Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting problem. Oh, and Im a Noob.

Just picked up my Samsung Galaxy S4. Great device!
    My device is Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 running KitKat 4.4.2, Build # KOT49H.1545VRUFNC5.

Anyway, want to back up my data on previous phone using Titanium Backup and transfer to new S4, but, apparently, I need root access.
    So I've rooted my old device successfully. Then I rooted my S4 using motochopper. Looks like it was MOSTLY successful (it says it was); I have the SuperUser app by Clockworkmod (with the blue "#" sign logo). But when I open it, it says something about the Superuser binary (su) must be updated.
    It gives me then the options to "cancel" or perform "recovery install". When I click "recovery install", it says there was an error and to send a log of error to developer. clicking "cancel" of course, does nothing. Well, if I try to open titanium backup, it says it cant obtain root access.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Superuser app, installing other apps like the SuperSU or the app by ChainsDD. I've tried re-rooting. Still not working. Every super user app says there's something wrong with the binary.
    I've spent 2 hours researching on the internet, and I've found several posts that say, "oh! that's an easy fix! just flash this, or push that, ADB something or other", what?
    Too technical.
    I'm pretty sure I could flash something if I knew what program to use and what files to actually flash. Same with pushing. What's ADB? do I need it? Whats TWRP or CMW? do I need those?
    To sum up: how can I get my root working?
    Thank you

Default Re: Rooting problem. Oh, and Im a Noob.

You said it mentioned something about recovery?

TWRP and CWM are custom recoveries used to flash ROMs or wipe your phone.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Welcome to the forums BTW
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I don't have any recovery software installed, that I know of. There was a recovery install option that failed.

Download RootChecker from the Play Store to see if you were given full root access just so we can see if it was given to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mervil View Post
    Just picked up my Samsung Galaxy S4. Great device!
    My device is Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-1545 running KitKat 4.4.2, Build # KOT49H.1545VRUFNC5.

Anyway, want to back up my data on previous phone using Titanium Backup and transfer to new S4, but, apparently, I need root access.
    So I've rooted my old device successfully. Then I rooted my S4 using motochopper. Looks like it was MOSTLY successful (it says it was); I have the SuperUser app by Clockworkmod (with the blue "#" sign logo). But when I open it, it says something about the Superuser binary (su) must be updated.
    It gives me then the options to "cancel" or perform "recovery install". When I click "recovery install", it says there was an error and to send a log of error to developer. clicking "cancel" of course, does nothing. Well, if I try to open titanium backup, it says it cant obtain root access.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Superuser app, installing other apps like the SuperSU or the app by ChainsDD. I've tried re-rooting. Still not working. Every super user app says there's something wrong with the binary.
    I've spent 2 hours researching on the internet, and I've found several posts that say, "oh! that's an easy fix! just flash this, or push that, ADB something or other", what?
    Too technical.
    I'm pretty sure I could flash something if I knew what program to use and what files to actually flash. Same with pushing. What's ADB? do I need it? Whats TWRP or CMW? do I need those?
    To sum up: how can I get my root working?
    Thank you
    check this link out
    [HOW TO] Flash recovery through Odin - xda-developers
    you may need to look for a more updated recovery. but yeah, full guide to flash recovery through odin

infact, scratch that comment about the updated recovery. this one should work fine
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Using root checker, it says I DONT have root access and SU is not found.

This Odin thing... do I install on my computer?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Also, following those instructions on Odin, what is it exactly that I'll be flashing? Somebody's custom ROM?

Global Posts
    24,871 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Here is more info on Odin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-via-odin.html

I would go here and try to reroot: http://galaxys4root.com
    Find the instructions for your carrier.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    VDub2174 likes this.