1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default rooting this s4

i have an s4 with verizon. its the sch i545 one. anyways ive seen the cyanogenmod and i really like it

now im going to root it so i can get it on my phone. ive already backed everything up with kies just in case something goes wrong. things in my sd card are also backed up on my computer

but i just wanted to know a few things

1. if something goes wrong and the phone is bricked, could it be unbricked?

2. i read somewhere that removing the verizon bootrom off of my phone is really risky and could brick it. is that true?

3. once bricked i can just head over to the cyanogen site and get everything from there right?

4. if i need to give my phone back to verizon is there a way i can restore? my friend told me about some program thats needed that will make it seem as if the phone was never rooted. i think it was called triangle or something

thanks in advance

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: rooting this s4

Welcome to Android Central
    1. If it is soft-bricked, yes. It's easy to fix for the most part. If it's hard bricked you'd probably need to find someone who offers JTAG services to repair it
    2. Unlocking the bootloader can brick the phone, make sure you follow the instructions step by step to avoid this.
    3. I think you meant rooted, not bricked, and yes, you can get it from their site or xda.developers.com (There are others but I'd stick to those for CM)
    4. Yes, you can use Triangle Away to reset the flash counter as long as you're not on 4.3. Flashing the stock ROM would return it to how it was out of the box
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    1. If it is soft-bricked, yes. It's easy to fix for the most part. If it's hard bricked you'd probably need to find someone who offers JTAG services to repair it
    2. Unlocking the bootloader can brick the phone, make sure you follow the instructions step by step to avoid this.
    3. I think you meant rooted, not bricked, and yes, you can get it from their site or xda.developers.com (There are others but I'd stick to those for CM)
    4. Yes, you can use Triangle Away to reset the flash counter as long as you're not on 4.3. Flashing the stock ROM would return it to how it was out of the box
    thanks!

and yikes, im on 4.3

Global Posts
    5,529 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Troy the Creator View Post
    thanks!

and yikes, im on 4.3
    :\ Good luck with rooting your phone. I think there's a few methods now but still no custom recoveries which means no custom ROMs

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

just wanted to bump this

ive found a way to root my phone. id be using saferoot. i found it on xda

anyways i wanted to know if you guys know of any stock android-like roms out there? so far ive found hyperdrive, but just wondering if theres any better