S3 to S4 - Titanium Backup restore

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I currently have an S3 that I love. One of my family members lost his phone and it was cheaper for all of us on the family plan to upgrade to S4s. I basically have a couple days to deactivate and send in my S3 :( .. Any way, I have all of my stuff backed up on my S3 using TiB. I figured that I'd root the S4, install TiB onto it, and restore everything to the new phone. However, I just read on the sticky concerning how to root the S4 that you shouldn't restore a TiB backup from another device to your S4. Why is that? What I should I do? I have ~400 apps and I can not go through the installation process one at a time.

Thank you!

chris7021

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I currently have an S3 that I love. One of my family members lost his phone and it was cheaper for all of us on the family plan to upgrade to S4s. I basically have a couple days to deactivate and send in my S3 :( .. Any way, I have all of my stuff backed up on my S3 using TiB. I figured that I'd root the S4, install TiB onto it, and restore everything to the new phone. However, I just read on the sticky concerning how to root the S4 that you shouldn't restore a TiB backup from another device to your S4. Why is that? What I should I do? I have ~400 apps and I can not go through the installation process one at a time.

Thank you!

couple of questions before i can help you with this issue.

where did you saved the tib backup?.. i hope external sd

when you open tib did you modified the backup folder location and select the 1 from the external sd?.. otherwise it will be on the phone storage with 0 backups

if you did the steps above right then heres the next question => when you were selecting apps you want to restore on the s4 from the s3 backup, did you select them manually or you just select them all and restore? cuz if you select them all and click restore then theres a big problem...

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey Chris thanks for your reply. I actually didn't restore them yet. I did a backup to the default TiB folder and then synced it to my google drive. I actually deleted the backups on my phone because I didnt have enough space to keep them there. So all the backups are in my Drive. Btw, I did the app+data batch backup. What should I do from here?

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
couple of questions before i can help you with this issue.

where did you saved the tib backup?.. i hope external sd

when you open tib did you modified the backup folder location and select the 1 from the external sd?.. otherwise it will be on the phone storage with 0 backups

if you did the steps above right then heres the next question => when you were selecting apps you want to restore on the s4 from the s3 backup, did you select them manually or you just select them all and restore? cuz if you select them all and click restore then theres a big problem...

Also, I've never understood this... I was under the impression that I do not have an external sd card (I have the Verizon s3 with 16gb), yet I have a directory called /extsd. Does this mean I actually have an external SD card? I thought an external SD card is one that you can remove from the phone.

Roy Mustang

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey Chris thanks for your reply. I actually didn't restore them yet. I did a backup to the default TiB folder and then synced it to my google drive. I actually deleted the backups on my phone because I didnt have enough space to keep them there. So all the backups are in my Drive. Btw, I did the app+data batch backup. What should I do from here?

When you restore the backup make sure that you do not restore any of the system apps as obviously they are different for s3 and s4.

What i mean is that make sure you select the apps you downloaded from play store only and there should be no problem.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

chris7021

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

okay so do this when you get a chance.

*copy the whole folder (titanium backup) into your external sd (the 1 you gonna use for your s4).
*and just a hint just in case you dont have tib in the s4, also copy titaniumbackup apk file in there.

*when you done doing the tranfer to the external sd, install tib into your s4 (of course you have to be rooted to do that, you should know that)

- - - Updated - - -

*when tib is done just open it and access grant root
*press menu and select preferences
*select backup folder location
*select detect (whole device) wait until it finds the location from your external sd and select that 1 and then on the bottom right select "use the current folder.
*app will exit when done with that
*open tib again
*select backup/restore
*select the check on the bottom right
*wait until it loads
*now scroll down where it says "restore"
*check the 1 that says "restore all apps with data"
* from there always select "let me choose myself"
*deselect all
*and star checking the apps you want to restore (dont check systems apps cuz obviously there not the same since they were froman s3 and now you using a s4).
*when done selecting just press the top right check and sit tight until is done (i normally have my phone plug in when doing that just in case the battery dies)

*let me know if anything