Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish it was that simple, the story is over on CNET, as well as a few other sites (on CNET the story is called "OMG! Google's Andy Rubin worries Samsung may become a threat.")

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
If you want to run Android apps, why would you use a non-Android phone running some compatibility software on top of it?

Because every Android phone manufacturer pays Microsoft like $13/handset for patent licensing.

Also because Samsung is the single biggest handset manufacturer now and based on their behavior to date, will not want Google to have any input on any aspect of their products.

Additionally, they are fully aware of just how much money Apple makes in its app store/iTunes, and is likely developing its own ecosystem.

Samsung is a juggernaut.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Well it's pretty obvious that Samsung has plans for Tizen, but what he is saying is baseless and a troll attempt. Samsung will eventually bring out Tizen devices, and if it's successful they may even eventually drop android, but that is not happening this year and it is not going to be on the s4.

Yes google primarily bought moto for their patents. Essentially moto was the little shack sitting on the oil well or patents. The little shack was not the main reason they bought the property ;-)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I disagree that the OP was trolling, but do agree that they will NOT be switching to Tizen on the S4.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
They are going to kiss and make up with Apple and run iOS. Well, that's almost as likely :)

Lol Mikelip

After seeing Tizen at MWC, Samsung would be committing suicide if it switched to Tizen. The software is slow and lags severely. I keep hearing that it's still early in development but it's been in development for over two years, so it has a long way to go before it could even begin to threaten Android. Ubuntu, however, looks sweet.

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There's OPEN WARFARE now between Samsung and Google, according to articles in the past week in the WSJ, Forbes, and every other major media you can think of. Hell, I didn't even know until the WSJ printed it that Android inventor and Google VP Andy Rubin was openly calling Samsung a threat since last fall and had called a meeting of Google's top brass to discuss Google's growing "Samsung threat." This is exactly what I've been saying all along! Samsung's $15 billion advertising budget is geared toward promoting the "Galaxy" brand and not the "Android" brand. The fatal flaw in the Samsung-Google partnership has always simply been that it's a PARTNERSHIP, and recall from your Business 101 class that most business partnerships usually fail. Samsung Galaxy phones all get TouchWiz which will also appear on Tizen Galaxy phones that run all the same Android apps, and most consumers won't know the difference (except they'll be buying Android apps from Samsung's app store rather than Google's). Additionally, Samsung's web services like Music Hub increasingly compete for screen space with Google's apps and services, and Samsung will of course favor its own apps and services. I know you're saying right now all of Google's search, apps and services are indispensable on any phone, but you'd be wrong. This is because Google already pays Apple a crazy 75% cut of its cash-cow Google Search revenues on iOS devices, according to Morgan Stanley. According to the WSJ, Samsung currently gets only a 10% cut of Google's search revenues on its Android devices, so even on Google's cash-cow search, Samsung's eventually going to ask for an Apple-like 75% cut, too. Then, you'll have this utterly bizarre situation: Google already gives Android to Samsung for free but then, on top of that, will start paying Samsung a 75% cut of all its Google Search revenues generated on Samsung's smartphones. Google's whole Android strategy rested on the erroneous belief that Google could make profit later on Android through mobile Google Search and other mobile Google services on Samsung's and others' Android devices, but this entire Google mobile strategy collapses the moment Samsung asks for its 75% cut of Google's mobile search revenues, too, as the WSJ reported it has already asked Google to do. Thus, Google's whole mobile strategy is a failure, and Google's stuck on the dying desktop where it was born, while Samsung and Apple milk the bulk of Google's search revenues on mobile devices. Because of this as well as Tizen and Samsung's marketing power, Samsung has Google firmly by the balls. No wonder Andy Rubin fears Samsung. Google's X-Phone could be superior to the best Samsung phone in every respect, but it just doesn't matter because Google lacks Samsung's manufacturing and marketing scale, which are unrivaled in the world. Google has no choice but to pay both Apple and Samsung a 75% cut of all Google Search revenues generated on their devices. It never had to pay PC makers like Dell and HP any such portions of its search revenues back in the PC age where Google initially found success and became a big company, but in the mobile world, Apple and Samsung have more leverage.

Last edited:

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There's a good chance that Google's X-Phone will undercut Samsung's Galaxy S4 on price. It'll have Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie but be cheaper than the Galaxy S4. It'll also have unique features like a Kevlar body and awesome battery life. This is all to get people to put off purchasing the Galaxy S4 in favor of the X-Phone that'll come out just 1-2 months later. Will it work? Probably not, but Google has no choice but to try.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There's a good chance that Google's X-Phone will undercut Samsung's Galaxy S4 on price. It'll have Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie but be cheaper than the Galaxy S4. It'll also have unique features like a Kevlar body and awesome battery life. This is all to get people to put off purchasing the Galaxy S4 in favor of the X-Phone that'll come out just 1-2 months later. Will it work? Probably not, but Google has no choice but to try.

We don't know anything about the xphone. All of that is speculation because of moto making it. Know one knows. Plus Google just made comments that elude that the xphone is nothing special and it was being developed before Google acquired moto.

Once again you are making wild claims based on pure speculation.

Sent from my SCH-I535

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Samsung wasn't happy with Google's pricing the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 devices at cost, which hurt not only Amazon (the target) but also Samsung. According to the WSJ, Andy Rubin is actively and openly rooting for HTC, Asus, etc. to start giving Samsung some real competition in the Android device world. Given Rubin is doing this, why not urge Motorola to do the same thing since Motorola is a part of Google itself? As I said earlier, the X-Phone is bound to fail, but there's no doubt The X-Phone will try to defeat the Galaxy S4 using all the tools available, including Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie pre-installed and a Nexus-like pricing policy to undercut the Galaxy S4.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung wasn't happy with Google's pricing the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 devices at cost, which hurt not only Amazon (the target) but also Samsung. According to the WSJ, Andy Rubin is actively and openly rooting for HTC, Asus, etc. to start giving Samsung some real competition in the Android device world. Given Rubin is doing this, why not urge Motorola to do the same thing since Motorola is a part of Google itself? As I said earlier, the X-Phone is bound to fail, but there's no doubt The X-Phone will try to defeat the Galaxy S4 using all the tools available, including Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie pre-installed and a Nexus-like pricing policy to undercut the Galaxy S4.
I wouldn't be so sure about the device's failure when there's almost nothing known about it.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, later Galaxy Models will run Tizen.
But I think its too much of a risk to run a under-developed OS on a extremely hyped phone.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope those leaked images of what "appeared" to be S4s.... Some of them shows 4.1.2 as the OS. Hopefully it is running Android OS.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
If it says that, its most likely Android Jelly Bean.
The S4 probably wouldn't run an new OS, with low-app support.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Rob F1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I do think Google needs to worry more about Tizen in the future ...

Samsung says they will not break completely from Android- but OF COURSE they are saying that - afterall, they still need Android for awhile until Tizen ( which is much like Andriod and is unix based ) bugs get worked out & it's use becomes more widespread in Asia. In Asian countries it seems Samsung aspires to become the 'new Android'.. with other companies using Tizen ( instead of Android ) and paying Samsung instead of Google. People wonder why Apple and MS have been so strict.. If Google gets screwed here and left behind in 5 years will Google be feeling the sting now ? It only took Android about 5 years to become big - And Android was also buggy, slow growing at first.. If anyone thinks Samsung can't pull off Tizen as being the Asian Android in 5 or 6 years - they are nuts !!

The first Galaxy came out 2 years after the iPhone and Samsung lovers scoff at the idea Samsung stole some 'ideas' from the iPhone.. now Samsung steals 'ideas' from Google as well on how to implement a nearly perfect smartphone OS... will you all scoff at Google if they try and sue later?

Funny how American's have less jobs and less money and they wonder why... They support foreign things and buy phones from Koreans who eat dogs, don't really care for Americans - but will gladly take your cash !

What most on these forums argue is Apple versus Android, but what this is really about is its about American capitalism getting crushed by Asian companies - and funny enough the Americans help themselves become a poorer place to live with each passing year. They don't understand the Asian companies they support take more money away from the country they live in because it obviously goes somewhere else. WE also live in an age where intellectual theft is happening more and more - especially from Asian countries which are hacking into American computers of corporations.

I think Google will end up in trouble in 5 or 6 years because of Tizen. They'll be on a list of American companies that ended up in trouble with shrinking profits. Google, much like Apple and MS got somewhere because they innovated and changed the world. Unfortunately those companies often end up not supported by the people that live in America after their intellectual property & ideas are stolen and taken elsewhere..

Rob F1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't see that happening, they've got too much invested in Android to leave them IMO.

I do think Google needs to worry more about Tizen in the future ...

Samsung says they will not break completely from Android - OF COURSE they are saying that ! - afterall, Samsung still needs Android for few years until Tizen ( which is much like Android and is unix based ) can grow and become viable. In the meantime they will use Android to sell phones !! DUH !! In Asian countries it seems Samsung aspires to become the 'new Android'.. with other companies using Tizen ( instead of Android ) and paying Samsung instead of Google. People wonder why Apple and MS have been so strict.. If Google gets screwed here and left behind in 5 years will Google be feeling the sting now ?

I mean - It only took Android about 5 years to become big - And Android was also buggy at first & slow growing at first.. If anyone thinks Samsung can't pull off Tizen as being the Asian Android in 5 or 6 years - they are nuts !! In the meantime they will publicly say they aren't leaving Android behind.. Yet Tizen phones will be coming out and the Galaxy in 2014 will likely have Tizen as an OS... ALTHOUGH they might sell more Android Phones for years to come.. they offer flavors of both until they can dump ANDROID...

Afterall this is really about Samsung not wanting to answer to Google.. and wanting all the profits - they will eventually leave Adnroid ..

The first Galaxy came out 2 years after the iPhone and Samsung lovers scoff at the idea Samsung stole some 'ideas' from the iPhone.. now Samsung steals 'ideas' from Google as well on how to implement a nearly perfect smartphone OS... will you all scoff at Google if they try and sue later?

Funny how American's have less jobs and less money and they wonder why... They support foreign things and buy phones from Koreans who eat dogs, don't really care for Americans - but will gladly take your cash !

What most on these forums argue is Apple versus Android, but what this is really about is its about American capitalism getting crushed by Asian companies - and funny enough the Americans help themselves become a poorer place to live with each passing year. They don't understand the Asian companies they support take more money away from the country they live in because it obviously goes somewhere else. WE also live in an age where intellectual theft is happening more and more - especially from Asian countries which are hacking into American computers of corporations.

I think Google will end up in trouble in 5 or 6 years because of Tizen. They'll be on a list of American companies that ended up in trouble with shrinking profits. Google, much like Apple and MS got somewhere because they innovated and changed the world. Unfortunately those companies often end up not supported by the people that live in America after their intellectual property & ideas are stolen and taken elsewhere..

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy S4's new software/services features like Samsung Hub, S Voice Drive, S Translate, etc. that compete directly with Google apps for screen space and The S4's complete de-emphasis of Android are a precursor to Samsung's ultra-high end Tizen device coming out in August with the S4's TouchWiz and better specs than the S4, which was also announced yesterday by Samsung just 2 hours after the S4's launch. "It almost feels like Samsung is trying to set up Tizen as its next OS instead of Android," said Strategy Analytics analyst, Kevin Burden (Apple reels as Samsung launches Galaxy S4? | Computerworld Blogs).

Samsung doesn't really want the Galaxy S4 to succeed this year. Episode 2 of Samsung's events this year is Tizen phone, which is Samsung's long-term future. A few months of poor S4 sales is worth it to ensure Samsung's bright Tizen future for the next decade.

X-Phone was leaked by Google a few days before the S4's launch, trying to steal its thunder. It'll come pre-installed with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie to be announced in May. Samsung know its S4 has a 1 year old Jellybean OS and can't compete, but at this stage it can't be helped. It doesn't expect big S4 sales. It's just preparing Tizen phone with Super AMOLED Full HD Plus flexible screen for August. Samsung doesn't care about Android anymore. Google doesn't either as it's trying to have its proprietary Chrome OS supplant it on mobile devices. Open source Android has been a money hole that has enriched Samsung but not itself. Andy Rubin's been replaced by Chrome OS head Sundar Pichai as the head of Android.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel