Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I have a few questions about rooting. Help please?

I've wanted to root my samsung galaxy s4 *sgh-i337m* for some time now. But I have a few questions about it, here they are.

1) My phone is with Koodo *canada*, is there a certain rooting process I must use?
    2)Is it possible to completely brick my device whiles rooting? *Not soft, hard,super hard, super soft*, Just completely dead?
    3)If I UN-ROOT my device do I regain my warranty?
    4)What's the absolute safest way to root my device?
    5)What is 'ROM'?
    6)Can my device get bricked if I install an app that requires root?

Those are basically all my questions, please reply with some or all answers, heck even some information about rooting. I did research but everyone keeps saying if it get's bricked, just 'Flash ROM' it or something. Also, Haven't found anything about a koodo root.
    Thanks.

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: I have a few questions about rooting. Help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboomzx View Post
    I've wanted to root my samsung galaxy s4 *sgh-i337m* for some time now. But I have a few questions about it, here they are.

1) My phone is with Koodo *canada*, is there a certain rooting process I must use?
    2)Is it possible to completely brick my device whiles rooting? *Not soft, hard,super hard, super soft*, Just completely dead?
    3)If I UN-ROOT my device do I regain my warranty?
    4)What's the absolute safest way to root my device?
    5)What is 'ROM'?
    6)Can my device get bricked if I install an app that requires root?

Those are basically all my questions, please reply with some or all answers, heck even some information about rooting. I did research but everyone keeps saying if it get's bricked, just 'Flash ROM' it or something. Also, Haven't found anything about a koodo root.
    Thanks.
    Welcome to the forums.
    1. There probably is a variant for Canadian versions. Just make sure you read everything about the process before starting.
    2. Possible, but unlikely. So long as you use the proper root procedure for your device (and typically build number) you should be fine.
    3. As far as I know, no. If Samsung finds out that you did it, the warranty is void. But it depends on what happens and who you go through. I think most insurances won't care if the device is rooted if the screen is cracked, etc...
    4. I dislike one click rooting methods. Not they don't work, but you learn nothing of your phone.
    5. A ROM is the OS or Android. Notice how Samsung looks different from LG, and HTC? They are all Android, and the OS is a little different. Those are examples of ROMs.
    5a. If you are looking at flashing (installing) ROMs, I applaud you. But, take 2 pieces of advise, and you will see very few headaches. 1. Make a Nandroid (backup) of you ROM before flashing anything. 2. Always flash ROMs meant for your device.
    6. If you are already rooted, no. Even if you are not rooted, it just won't work.

Biggest thing I can suggest about rooting is read or watch everything you can about rooting your device. Ask any questions here before starting anything. As for videos, watch several a few times. Take notes. Also look up a couple other things: 1. how to unroot, 2. common trouble shooting tips.

Only reason I suggest the last few things is, not that I don't want to help you, far from it. But let's say there is a hiccup, and you come back and say that you tried this, this and that, it's almost like we are cutting right to the chase.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    18,459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: I have a few questions about rooting. Help please?

Forgot to mention: if you follow rooting guides for your model number, sgh-i337m, that should make things a lot easier.

http://galaxys4root.com/

The guy who posts videos does wonderful work with root. Watch the videos a few times, take notes, as any questions before starting. He also reviews ROMs in pretty good detail. So you get a little bit of a sneak peek before even flashing.
    Last edited by Golfdriver97; 05-31-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here