Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Hydro Beta 2

Default Stupid Me (Sprint)

Alrighty then, I've been gone a good while, and now no longer know what I'm doing, which I know is dangerous.

I'd picked up an S4 for myself and my mother last Black Friday, and that same night, rooted both our phones. I also know that within a good week, an OTA update had been put out, but I'd blown it off, as I couldn't get it going and finishing up my bach and getting into grad school took over my life. That said, I recently got my father's line upgraded to an S4 (it was a dollar and he wanted it, so eh). It forced me to remember my own phone and it's horribly outdated self, and so I have returned.

As it stands now, I do not know what or how to go about getting this puppy up to speed, or even how to really explain where I'm at software wise, so I took a couple snapshots of the phone info, hoping I could get a hand with it.

Attachment 130638Attachment 130639

Any help you guys could give would be appreciated.

Also, not sure if this means anything, but the System update it says I have downloaded will not install.

Default Re: Stupid Me (Sprint)

As you are rooted you will not get ota updates. Either unroot using Odin (plenty of YouTube tutorials) or flash updated stock rom from Sammobile.com or even try a custom Rom like cyanogenmod m11, SlimKat, paranoid android etc (again YouTube). Just make sure you know the model number of your phone (intl I9505, us i9500 etc)
    In my opinion I would flash a custom Rom. I'm running cyanogenmod at the moment and it's flawless!! Stock roms are bloated with stuff you'll probably never use. Good luck and update here when done!!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Ranji 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Hydro Beta 2

Ok, I'm looking at my recovery screen (because if I recall I needed a custom to get anywhere, and it shows me Android system recovery <3e> at the top of the screen. I'm guessing this is NOT a custom recovery, so I ask, if I were to use ROM manager, could it install either CWM or TWRP for the recovery?

Also my model # is SPH-L720, as it's a Sprint phone.

I also noticed when I told it to reboot system from this screen, the droid icon flashed ERROR underneath it before restarting.

Yes rom manager will install a custom recovery for you. Cwm or twrp. Your choice. Personally I'm using a custom Cwm recovery called philz touch Cwm. Same features as Cwm but you guessed it it's touch based rather than using vol up/down

Thanked by:
    Ranji 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Hydro Beta 2

Actually, I got it mostly figured out now. Got CWM on, and flashed Cyanogen, just working on getting all my apps back in place.

Happy days!

how did you root yo sprint gs4...is there a way to do it without a computer?

Posted via the Android Central App