Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlock bootloader verizon galaxy s4?

Is it possible to unlock the bootloader of a Verizon galaxy s4 running kitkat (4.4.2)? I already have the phone rooted and wanted to try out a rom like cyanogenmod.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Unlock bootloader verizon galaxy s4?

Hey I'm in the same boat.

I'm on Baseband version i545vrufnc5 .

I'm new to this and trying to figure out how it all works, but does that mean every verizon samsung galaxy s4 that's running kit kat 4.4.2 is on i545vrufnc5 ?

I'm rooted, but when I try to install a recovery program I get the message "System Software not authorized by verizon wireless is installed" upon rebooting into recovery mode.
    From what I've read I can use Odin to install an older kernel, prior to the Knox app and locked bootloader. Then I can install recovery program and the latest cyanogenmod.

Can anyone confirm this? Hate to have a bricked phone.

You can not downgrade to mdk (the unlock able bootloader) once you have upgraded to nc5 you are pretty much stuck. (you COULD experiment with Jtag though I have really no idea what it is or how it works. I have heard that you could unlock bootloaders with it though.)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Turu View Post
    Hey I'm in the same boat.

I'm on Baseband version i545vrufnc5 .

I'm new to this and trying to figure out how it all works, but does that mean every verizon samsung galaxy s4 that's running kit kat 4.4.2 is on i545vrufnc5 ?

I'm rooted, but when I try to install a recovery program I get the message "System Software not authorized by verizon wireless is installed" upon rebooting into recovery mode.
    From what I've read I can use Odin to install an older kernel, prior to the Knox app and locked bootloader. Then I can install recovery program and the latest cyanogenmod.

Can anyone confirm this? Hate to have a bricked phone.

Verizon has already updated to in 45 run nk1 and to my knowledge the older kernel won't work either

Depending on how you updated your phone. Some "true rooting" cannot be accomplished without returning the phone to its original programming. Kies updates can be evil this way. You can use Odin to bring the phone back to its original software version, then try again.

SlimDroid

You may try unlocking the phone first before taking drastic measures. Phone companies can be a pain to rid of if your not willing to reflash your phone with a new ROM

SlimDroid

how to unlock samsung galaxy s4 verizon