Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By limoman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Default How Do I Delete the OTA Update and Its Notification Bar Alert/Icon?

I have a rooted Sprint S4 that recently auto-downloaded the latest OTA update. However, because my phone is rooted, I can't install this update. How do I delete the update - or at least remove the icon in the notification bar that I have the "System Update Downloaded - touch to install"? Thanks.

Default Re: How Do I Delete the OTA Update and Its Notification Bar Alert/Icon?

I found this on another site:

How to Disable OTA updates on a Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

If you have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 you can delete these two files fota.client.apk and fwupgrade.apk with root explorer in system/apps. If you get an error that filesystem is write protected, just make sure while using root explorer click on R/W button at the top. If you have installed an stock rooted odexed version, you can also include these two files fotaclient.odex and fwupgrade.odex. You can also use this features if you have Titanium Backup by freezing or deleting them eventually.

• Run the Root explorer app
    • Mount /system as read/write
    • Navigate to /system/app/
    • Delete these fota.client.apk and fwupgrade.apk
    • You can also delete these fotaclient.odex and fwupgrade.odex.
    • Reboot

Another method is by renaming a certain system apps to prevent it coming, you must have a root level file manager or use ES File Explorer.

• Run the Root explorer app
    • Mount /system as read/write
    • Navigate to /system/app/
    • Rename wssyncmldm.apk to wssyncmldm.apk.bak
    • Reboot

However, this solution will only work in short term, the update comes back to haunt you again after a certain period of time. There is an apps called OTA Root keeper from Google Play Store that you should try to use, Its an apps that temporarily removes and keep the root from your device once you apply any OTA updates and then simply re-root back again once the update has finished.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Thanks so much for the detailed response.
    VDub2174 likes this.

No problem
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

I found a simple way to remove the notification that the update has been downloaded and is ready to install. Just long press it from the notification pane. Then go to "App Info" and uncheck the show notifications box. It doesn't remove the downloaded file, but at least removes the notification alert.

Actually that doesn't do anything on most phones. You are lucky.