Beginner's terminology questions

Timwithquestions

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have an S4 which was bought in the US under AT&T (SGH-I337 model). I no longer live in the US, so cannot access AT&T's updates on the phone, but I still use it as an (unlocked) phone. I want to upgrade it to run the latest compatible Android version (it's currently running 4.4.4) and also ideally to remove all traces of AT&T embedded features (e.g. the splash screen on startup).
The troubles is that I'm new two this and the forums here (and elsewhere) assume that the readers are familiar with the systems and processes. I'm not. I did root my phone (so that I could get the wifi hotspot to work), but before I go further I would like a better understanding of what I'm doing. When I look at the settings on my phone there are plenty of things listed: Android version, baseband version, kernel version, build number, SE for android status, etc. I'm a bit lost and have not been able to locate any beginner's guide to what all of these things are, how they depend upon each other and how to be sure that each is correct.
Can anyone help me through the terminology maze?
Thanks, Tim

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an S4 which was bought in the US under AT&T (SGH-I337 model). I no longer live in the US, so cannot access AT&T's updates on the phone, but I still use it as an (unlocked) phone. I want to upgrade it to run the latest compatible Android version (it's currently running 4.4.4) and also ideally to remove all traces of AT&T embedded features (e.g. the splash screen on startup).
The troubles is that I'm new two this and the forums here (and elsewhere) assume that the readers are familiar with the systems and processes. I'm not. I did root my phone (so that I could get the wifi hotspot to work), but before I go further I would like a better understanding of what I'm doing. When I look at the settings on my phone there are plenty of things listed: Android version, baseband version, kernel version, build number, SE for android status, etc. I'm a bit lost and have not been able to locate any beginner's guide to what all of these things are, how they depend upon each other and how to be sure that each is correct.
Can anyone help me through the terminology maze?
Thanks, Tim
I'll see if I can find a terminology reference for you to help you understand the various terms. In the meantime, have you tried updating the device via the Kies desktop client? you will need to use a Windows or Mac computer and visit Samsung's website to download and install it. You should be able to update using that.

Timwithquestions

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi srkmagnus,
Thanks for your help. I tried asking Samsung US support and they told me that the only way would be to visit a best-buy in the US. I suggested Kies to them, and they said it would not help. (I tried it anyway, and they were right).
Since I've already rooted it, I am happy to go ahead and make the upgrades, I just need a clear and simple guide without terminology. Firstly I need to know exactly what i need to upgrade (kernal, firmware, ROMs, Android etc...) and then a fairly clear explanation of where to find appropriate files and how to proceed.
I'll keep hunting. Thanks,
Tim

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech