Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I updated my Verizon S4 to MK2 using kies. I would like to remove the phones encryption?

During the update kies asked me for a password which encrypted the whole phone with the password. The password is needed to decrypt the phone every time I turn it on.
    The select screen lock page does not allow me to turn off the screen lock, I can only choice pattern, pin or password but I cannot go back to just swipe to turn on.
    The Samsung rep at Best Buy thought the Kies program can decrypt the phone but I don't see how.
    Can someone tell me how to decrypt the phone so I can just use the swype to turn on.

Global Posts
    7,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: I updated my Verizon S4 to MK2 using kies. I would like to remove the phones encryption?

Quote Originally Posted by pego99 View Post
    During the update kies asked me for a password which encrypted the whole phone with the password. The password is needed to decrypt the phone every time I turn it on.
    The select screen lock page does not allow me to turn off the screen lock, I can only choice pattern, pin or password but I cannot go back to just swipe to turn on.
    The Samsung rep at Best Buy thought the Kies program can decrypt the phone but I don't see how.
    Can someone tell me how to decrypt the phone so I can just use the swype to turn on.
    Can't you factory reset from within the phone system settings and start over? I would imagine that you could, so give that a try. Be sure to backup your data before proceeding as it will delete User data.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: I updated my Verizon S4 to MK2 using kies. I would like to remove the phones encryption?

Thanks but I will wait till I get the GS5.
    I can live with this for now.
    It's weird as I can change the password but just can't have no password.

You can't change the option to none under security?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app