Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Galaxy S4 Ocoto-Core or Dual Quad-Core?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Ocoto-Core or Dual Quad-Core?

meh, the real question is, with all these cores, what else will it do or be capable of doing
    TheSickAndTwisted

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    EOS 4 (forever)

That is 60 cores? Is it even a real word? Who knows... but funny.

It won't have 8 cores, the battery just wouldn't handle it, even a quad core a15 chip with a new quad core gpu and followed by a 1080p screen, the battery life would be so poor. I'm not sure what Samsung will do, maybe a dual core a15 chip and backed up by two a9 cores for normal usage and the a15 will be used for serious gaming/use

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Samsung Galaxy S IV: all the rumors and probable characteristics

Looks like quad-core with octo-core GPU.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

That's a lot of power I hope the battery is a on the level of the note 2/razzr maxx

I think they will make it have most of the functionality of the note. I mean with a 5" 1080p screen they could really give it s-pen support and all of that. Plus more power will allow the multi window and all that to run even more smoothly than it already does on the note 2.

but the a15 would be more efficient than current models plus less power hungry and samsung is usually pretty good with battery life of their phones. If anything they will stick a nice big battery in it if rumors are true of the 5" screen that gives them lots of room for a nice hefty battery.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by crackcookie View Post
    meh, the real question is, with all these cores, what else will it do or be capable of doing
    Read your mind.

At 20 cores it will become self-aware.
    Thanked by:
    chevyman29 likes this.

If I am correct a quad core a15 consumes about 30% less power than a quad core a9, but this is clocked at 1.7ghz. Now if the s4's a15 will be clocked at 2ghz the power would only be about 15-20% less than the a9. Don't forget it will have a 1080p screen which will most probably be sAMOLED and backed up with 3gb of ram. The gpu will be quad core and they will drain about the same power as the cpu.

Another thing to mention is that if the device is going to be thinner then they have to make a battery that is thinner Than the s3 and have more power. It will be very difficult for Samsung so I'm not sure what they will do.

Who says it needs to be thinner? Samsung isn't htc or apple that thinness is the only thing they care about. I think it will be around same thickness as s3 because there isn't really a reason to go thinner unless they are going with a non removable battery.

Let's face it, phones have reached their Shannon Limit (google Shannon theory)...

There's nothing left to do... Screens will get better, signal and battery life will improve, but as far as what we can do with our phones has reached its peak
    Thanked by 2:
    goliath602 and MERCDROID like this.

There is still plenty left to do you even mentioned it yourself, better screens, signal and battery life still leaves plenty room for improvement
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.

More cores so we can all post on Facebook, tweet and browse the Web... The same stuff we were doing g with our single core phones. For gamers this is great. For us normal folk nothing more than just something to say we have than something we need.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    ConTejas likes this.

He has got a point when he said they have reached their peak, the screens can't really get much better than 1080p, it wouldn't look any different to a 2000p or more display, they also can only make a battery so big that it can just fit In a 5 inch phone, processors will eventually be too powerful and consume too much power. I don't know what manufactures will do in say 2 years time.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by BoredandTattooed View Post
    Let's face it, phones have reached their Shannon Limit (google Shannon theory)...

There's nothing left to do... Screens will get better, signal and battery life will improve, but as far as what we can do with our phones has reached its peak
    You get props for finding a rarely (if ever) talked about theorem (not theory) in the tech blogs. But you clearly don't understand that it's a limit that nobody talks about as seriously effecting future data speeds. Namely because we've already been side stepping it for over half a decade. Current wireless technology uses MIMO, wider channel bandwidth and higher-order modulation types. There will always be problems and limitations in the future evolution of speed in computing and communications but that's par for the course and nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    He has got a point when he said they have reached their peak, the screens can't really get much better than 1080p, it wouldn't look any different to a 2000p or more display, they also can only make a battery so big that it can just fit In a 5 inch phone, processors will eventually be too powerful and consume too much power. I don't know what manufactures will do in say 2 years time.

You could have said the same thing 2 years ago I mean who would have thought they would have quad core processors and 1080p screens in phones? Or that a 5.5" phone would sell so well? I am sure the manufacturers still have plenty left to show.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post

Until screens look like seeing through a window, are flexible, can change size from a label to a sheet of paper, give tactile feedback and generate more power then they consume, we are far from nearing what you can do with screen technology. Not being able to conceive what manufactures will do in 2 years time is your limitation, not the tech industry.
    Premium1 and ConTejas like this.

Well Samsung has just designed the quadcore a15 chip called the 5440 or 5540 something like that

Source is sammobile

I think it is not going to continue to be a arms race in the chips. I mean even the dual core qualcomm s4 can handle pretty much everything thrown at them. I think we are going to see better screen and more efficient battery life out of this. I mean these are about the two areas that are lacking for android in most cases, especially battery life

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Until screens look like seeing through a window, are flexible, can change size from a label to a sheet of paper, give tactile feedback and generate more power then they consume, we are far from nearing what you can do with screen technology. Not being able to conceive what manufactures will do in 2 years time is your limitation, not the tech industry.
    Not so fast, he has a valid point. X years ago, phones/movies/video games didn't look like real life. Now, they do.

I can play a basketball video game, and until you come up close or notice I pause it, you may not be able to tell if it is real or not.

Phones are kinda the same way, certain areas aren't MAXED out, but what I would call perfect. As in, there is no real noticeable difference that you could implement to make any significant improvement in that area.

And everything has that limit.....maybe, cars, at their current status have maxed out around 40 mpg. Maybe, a car with roller resistance can not get better mileage, but a car that hoovers off of the ground can.

That is what he is saying, 1080 is the standard for HD....and it has been met. So the next big upgrade, won't be in the graphics department....but in the radio, call quality (hasn't changed in a while) then the flexibility of the phone, then the durability....certain specs are maxing out or not worth investing in.

Would you pay for a SGN3 or SGS4....with no real improvement?

Yard ago I did a report on carbon nanotubes and possible applications, one of them (this was in 06) was flexible screen technology. There were working prototypes then, and estimates of the technology being a decade out for consumers. This would open the floodgates in the area of form factor.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I think the limit is hit on the current style of touch screen smart phones. Making them faster or bigger isn't inventing something new, just improving. The next big thing will be when a new type of phone is created. Example is the introduction of smartphones. Now we're just making them more powerful. I can't wait for the day where we can combine the idea of large screens and small phones and have something that can expand. With flexible screens, we could create something that can collapse to put in our pocket, but then expand when we want to use. Just look at some of the cool translucent screens you see in future/sci-fi movies. That's the next big thing, and I bet we're less then 10 years away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    That's a lot of power I hope the battery is a on the level of the note 2/razzr maxx
    With all that power it would probably need an even more powerful battery than that to last a decent amount of time.

Latest rumor is that Nadya Suleman plans to sue Samsung if it uses the name Octocore.
    She holds the right to all trade names that start with "Octo" anything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast