Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 1-Click Tether and Verizon Mobile Hotspot

A while ago (not sure how many months), there was a Android update that crippled the functionality of 1-Click Tether. For those that do not know, 1-Click Tether allowed me to access the Verizon Mobile Hotspot without the monthly hotspot plan. Does anyone currently use this software on Verizon? If so, exactly how do you use it? If not, does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Default Re: 1-Click Tether and Verizon Mobile Hotspot

I just turn on the mobile hot spot on my phone. no extra fees, just uses my data plan.
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    I just turn on the mobile hot spot on my phone. no extra fees, just uses my data plan.
    Hi joe_fresh. No go for me. Are you sure you do not have the Mobile Hot Spot on your plan? Here is a screen shot of when I try to access the Mobile Hot Spot via either the app or via 1-Click Tether. This is not a priority for me but I would like to get that functionality back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-Click Tether and Verizon Mobile Hotspot-screenshot_2014-05-07-15-03-41.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

I have one of the shared plans, So it is included. If you are on an older plan then yes you have to pay for it or find a a workaround app.
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One

When you see the "subscription error" message, try pressing the "home" button (center bottom) rather than the "cancel" or "back" softkeys. In prior versions, this left the hotspot active whilst dismissing the error notice.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by androidcentral8450 View Post
    A while ago (not sure how many months), there was a Android update that crippled the functionality of 1-Click Tether. For those that do not know, 1-Click Tether allowed me to access the Verizon Mobile Hotspot without the monthly hotspot plan. Does anyone currently use this software on Verizon? If so, exactly how do you use it? If not, does anyone have an alternative suggestion?
    I use the stock hotspot app, and pay $30 for unlimited hotspot

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    TxAndroidGuy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryna View Post
    When you see the "subscription error" message, try pressing the "home" button (center bottom) rather than the "cancel" or "back" softkeys. In prior versions, this left the hotspot active whilst dismissing the error notice.
    Hi Mysteryna. Thanks for that but no dice. That worked in previous iterations but I guess Verizon plugged that loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00
    I use the stock hotspot app, and pay $30 for unlimited hotspot
    Hi dpham00. The phone is mine but the plan is my company's. We have unlimited data but no hotspot.

Meh, unless 1-Click finds a workaround, I may just forgo it. I primarily used it when I was commuting with my laptop and such. I no longer do that so it is not really as much of a priority to me.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by androidcentral8450 View Post
    Hi Mysteryna. Thanks for that but no dice. That worked in previous iterations but I guess Verizon plugged that loophole.

Hi dpham00. The phone is mine but the plan is my company's. We have unlimited data but no hotspot.

Meh, unless 1-Click finds a workaround, I may just forgo it. I primarily used it when I was commuting with my laptop and such. I no longer do that so it is not really as much of a priority to me.
    Fox Fi has found a work around, and I can attest that it works fantastically. 1 click may be able to do the same thing, otherwise the 5$ for the Foxfi key is well worth it!

Posted via Android Central App

Tvouge -
    Please share fox fis work around as my S4 is no longer able to use Fox Fi.

Thank you
    JT

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

What I meant is that the programmers behind foxfi have found a method that works for them. I just tested it (on the latest version Verizon S4) and confirm it still works. I can break this down for you.

1. Search FoxFi in the play store.
    2. Download the foxfi app. (Free!)
    3. Run foxfi. Follow the onscreen instructions and test the connection.
    4. If that all works, you'll want to buy the FoxFi key (you can search that in the play store or there's a link in the app), since the free version will disconnect after a set amount of mb shared.

Posted via the Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

For those who may still be following this thread, there is a sure-fire method to use the hot spot functionality of your device. The one caveat is your device has to be rooted. I used this method a few months ago and it worked flawlessly. Here is the video tutorial link: