when it was in the box.
    I read about some other users here managing to root their Sprint variant GS4 with Kingo root as well. Still no recoveries for any of the S4s as far as I know

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I'm going to go ahead and assume that I can't just wipe my phone and put it back at the 4.2.2 and older firmware?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Nope. Knox doesn't let you downgrade either :\
    I guess their own firmware is a security issue...

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

So beyond that - is anyone aware of a custom kernel for the baseband version I'm using? If I can flash custom ROMs on 4.3 and MK2 - I don't mind much else. I wanted to try HyperDrive or CyanogenMod.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Even if you rooted the S4 on 4.3, there is still no way to flash other ROMs or kernels since there is still no custom recoveries for the MK2 baseband. Someone else here on AC said you might still be able to flash ROMs with Safe strap but the list of ROMs is very limited. I'd head over to xda.developers.com and see if there is any progress with 4.3

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Even if you rooted the S4 on 4.3, there is still no way to flash other ROMs or kernels since there is still no custom recoveries for the MK2 baseband. Someone else here on AC said you might still be able to flash ROMs with Safe strap but the list of ROMs is very limited. I'd head over to xda.developers.com and see if there is any progress with 4.3

^^^^^^This.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

that sucks. I shouldn't have updated.

So I'm going to assume that ALSO means that I can't unroot since there are no recoveries?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

You can unroot by flashing the stock firmware or unrooting via the SuperSU app

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Lol the update was available when I got the phone from the mail. I should have done some research prior to rooting on MK2.

Okay. So now without being able to flash custom ROMS - what else should I do?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

You can still take advantage of apps like Titanium Backup and keep everything backed up there. You can install Xposed framework (Not 100% on this) and customize your phone to death...among other things

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

My goal is to get everything as close to stock as possible. Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5. So what do I have to do to get this closest to that?

I imagine having to wait until a custom recovery is made for 4.3 and MK2 - then being able to load CyanogenMod or HyperDrive. I've been looking for "skins" or "themes" that would change the look - but I'm uninterested in that. I want as close to the experience as I can get.

I've been on XDA too... I thought I was nerdy. Holy moly.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

My goal is to get everything as close to stock as possible. Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 5. So what do I have to do to get this closest to that?

I imagine having to wait until a custom recovery is made for 4.3 and MK2 - then being able to load CyanogenMod or HyperDrive. I've been looking for "skins" or "themes" that would change the look - but I'm uninterested in that. I want as close to the experience as I can get.

I've been on XDA too... I thought I was nerdy. Holy moly.
    HyperDrive is a TouchWiz based ROM so that wouldn't do it. Look into the Safestrap method, the ROMs are limited but there is probably a stock Android ROM for it.
    Most people here know about XDA

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

So what I gathered for HyperDrive is that while it is a TouchWiz based ROM, it would also allow for getting the AOSP experience, or was I reading that wrong? I'll look into Safestrap - if I can get stock without limiting too much functionality, that would be awesome.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

So what I gathered for HyperDrive is that while it is a TouchWiz based ROM, it would also allow for getting the AOSP experience, or was I reading that wrong? I'll look into Safestrap - if I can get stock without limiting too much functionality, that would be awesome.
    I think it has Xposed framework by default so you can customize it to look like Stock Android in some regards.
    You mentioned that the Nexus 5 wasn't on Verizon, were you planning on returning the S4 or something? The Moto X is as close as you're going to get to a Nexus or GPE and it's on VZW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast