Plain, vanilla Android?

kturcotte

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if it's possible to put the most up to date version of plain, vanilla Android on my Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 (Sprint)? My phone is rooted, but I've never done anything like this, and am looking for a step by step guide (I don't want to brick the phone, as I cannot afford to replace it). I also have a lot of questions. What exactly would I lose/give up by doing this? I imagine I'd see an increase in performance? What about battery life? If I do this, is it basically like doing a factory reset on my phone? Am I going to have to reinstall apps and redo settings? If not, should I do a complete factory reset after everything is done?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is rooted then you would look to something like Cyanogen Mod or other well known ROM developers to get your hands on a most current " Vanilla Based - AOSP " version of software for your device.

From there you will need to follow the installation instructions as it can vary from ROM to ROM.

First and most important before moving onward I would make a full NANDROID backup in your custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) so you can use the " RESTORE " option in the event you mess up or don't like what has changed and return back to where you started before you do anything.

Good luck :)