Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions about Rooting

Ok. I want to root my US Cellular Galaxy S4 and get cyanogenmod. They have a really easy installer to use and I have some questions and concerns before I go through with it.

1. How should I back up my data before I root? It says to back my data up but I don't know the safest way to do that.

2. I've seen a bunch of problems that people have when they root and I don't want to have them. Can I take any precautions before so I don't have these errors?

3. Other than it becoming as close as possible to stock android, what will I gain out of rooting? What apps will I lose?

4. How can, if I needed to, return back to stock ROM and have all I had before rooting?

5. The warranty issue. Is there any way to get my warranty back after rooting? I'm really afraid of breaking my phone after rooting even though I've had it for a year.

6. Any other tips you can give me before I root? Should I do something else that I haven't heard of yet?

Default Re: Questions about Rooting

OK there is no real good backup until after you root... but most likely rooting the phone won't wipe your memory it will simply add root access to your .bin folder I suggest you use saferoot on xda if your on mk2 boot loader now sadly there is no known way to counteract the knox warranty void flag so once you put that custom recovery onto the gs4 to install cyanogen that's it done but if you want to flash touch wiz based roms it shouldn't throw the flag if you use safe strap and for backing up your apps titanium backup what you need is super.su it has a script that disables the knox Se unity system that instantly bypasses a lot of issues if you want more info pm me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Questions about Rooting

If you need to go back to stock you need an external sd card and to make a nandroid back up in the recovery it backs up everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app