KISS - I want to get rid of bloatware, but rooting is a bit intimidating

GzronaRoadKing

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I was a non-techie but trechnically savvy guy in the 90's. wow, has the tech world passed me by! I have a SGS4, AT&T I337 running Ver. 4.4.2. I really only have one complaint, bloatware that prevents me from adding apps that intrigue me.

But when you check a forum and see the number of posts that are generated on the topic of rooting, which I know is the way to be able to remove bloatware and free up space, it gives me some pause.

So, is there a way less fraught with peril to remove bloatware? If there is not, what is the best way to approach rooting to minimize the chances of doing something that I will regret.

1) What method/app to root?
2) What app(s) must be installed, if any, after root to make the phone functional?
3) What apps must be installed to allow me to remove bloatware?
4) What contingency plans must I have to get back to current state?
5) What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks
Geezer

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
1) Depends on your model number and software version. Haven't kept up to date with root methods for the S4 since I did it way back on 4.2.2, but ATT was always one of the tougher ones to find methods for because of their patching.
2) None. SuperSU (which gives you root access) should be installed with your root method. The phone will work as if nothing ever happened, except you will not be able to accept OTAs.
3) Titanium Backup is good for freezing and deleting bloatware apps.
4) Installing a custom recovery and making a nandroid backup should always be the first thing you do when rooting. There are a lot of changes you can make that can possibly brick your device, and having a system image backup comes in handy (it has for me on a couple occasions)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Joe Vile

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I was like you before I got into rooting and flashing roms etc. All I would say is YouTube the hell out of your specific model number. There are literally hundreds of walk throughs on how to root / flash roms / Install custom recoveries etc.
And, if you do mess up, the tutorials tell you how to back up your current rom and settings.
It's an absolute breeze honestly!!
I wish I had rooted sooner. I got bored of Samsung's bloated touchwiz and went for the Google play edition rom and wow was I impressed. The actual os takes up far less space on the internal sd. Actions are so much quicker and the phone overall was much much faster! Now I'm running cyanogen mod 11 m9 and that's even better than the Google Rom. All the info you need is on YouTube and xda forums. Good Luck!
DON'T BE AFRAID TAKE THE PLUNGE!!

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The actual os takes up far less space on the internal sd.
Posted via Android Central App

If it were to completely overwrite TouchWiz it would be true, but you don't get any more space on the internal storage than before flashing the ROM. I still had only 9.7 GB free out of 16 like I did with TW

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I was a non-techie but trechnically savvy guy in the 90's. wow, has the tech world passed me by! I have a SGS4, AT&T I337 running Ver. 4.4.2. I really only have one complaint, bloatware that prevents me from adding apps that intrigue me.

But when you check a forum and see the number of posts that are generated on the topic of rooting, which I know is the way to be able to remove bloatware and free up space, it gives me some pause.

So, is there a way less fraught with peril to remove bloatware? If there is not, what is the best way to approach rooting to minimize the chances of doing something that I will regret.

1) What method/app to root?
2) What app(s) must be installed, if any, after root to make the phone functional?
3) What apps must be installed to allow me to remove bloatware?
4) What contingency plans must I have to get back to current state?
5) What have I forgotten to ask?

Thanks
Geezer
Hi, welcome. It's very easy to root your phone.

Visit TowelRoot.com and download the TowelRoot app. Open it, click on the "make it ra1n" button, and you will receive confirmation that your device is rooted.

Next, head over to the play store and DL SuperSU. Install and follow directions upon opening it.

There you go! If you're not sure about the fit status of your phone, DL an app called Root Checker.

Happy rooting!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay