Updating S4 to KitKat when released.......anything I should know??

mvpmit12

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to this forum and to android too so sorry in advance if I ask some nooby questions.

AT&T-1337-MK2-4.3-Rooted

My concern is that KitKat for the galaxy s4 models will be rolling out soon and I would love to update it OTA but will I lose root if I do so?

And if I do lose root and choose to update it anyway, should I do anything before updating? Like uninstalling root apps or getting rid of the root itself? Would the unroot option given by SuperSu effectively eliminate root?

Also, if I do update it to KitKat, how long do you think before a new root will be released for it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to this forum and to android too so sorry in advance if I ask some nooby questions.

AT&T-1337-MK2-4.3-Rooted

My concern is that KitKat for the galaxy s4 models will be rolling out soon and I would love to update it OTA but will I lose root if I do so?

And if I do lose root and choose to update it anyway, should I do anything before updating? Like uninstalling root apps or getting rid of the root itself? Would the unroot option given by SuperSu effectively eliminate root?

Also, if I do update it to KitKat, how long do you think before a new root will be released for it?

Welcome to the forums.
Rooting typically stops OTA updates. If you want to accept it, you have to unroot, and then wait until someone figures out a way to reroot.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Root does not typically stop OTA unless the root method modifies some system files, some root methods on devices do, some don't.
If you want to be clean use one of the no-wipe firmwares from XDA if available for your device.

I would typically wait until a root method is found and a stock version of the ODIN firmware is available. YMMV

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
well if youre going to jump to bleeding edege on the s4 just be sure to have a copy of your old stock rom some people love aosp some hate it depends on you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch