Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctgene
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I rooted my at&t s4, but what do I need to flash custom roms?

I have rooted successfully with towelroot, disabled knox, and have no clue what I need to do to prepare for flashing custom roms. My previous phone was an at&t one x and was very simple to root, unlock bootloader, install recovery, and flash. I'm not sure about this one. Can one of the s4 gurus please walk me through this? Thanks in advance.

My phone details are:
    Model: SAMSUNG-SGH-l337
    Android version: 4.4.2

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Default Re: I rooted my at&t s4, but what do I need to flash custom roms?

I am not going to go through the details but it is basically the same thing. YOu have it rooted, not flash a custom recovery, download a ROM and flash it through recovery.

Check XDA for all the details. It is as simple as the One X.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

You know what, one thing is possibly different, you might have to flash it through ODIN but you can find those instructions over at XDA as well. Generally you can find a package for odin that includes a recovery and the ROM and have it all done in 20 mintues.

DISCLAIMER: I never did it with a S4, and S3, S5 and the Note 3; yes. Not the S4 but it cannot be different from the Note since the Note is newer.

I just did this procedure on my verizon sch1545 using TR to root. My phone has the mk2 bootloader, was running 4.3 and I upgraded it to kk 4.4.2 vrufnc5. I loaded the new hyperdrive rls17.1 rom and it is fantastic, go to xda and read up on this.

You do not need odin to load this rom. You will need to D/L HD 17.1, supersu 1.94, nc5 modem zip and nc5 modules zip to your ext SD card. In addition you will need to install safestrap 3.72 to your phone in order to flash the above files. By the way the files should be flashed in the order I have them listed. I'm pretty sure you do not loose your root doing this, at least I do not remember using TR to root after flashing the rom. This rom is for your at&t device as well as verizon and I believe tmobile.

There is a wealth of information on xda about doing this, even some good you tube videos referenced.

So has the OP tried this yet? I have an AT&T S4 too and I want to revert back to 4.3 but have no clue on the exact steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Note 4, Samsung S4

Samsung S5, Samsung Note 3, Samsung Note 2, Samsung Note 1
    iPhone 6, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G

This is a fairly easy thing to accomplish. You just need to download some software to get it done. First D/L USB drivers for your PC if you haven't already done that. Next you need to D/L Odin, I use 3.09 and then find out which firmware your phone uses and D/L. For instance I have a Verizon phone and my build is 1545vrufnc5, yours of course will be different.

Once you have all of the software/firmware, start your phone by holding the down volume button, home button and power button all at the same time. This will put your phone in download mode, once that happens just press the up volume button to proceed. Once that is done plug in your usb cord that is attached to your pc to your phone. Start Odin on your pc and make sure it is connected, you should see a blue box upper left that will show it is connected to a com port. Find your firmware you D/L'ed, left click on the AP box in Odin and then hit the start button in Odin once the firmware has loaded.

You can find some excellent you tube videos showing this procedure if you are just the least bit hesitant about trying this. This process will take about 10 minutes or less and will show its progress on the bottom of your phone. Since your phone has a locked bootloader it is almost impossible to brick your phone doing this.
    Thanked by:
    Scifijerry likes this.