Galaxy S4: Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue After An Attempt To Revert Back to Stock TouchWiz

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The other day I was trying to revert my Samsung Galaxy S IV (T-Mobile SGH-M919) from Cyanogenmod to Stock Touchwiz again. I tried following a couple of tutorials around the internet in order to properly do it, most of them, if not all of them, said to use Odin and to use this file in order to revert it back:

fileodin.png

When I used it in Odin, and and followed the directions given, I'd get a fail error like this:

odin.png

I tried to redo it a couple of times, each time I had the same error, and could not revert back to Stock. Then I thought that maybe it was because I had the MD5 file I needed, but the download didn't include a PIT file as well. After a while, I just gave up on trying to revert my phone back, and tried to restart it into my Cyanogenmod again. Once I restarted the phone, this error came up:

IMG_0562.jpg

I can't access the operating system, the only thing I CAN access is the Downloading thing you use for Odin. I searched google and looked for others who had this same issue, and none of their solutions works. I've also tried to use Kies to restore the phone, and Kies didn't even recognize anything was wrong with the phone.

If anyone has done something similar, or knows how to fix it, I'd appreciate learning how :) (And I'd rather not have to buy a new phone and have to pay the rest of the $528 I still owe on the phone :p)

Thanks in advance,
Maelstrom728

Last edited by a moderator:

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue After An Attempt To Revert Back to Stock TouchWiz

Bump.

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance. One of my friends from work apparently did the same thing as me and had to get his GS4's motherboard replaced. Still hoping for a cheaper solution though :)

Regards,
Maelstrom728

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue After An Attempt To Revert Back to Stock TouchWiz

Did you make sure kies did not have a process running in the background while using odin? All kies processes need to be killed before using odin.

Another thing, before running cyanogenmod, what stock ROM version were you running? After MK2, you can't flash older stock rom tars due to the bootloader (can't go back from MK2+ to MDL)

As long as you can access download mode you can restore. Take that same picture, but from download mode, make sure its close enough so I can see the text on the screen.

Extra things: the md5 is already built in the tar, and, you never use a PIT file with odin for just flashing stock roms. An md5 check failure will let you know it was that. This is completely different, this is an authentication failure right after flashing one of the bootloader images (aboot.mbn). My assumption right now is that you were on MK2 and you are flashing MDL, which you can't do. But still, I need that download mode picture.

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

The stock ROM I was running at the time before I installed Cyanogenmod was the last Jelly Bean 4.3 version of TouchWiz that T-Mobile had on the Galaxy S 4 in December.

Also, my old iPhone can't seem to focus on the smaller text at the top left of the screen, but here's what it says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
SYSTEM BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x1
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMMC BURST MODE: enabled

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

The stock ROM I was running at the time before I installed Cyanogenmod was the last Jelly Bean 4.3 version of TouchWiz that T-Mobile had on the Galaxy S 4 in December.

Also, my old iPhone can't seem to focus on the smaller text at the top left of the screen, but here's what it says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
SYSTEM BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMMC BURST MODE: enabled

You were on MK2 (4.3), and you were trying to flash MDL (4.2.2, as per your first picture). The bootloader is locked against downgrades. Also, the bolded part indicates your warranty is void (another pointer that you were running MK2 and can't downgrade).

You need to flash an MK2 stock tar file (M919UVUEMK2). Register on this website (sammobile.com), so you can download the tar file from this link
Firmwares | SamMobile | Page 3

Raffe Bergwall

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Hello,

I have the exakt same problem. I downloaded "I9505XXUEMKF_I9505VDSEMK6_I9505XXUEMKF_HOME.tar" from Sammobile and I get error "sw rev check fail fused 4 binary 3" on the display on the phone. Before I rooted my S4 I hade 4.4.2 on the device, but the version on Sammobile is only 4.3 for Sweden.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Hello,

I have the exakt same problem. I downloaded "I9505XXUEMKF_I9505VDSEMK6_I9505XXUEMKF_HOME.tar" from Sammobile and I get error "sw rev check fail fused 4 binary 3" on the display on the phone. Before I rooted my S4 I hade 4.4.2 on the device, but the version on Sammobile is only 4.3 for Sweden.
Which rom from 4.4.2? stock touchwiz?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Hello,

You can't downgrade your firmware if you're on anything after 4.3

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm currently downloading the file now, and will reply again once it completes or fails. Thanks in advance :)

MK2 is the 4.3 firmware. I'm sure you were on 4.2.2 when you flashed CM, so make sure you want to stay on TouchWiz from now on, because you won't be able to flash AOSP-based ROMs once you are on 4.3

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

MK2 is the 4.3 firmware. I'm sure you were on 4.2.2 when you flashed CM, so make sure you want to stay on TouchWiz from now on, because you won't be able to flash AOSP-based ROMs once you are on 4.3

Read above, he was in 4.3. His warranty bit is also on 0x1 and he is running the tmobile variant. No locked bootloaders. He can flash whatever he wants at this point, including aosp. Only at&t and verizon have locked bootloaders that don't allow anything. 4.2.2 does not have the warranty bit status in download mode on the tmobile variant.

Tmobile firmware list is composed of MDB, MDL and MK2. Only at&t and verizon have MF3 based on 4.2.2 which is a minor build mostly released to fix the loki exploit.

I'm currently downloading the file now, and will reply again once it completes or fails. Thanks in advance :)

Make sure you wipe dalvik, cache and data before flashing. If the phone hangs at the tmobile logo for too long in the first start after the flash, restart into recovery, wipe dalvik, cache and data again then restart.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Read above, he was in 4.3. His warranty bit is also on 0x1 and he is running the tmobile variant. No locked bootloaders. He can flash whatever he wants at this point, including aosp. Only at&t and verizon have locked bootloaders that don't allow anything. 4.2.2 does not have the warranty bit status in download mode on the tmobile variant. And, his bootloader failed authentication when flashing 4.2.2.

Tmobile firmware list is composed of MDB, MDL and MK2. Only at&t and verizon have MF3 based on 4.2.2 which is a minor build mostly released to fix the loki exploit.

Make sure you wipe dalvik, cache and data before flashing. If the phone hangs at the tmobile logo for too long in the first start after the flash, restart into recovery, wipe dalvik, cache and data again then restart.

I didn't see that post. Thanks :p
As far as I knew, Knox blocked any attempts at flashing custom recoveries and ROMs. I wonder if he used SafeStrap...

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if he used SafeStrap...

No, I didn't xD When I got CM, I installed through their installer because I couldn't seem to get my phone to root without it.

I can't boot into recovery anymore, when I use Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons at the same time, it just goes back to that Kies error again.

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

No, I didn't xD When I got CM, I installed through their installer because I couldn't seem to get my phone to root without it.

I can't boot into recovery anymore, when I use Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons at the same time, it just goes back to that Kies error again.
Don't worry then. Do it after the flash if it hangs for too long.

I didn't see that post. Thanks :p
As far as I knew, Knox blocked any attempts at flashing custom recoveries and ROMs. I wonder if he used SafeStrap...

Thats only on the at&t variant. Tmobile has a complete and fully unlocked bootloader, he can flash anything even on 4.3 or 4.4.2 or 5.0.0 or 6. Locking the bootloader is a carrier decision, not samsung. The only thing that happens if he hasn't flashed anything customized on a tmobile variant, or i9505 (international lte) is that he will blow the warranty bit from 0x0 to 0x1 and samsung has proof to deny his warranty (he's on 0x1 since he flashed CM). Safestrap does not exist for tmobile.

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

I've got the phone successfully working now. Thanks for the help :)

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

I've got the phone successfully working now. Thanks for the help :)
Rooting it is a bit different than usual if you want to stay in touchwiz, you need to get rid of the knox module. You can do a CF-root flash with odin, then go to play store and download supersu, launch supersu and it will prompt you to disable knox and press yes.

You can also flash CF-root with odin, flash a custom recovery with odin, then from the recovery, flash a knox remover zip (I can point you to it if you want), and then flash supersu from recovery (chainfire's website).

Maelstrom728

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Rooting it is a bit different than usual if you want to stay in touchwiz, you need to get rid of the knox module. You can do a CF-root flash with odin, then go to play store and download supersu, launch supersu and it will prompt you to disable knox and press yes.

You can also flash CF-root with odin, flash a custom recovery with odin, then from the recovery, flash a knox remover zip (I can point you to it if you want), and then flash supersu from recovery (chainfire's website).

Currently I'm just glad to have the phone working again. I'll refer back to here if I ever want to root it again.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

CF Auto-root installs the Super SU app. No need to download the app separately

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

CF Auto-root installs the Super SU app. No need to download the app separately

On knox sometimes you have to. It does not show up on the launcher and it needs to be installed again from the play store. Its one of the ways people managed to root 4.3 on xda. It needed to be redownloaded. The su binaries are there, but the apk itself is unlaunchable, thus can't cancel knox or update binaries or provide su requests.

Gdroider

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Hello , i have the same problem.
I bought a secondhanded S4 ( i95005) LTE and i saw the Suser App on it.
I thought that it was rooted and it was indeed so i decided to use ODIN to flash the stock rom.
The rom it had was 4.4.2 but it was rooted and in the odin mode it said " Binary : Custom " .
i've tried to flash the 4.3 official and it failed on Aboot.mbn file.

Should i try the 4.4.2 official rom ?
is the new bootloader included into the md5 file ?

Please help !!!!

PS : I can acces download mode

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane