Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you research Samsung's push into mobile software starting with Samsung Seeks Outside Talent - WSJ.com

Only an idiot would think that Samsung is satisfied with the status quo and will depend on Google forever for its mobile software. It's like saying Samsung has no interest in going beyond hardware, which is utterly ridiculous. Samsung's pouring billions into Tizen because Samsung's long-term future depends on its having its own platform and services, as Google increasingly competes with Samsung on hardware like the X-Phone, Nexus 7, Chromebook, Google Glass, etc. It would be irresponsible for Samsung just to stand still while Google wants to destroy the Galaxy S4 with its X-Phone.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you research Samsung's push into mobile software starting with Samsung Seeks Outside Talent - WSJ.com
why would ether one wont to stop doing business together any time soon ?? samsung sells millions and millions of android devices google has to love that . and people are eating up samsungs top of the line android devices sammy has to love that . so tell me why ether one will do anything to rock the boat any time soon ?? will samsung start putting out phones with tizen of course they will . will they do anything to screw up there highly successful galaxy line of android phones why hell no . if you really believe the x phone will even be anything close to the run away hit that the s3 was ive got 100.00 that says your wrong so now are a betting man ?? you seem so sure of everything so lets see .

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The answer is they can each make bigger profits. Sure, the status quo may look fine for both, but given Apple's example of becoming the most valuable company on earth by selling both hardware and software and given shareholder pressure to raise their respective stock prices, it's only natural for Samsung to enter software and Google to enter hardware. New opportunities come along all the time in the tech industry, so why not pursue them? 5 years ago, both Samsung and Google absolutely needed each other, but now the situation is very different and they've both evolved and the benefits of going it alone outweigh those of sticking together and each company wants to become the next half-trillion dollar company like Apple. If Google were just a software company, obviously it would have no need to make its own Nexus 7s and Chromebooks, but it chooses to do this and also make Google Glass and Google Cars and other hardware. Google's becoming a hardware company and is not just a software/services company anymore. It's following Apple's model and threatens both Apple and Samsung. Samsung's moving in the opposite direction from hardware to software because it sees the benefits of having an integrated hardware+software ecosystem, given the threats from Google and Apple. So it's an ecosystem war among Google, Samsung, and Apple.

On the X-Phone, Google will go for either premium pricing to start earning big profits from Android for once or price it at-cost (as with the Nexus 7) to undercut Samsung's Galaxy S4 and take its place in the market. Probably the latter as that would inflict the most damage on Samsung, which is the entire point of the X-Phone. Put Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie on it and price it at-cost to destroy the Galaxy S4 and its fledgling ecosystem of S-This, S-That. Make money on the back end through advertising and Google services/spyware on all the new X-Phones out there.

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what this guys play is, but all his post have been in this thread or bashing Samsung in a couple others.

Probably just trolling sense logical reason has been provided to him, but he refuses to stop repeating the same crap over and over. He probably just hates Samsung and wants them out of android for some reason. At first I just thought he was ignorant or stupid, but now I know that he is just tolling. So I am putting up the don't feed the trolls sign.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I know some people's entire careers and entire websites depend on Android and don't want to hear about Samsung's abandoning Android for its own OS, but that's exactly what's happening, so people should start learning about Tizen as soon as possible. Without Samsung, all of the oxygen is going to get sucked out of the room very quickly for Android, and it's not going to be pretty.

Even if Google gave Samsung Android updates earlier than any other OEM, Samsung wouldn't take them because that would just further develop Google's ecosystem at the expense of Samsung's own. Samsung's done drinking Google's Kool-Aid and will focus on developing its own Tizen mobile OS and related services from now on. A $200+ billion dollar company like Samsung is not an HTC or LG that has no choice but to serve as a dumb pipe for Google's apps and ecosystem. Rather, it wants to call the shots itself and have its own ecosystem. Samsung has simply outgrown Google (just as Google has also outgrown Samsung and can make its own very interesting line of hardware now).

Last edited:

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's pouring billions into Tizen because Samsung's long-term future depends on its having its own platform and services

Zippero,
Tizen is definitely an interesting platform and it will be interesting to see what happens with it but 80% of the claims you make on your posts are opinion. The facts you do post are either incorrect or the conclusions you draw from them are very thin and may have nothing to do with their smartphone business.

I don't see any evidence that Samsung has "poured billions into Tizen". They have put in $500,000 become a Platinum-level member of the Linux Foundation and that could still be partly for other reasons. The building you cited that will have 400,000 sq ft will be sitting next to a new 1.1 million sq ft building for their semiconductor division which I doubt is going to be just for Tizen products.

You have to remember Samsung makes more then just Smart Phones and Tablets. Like Google, Android is only a tiny part of Samsung. There is no doubt they are positioning themselves to be more independent and less reliant on Android. But being a big company and pouring lots of money into a new mobile OS doesn't guarantee anything, just look at what happened to HP and Palm!

Android on Tizen will probably work well (when they get the kinks out of it) for games. I doubt they will get it to work well with any of the other type of apps because of how ACL works, i.e. things like fonts look weird. Will Android apps have native access to your Tizen media so you can post pictures in FaceBook? I doubt things like that will happen anytime soon after it launches. Ultimately they need the developer community to make native apps for Tizen and no matter what they do this will never happen. They'd have a better chance of forking Android like Amazon.

Right now this is just a chess game between Samsung and Google and each is being careful. They both have to worry about ruining relationships not only with other companies but with the consumers. If Samsung tests out the Tizen waters and the reactions from customers are negative they may have to abandon or change that path. Samsung's long-term future depends on its having success and it may not be the kind of success quoted from you.

Last edited:

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Korea Times says today Samsung will introduce a "high-end" Tizen device on Feb. 25-28 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. See Can Samsung build its own ecosystem with Tizen? - Electronics giant aims to become software power with self-developed OS

This is much earlier than expected. The article says, "Samsung obviously wants to control both the hardware and software for its lineup as that will increase margins." This is what I've been saying all along. The article further says, "Samsung has put Tizen development as its priority shoulder-to-shoulder with other key mobile projects for the last few years." Tizen isn't just a side project but Samsung's main focus that will ensure Samsung's viability in the smartphone/ecosystem business 5-10 years down the road. Again, Samsung doesn't want to be a dumb pipe for Google's services/spyware forever but develop its own ecosystem. The article also says Tizen can run on practically any device, thus Samsung's been testing it on the Galaxy S2 and S3, which are Samsung's main high-end devices. Samsung wouldn't be doing this if Tizen were just some side project. After dominating hardware, the next natural frontier for Samsung is software/services/ecosystem. Bye-bye, Android!

Tizen can run Android apps and any commonly used media files as well. More importantly, Tizen will completely overtake Android because Samsung's putting all its manufacturing and marketing weight behind it. Samsung's manufacturing and marketing muscle is its secret sauce. Without Samsung, every other Android device maker is a profitless midget and, without Samsung, Android itself would have died long ago.

Apple Insider also notes today Samsung is "prepping a big push" behind Tizen for all the obvious reasons I've been telling you but which you still can't get through your collectively thick skulls. See Samsung's Tizen mobile OS could signal new competition for Apple's iOS, Google's Android

From the article: "Samsung realizes that much of its future profit growth in the handset sector will have to come from the unique value it builds into its own devices, and that value has to come from from software and services, and Tizen is a means of getting closer to that goal. With Tizen, the company will have a much bigger say in the direction of the platform than it currently does with Android, thanks in large part to its role in co-developing the operating system, as well as timely financial donations to associations guiding the platform."

More: "Tizen is close enough to Android that Samsung could very likely move its developer farm system to Tizen should it feel the need to do so. There is, in fact, already an application layer that allows Android-developed apps to run on Tizen."

The article concludes: "the next few months are likely to see Apple continuing to iterate its most-profitable OS, Google attempting to claw back relevance in the OS it created, and Samsung perhaps making a push in its own direction. It should make for an interesting year."

For Samsung, Tizen's time has come. App developers need to bet on the proven moneymaker, Samsung, and go with Tizen and not the Android OEM midgets (LG, HTC, etc.).

Last edited:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Good luck Lol but its not going to take precedence that fast Lol your crazy to think its going to be an instant competitor. I'll just hold off and laugh as the sales data will prove it all in time :rolleyes:.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

vic_singh

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A lot of smart things that was said from a dumb article.

* Apple not making any changes to the look and feel of their OS.
* BlackBerry new OS will have a difficult time to regain the market share.
* Windows 8 losing grip everyday.

Android will survive because its done competing with other OS, having more than 60% Global market share its success came and will continue to grow with manufacturers pushing the limits.

Going back to Apple and BlackBerry, these companies are only able to produce 1 maybe 2 device at a time because they want to stay in control of their consumer purchasing power.

For Samsung to jump ship after great success from their Galaxy line is suicidal because I personally believe the people are loyal to Android and not Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Larkspur and Magnolia (Tizen 1.0 and 2.0) were named starting with the letters L and M because Samsung intended long ago for them to succeed Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie in a clear line of succession in the Android world. The Tizen Galaxy S4 was codenamed GT-I9500 more than a year ago because it was meant to succeed the Galaxy S3/GT-I9300. Tizen on the Galaxy S4 has been Samsung's long-term goal from the very beginning and doesn't involve any loss or risk for Samsung since Tizen can run all Android apps. The Android app market is now big enough for Samsung to steal outright from underneath Google. The public won't care, and app developers will go wherever the money is as they always do. Google's X-Phone will fight the Tizen Galaxy S4 to the death. But Samsung will win because it has all the manufacturing and marketing know-how. It also now has software expertise from meticulously observing, studying, and copying every aspect of Android for the past 5 years from app development to promotion and business and ecosystem development. Steve Jobs must be smiling in Heaven because Samsung's now doing to Google what Google did to iOS. What goes around comes around. The Korean copycatters and Google jointly backstab and copy Apple first in hardware and software, and then the Korean copycatters backstab and copy Google second in software. Never partner up with a backstabber because you yourself will be the next one to be backstabbed (this was the fatal flaw in the whole Google-Samsung partnership or, shall I say, marriage of convenience). Just one American tech giant is not enough for the Korean copycatters to topple. Go out and buy an X-Phone, all you Android lovers, or better yet a 4.8-5.0-inch iPhone 6! Show some patriotism for once in your life!

Last edited:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You're really that delusional lmao you really honestly believe what you're saying. I thought you were just trolling at first but you actually believe this hahahahaha wow. Well like I said wait for the numbers guy because you don't have any evidence to back up your beliefs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Samsung will push Tizen with its $15 billion global marketing budget to achieve its ultimate goal of having its own ecosystem and increasing its margins to Apple-like levels. Unless Samsung moves into software, it inevitably faces falling margins on hardware like every other hardware manufacturer in history, especially in the face of an onslaught of cheap Chinese competitors like Huawei and ZTE whose big-screen Android phones are essentially no different from Samsung's current Android phones spec-wise even down to the particular Android version used. Samsung has already warned its current massive profitability from hardware is a fluke that no one should expect to continue going forward. What's a cheap Korean imitator of Apple to do in the face of even cheaper Chinese competition? Try to move up the value chain! To counter the inevitable margin compression on hardware, Samsung will promote Tizen as "Android Plus" because Tizen can run and co-opt all Android apps and do everything Android does PLUS offer cool, futuristic new HTML5 capabilities that simply blow Android away and that can't be imitated by its Chinese competitors. Look at Samsung Executive VP Choi's Tizen demo video on the Galaxy S2 that I posted on page 3 of this thread. Samsung's a very smart and patient company. It has chosen the Feb. 25-28 Mobile World Congress to introduce Tizen because Tizen is more than ready and there's literally everything to gain and nothing to lose. At the same or lower price point, the Galaxy Tizen S4 runs all Android apps and will do everything any high-end Android phone on the market can do PLUS a whole lot of cool, new stuff. Android may grow even more for a while because of Tizen, but eventually it'll all shift over to native Tizen apps. Samsung will have toppled Google. No wonder Eric Schmidt had to fly over to Korea a few months ago to try to get Samsung to drop Tizen. He even danced Gangnam Style in public and ate kimchi, but Samsung Chairman Lee Kun Hee and mobile chief Shin still said no (just as Schmidt once said no to Steve Jobs who asked him to stop copying iOS in Android). Since that trip, Schmidt's suddenly sold over half of his Google shares with more sales planned. Tizen is coming, yes, Tizen is coming. Google's future is not as secure as everyone assumes. It depends on mobile and Android and Google Now to connect it all and deliver it to the consumer automatically and intelligently in a ubiquitous fashion via Android mobile devices. But who would have guessed that all this time Samsung had an entirely different vision and, in just 10 days, is about to put at least one "high-end" Tizen device on the market that runs all Android apps seamlessly and flawlessly in addition to offering cool, new HTML5 features that blow Android out of the water? In the Google vs. Samsung battle, Samsung wins because of Tizen and its manufacturing and marketing scale. But in the Apple vs. Samsung battle, Samsung loses because, in the end, copycats are copycats and lack creativity and have no clue what an "ecosystem" really is or how to lead one. Thus, Samsung will succumb to the low-cost Chinese competition because its ecosystem will fail and its hardware will all be commoditized. Meanwhile, Google's Android fails without Samsung as its manufacturing champion and because every other Android hardware maker is already a profitless, pathetic Android version of Dell or HP (profitless even despite the fact they get the Android OS for free from Google) or destined to become one in the Android Chinese price war to the bottom. Only Apple with its well-established, higher-margin ecosystem of hardware + software + services will survive for the long term, similar to how IBM secured its long-term viability by focusing on software, services, and integration over hardware alone.

Last edited:

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you even seen Tizen? It is pretty much nothing right now. And also, Tizen doesn't belong to Samsung. It is open source and Samsung has contributed.

Let's please stop feeding the troll.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
To see Tizen, view the incredible demo video of Tizen made by Samsung Executive Vice President Jong-deok Choi I posted on Page 3 of this thread. Also, see the video on that page that I posted of Tizen running Android apps. Tizen does everything Android does PLUS a lot of cool, new, amazing stuff Android will never be capable of. Tizen basically steals and co-opts the entire existing Android app ecosystem from underneath Google and then runs away with it.

Samsung owns and controls Tizen completely. From the recent Feb. 13, 2013, Korea Times article that says Samsung will announce its high-end Tizen phone at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Feb. 25-28: "Tizen is an open source, Linux-based OS like Android. Though it is a collaboration between Samsung and American technology giant Intel, the former owns the rights to the software development kit, or tools to work on the OS, the most valuable certificate of ownership."

Today, it is also reported that Google will open up in time for the holiday season a chain of its own retail stores, very similar to Apple's stores, that will sell all things Google: X-Phones, X-Tablets, Google Glass, Nexus 7 tablets, Google Cars, Google Delivery Mini-Drones, and whatever other exotic game-changing Google hardware products being developed in its labs.

In other words, Google is hell-bent on "going Apple" like Samsung and selling BOTH hardware and software in order to achieve Apple-like margins for its greedy shareholders. What's most interesting is that Google won't even try to put advertising on Google Glass, which will have margins much higher than the iPhone's. Google sees how Android hardware device sales have let Samsung's stock rise 9-fold in the past 5 years, giving it a market cap almost as big as Google's own, while Google's market cap today is roughly the same as it was 5 years ago. Google is jealous of Samsung's profiting off of Android and deeply desires to start making huge Android hardware profits itself since Android is its own baby.

Google won't be selling any Samsung Galaxy phones or tablets in its retail stores but only its own Google X-Phones, X-Tablets, Google Glass, etc. Google has seen the light and is moving into hardware and needs stores to show and sell its amazing, cool hardware. Apple's and Samsung's market cap together from selling mobile Internet devices is about $750 billion, or 3 times as big as Google's, whose market cap is 95% derived from advertising only.

Samsung is not pleased about the X-Phone and Google's new retail stores pushing the X-Phone and Google Glass, so it's putting Tizen on the Galaxy S4. It would be irresponsible for Samsung to do otherwise and pretend that Google is not serious about moving into mobile Internet devices like smartphones, which are Samsung's bread and butter and surged to 75% of its revenues in its latest quarter.

Samsung already has some stand-alone stores but will also start mimicing Apple and create its own retail stores in America. They already have such stores all over the place in Korea, selling everything from Samsung refrigerators to Galaxy Note 2s, so it won't be too hard for them to do the same in America to undermine Google's new retail threat to its Galaxy line.

Still, despite the fact the X-Phone may be cooler and superior technically to the Galaxy S4, Google's retail efforts will all fail because it lacks Samsung's manufacturing and marketing scale and won't be able to produce enough X-Phones to overtake Samsung's Galaxy line. Google is just not a hardware company, and its leaders would all have to be replaced by supply-chain experts like Tim Cook to even entertain the idea. Google's whole culture is not hardware-friendly and its top geeks actually look down on hardware techies with the utmost contempt. So Google's whole move into hardware is just one big waste of time. On the other hand, Samsung's the global manufacturing juggernaut without whom even Apple has difficulties producing enough of its products to meet demand, so Samsung will ultimately beat Google's new stores. But Samsung itself will fail on building a Tizen ecosystem because developing and leading an ecosystem is just not in its manufacturing-oriented DNA.

In the Google-Samsung divorce, they BOTH want to divorce as soon as possible and "go Apple" in their own separate ways, because each believes its own independent future is brighter and more profitable than its previously married past. Regardless of what the other feels, Samsung will pursue Tizen and its own ecosystem and Google will sell the X-Phone, X-Tablet, Google Glass, and other non-Samsung hardware in its own retail stores and, because of this, they'll necessarily compete with each other and become the fiercest of enemies.

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To see Tizen, view the incredible demo video of Tizen made by Samsung Executive Vice President Jong-deok Choi I posted on Page 3 of this thread. Also, see the video on that page that I posted of Tizen running Android apps. Tizen does everything Android does PLUS a lot of cool, new, amazing stuff Android will never be capable of. Tizen basically steals and co-opts the entire existing Android app ecosystem from underneath Google and then runs away with it.

Samsung owns and controls Tizen completely. From the recent Feb. 13, 2013, Korea Times article that says Samsung will announce its high-end Tizen phone at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Feb. 25-28: "Tizen is an open source, Linux-based OS like Android. Though it is a collaboration between Samsung and American technology giant Intel, the former owns the rights to the software development kit, or tools to work on the OS, the most valuable certificate of ownership."

Today, it is also reported that Google will open up in time for the holiday season a chain of its own retail stores, very similar to Apple's stores, that will sell all things Google: X-Phones, X-Tablets, Google Glass, Nexus 7 tablets, Google Cars, Google Delivery Mini-Drones, and whatever other exotic game-changing Google hardware products being developed in its labs.

In other words, Google is hell-bent on "going Apple" like Samsung and selling BOTH hardware and software in order to achieve Apple-like margins for its greedy shareholders. What's most interesting is that Google won't even try to put advertising on Google Glass, which will have margins much higher than the iPhone's. Google sees how Android hardware device sales have let Samsung's stock rise 9-fold in the past 5 years, giving it a market cap almost as big as Google's own, while Google's market cap today is roughly the same as it was 5 years ago. Google is jealous of Samsung's profiting off of Android and deeply desires to start making huge Android hardware profits itself since Android is its own baby.

Google won't be selling any Samsung Galaxy phones or tablets in its retail stores but only its own Google X-Phones, X-Tablets, Google Glass, etc. Google has seen the light and is moving into hardware and needs stores to show and sell its amazing, cool hardware. Apple's and Samsung's market cap together from selling mobile Internet devices is about $750 billion, or 3 times as big as Google's, whose market cap is 95% derived from advertising only.

Samsung is not pleased about the X-Phone and Google's new retail stores pushing the X-Phone and Google Glass, so it's putting Tizen on the Galaxy S4. It would be irresponsible for Samsung to do otherwise and pretend that Google is not serious about moving into mobile Internet devices like smartphones, which are Samsung's bread and butter and surged to 75% of its revenues in its latest quarter.

Samsung already has some stand-alone stores but will also start mimicing Apple and create its own retail stores in America. They already have such stores all over the place in Korea, selling everything from Samsung refrigerators to Galaxy Note 2s, so it won't be too hard for them to do the same in America to undermine Google's new retail threat to its Galaxy line.

Still, despite the fact the X-Phone may be cooler and superior technically to the Galaxy S4, Google's retail efforts will all fail because it lacks Samsung's manufacturing and marketing scale and won't be able to produce enough X-Phones to overtake Samsung's Galaxy line. Google is just not a hardware company, and its leaders would all have to be replaced by supply-chain experts like Tim Cook to even entertain the idea. Google's whole culture is not hardware-friendly and its top geeks actually look down on hardware techies with the utmost contempt. So Google's whole move into hardware is just one big waste of time. On the other hand, Samsung's the global manufacturing juggernaut without whom even Apple has difficulties producing enough of its products to meet demand, so Samsung will ultimately beat Google's new stores. But Samsung itself will fail on building a Tizen ecosystem because developing and leading an ecosystem is just not in its manufacturing-oriented DNA.

In the Google-Samsung divorce, they BOTH want to divorce as soon as possible and "go Apple" in their own separate ways, because each believes its own independent future is brighter and more profitable than its previously married past. Regardless of what the other feels, Samsung will pursue Tizen and its own ecosystem and Google will sell the X-Phone, X-Tablet, Google Glass, and other non-Samsung hardware in its own retail stores and, because of this, they'll necessarily compete with each other and become the fiercest of enemies.

While I see Samsung using the new os I don't see it being on the s4.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

Blah blah blah. How do you have time to write all this? And why do you care so much?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is about to flood the market with 10-20 Tizen smartphones this year and more next year that all run all Android apps with its ACL plus offer very cool HTML5 apps that will blow your mind away. Samsung doesn't go halfway, it flooded the market with feature phones to kill Nokia and then Android phones to kill the iPhone and now Tizen phones to co-opt and replace Google's ecosystem in favor of its own. It's got massive chip, memory, and display capabilities that allow it to do human wave attacks and crush anybody. You will buy a Tizen phone over an Android phone as your next phone even if you don't want to because it'll be the next iteration of Samsung's world-famous Galaxy line whose marketing campaign will bombard you day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.