Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4: ROM backup help

Good evening. I just rooted my phone, but I can't figure out how to back up my current rom and install CWM. The last time I rooted my phone was with my droid incredible. I am stuck right now. I have rom manager and therefore supposedly CWM, but when I try to backup my current rom it restarts into standard android recovery. I really want to get rid of touch wiz, but I also want to have an easy return to stock again if I need to. I used to have cyanogenmod on my other phoneand it was awesome. Is it good on the S4? What build/rom is fully operational? Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Rom backup help

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Good evening. I just rooted my phone, but I can't figure out how to back up my current rom and install CWM. The last time I rooted my phone was with my droid incredible. I am stuck right now. I have rom manager and therefore supposedly CWM, but when I try to backup my current rom it restarts into standard android recovery. I really want to get rid of touch wiz, but I also want to have an easy return to stock again if I need to. I used to have cyanogenmod on my other phoneand it was awesome. Is it good on the S4? What build/rom is fully operational? Thank you for your help.

Welcome to AC
    You can't make a nandroid backup without a custom recovery, and ROM manager doesn't install it for you. You need to install CWM first, then make a backup, followed by a custom ROM. I recommend SlimKat

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! I went to CWM's website, but I can't find out how to install it. Do I need another program? Thanks again!

Global Posts
    9,810 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! I went to CWM's website, but I can't find out how to install it. Do I need another program? Thanks again!

You use Odin to flash CWM or TWRP.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Default Re: Galaxy S4: ROM backup help

I just used safe strap nandroid.... it really depends on what firm ware your on if your at&t mk2 4.3 your only option is safe strap

must have unlocked boot loaders!!