Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,238 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Apparently Samsung is moving away from Android and the S4 may be the first phone to say goodbye to Android.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone to Run Tizen OS?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

I don't see that happening, they've got too much invested in Android to leave them IMO.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,238 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I doubt they will do something that drastic this year, but they are moving away from Android since Google acquired Motorola.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I doubt they will do something that drastic this year, but they are moving away from Android since Google acquired Motorola.
    I don't think they are moving away from Android. What they are doing is hedging their bets. If at some point down the line Google does the unthinkable and starts to give preferential treatment to Moto, so much so that they are greatly disadvantaging all other OEMs then Samsung does not want to be without options. Frankly it would irresponsible of Samsung not to be preparing for this contingency, they have too much riding on their mobile division.

With that said, if Google continues to play fair, I believe Samsung will continue to use Android into the foreseeable future.

Oh and on a side note, that article is trash. There premise is completely based on opinion. "Samsung is expected to shift to its new Tizen OS and move away from its dependency on Android this year" Where did they get this from? They made a leap from Samsung working to incorporate Tizen OS into their lineup to Samsung moving away from Android. And then the video they link (which was a fan concept Render) even states the GS4 using "Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie". Anyways, in the future don't go to The Christian Post for your tech news.

If the S4 didnt run Android Samsung will lose a good chunk of its business. I mean, in places like Korea and stuff it'll probably sell just as well, but in the US and EU? Doubt it. Believe it or not many people buy Android Phones because they are Android. Samsung wouldnt do it this early. In fact, i dont see this happening until Tizen has a comparable app market. I'd make a guess and say the LAST phones Samsung will switch to Tizen will be its Galaxy Line.
    Thanked by 4:
    Kage87Z, bigrey81, Lanhoj and 4 others like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    2,238 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mazzmoney95 View Post
    Believe it or not many people buy Android Phones because they are Android. Samsung wouldnt do it this early. In fact, i dont see this happening until Tizen has a comparable app market.
    Tizen can run Android apps with OpenMobile's ACL.
    Zee

Global Posts
    642 Global Posts

Tizen can run Android apps with OpenMobile's ACL.
    If you want to run Android apps, why would you use a non-Android phone running some compatibility software on top of it?
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
    Thanked by 4:
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

this will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here

Surely the longer they delay tizen the more chance it will flop when it does appear.. Google is big and will continue to grow

ROM
    cm10

Would it even be a galaxy with out running android? I really don't think it would happen.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

when i read about the tizen OS, this was the first thing i thought of too: the S4 will not use android anymore

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

my money is still on android.
    phillyundead and jrb363 like this.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Tizen will still need a couple of months to be completed, i think the release of the GS4 is too close to launch Tizen with it. maybe on the GS5?

Tizen is down the road, IMHO. 4.2 Key Lime Pie OS is most likely in the US GS4.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Default Odp: Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Quote Originally Posted by sir.mervyn.king View Post
    Surely the longer they delay tizen the more chance it will flop when it does appear.. Google is big and will continue to grow
    But sumsung is big and not much people will care they run android if it will be able to run android apps.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Default Re: Odp: Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

I bet they will sell one that is android and one that runs tizen
    ikeywatson likes this.

I wouldn't mind a dual-boot/partitioned phone!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my S3
    MERCDROID and Erik ejf like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    2,238 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    If you want to run Android apps, why would you use a non-Android phone running some compatibility software on top of it?
    The point is, if Tizen runs Android apps who's gonna know the difference?!? The people on Android forums might but that is tiny percent. The majority of Galaxy customers go into the store, tell the sales guy they want that "New Galaxy S4". The store switches them over and they give no more thought about it.

At most the typical customer might ask, "Is this an Android phone?" and the response will be, "Yeah, it runs Android apps." and that will be it.
    Zee

Global Posts
    642 Global Posts

The point is, if Tizen runs Android apps who's gonna know the difference?!? The people on Android forums might but that is tiny percent. The majority of Galaxy customers go into the store, tell the sales guy they want that "New Galaxy S4". The store switches them over and they give no more thought about it.

At most the typical customer might ask, "Is this an Android phone?" and the response will be, "Yeah, it runs Android apps." and that will be it.
    I don't know anything about Tizen, but I'd be surprised if it ran Android apps as well as an Android phone. Anytime you're running apps in some sort of virtual machine there's bound to be issues with apps not working or not working correctly.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
    Thanked by 3:
    Darth Spock and 2 Phonez like this.

And where will they get their apps from? Highly doubtful that Google would allow the Play store on a Tizen phone.

Bottom line: Samsung isn't going to have the S4 running Tizen. It's ridiculous to think that they would.
    2 Phonez likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    2,238 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    And where will they get their apps from? Highly doubtful that Google would allow the Play store on a Tizen phone.
    They have their own app store called OpenMobile AppMall

They have their own app store called OpenMobile AppMall
    Right. I know. What I'm saying, and which you seem to not understand, is that people will see the absence of Google Play, as well as the rest of the Google Apps, which means people won't be so easily tricked into thinking a Tizen phone is an Android phone.
    Thanked by:
    2 Phonez likes this.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Then tell them it is not an android phone. Why try to fake them out when you can tell them the truth.

Tell them it is a new os from samsung that can run android apps. No surprises or lies.

As for an app store, most people don't care as long as they can download a game or radio app from somewhere. As someone said earlier, it is o ly yhe hardcore android fans that will be crying foul about the lack of play and google apps. I have had android devices for years now and have only really used maps and gmail on a regular basis, so the argument about the apps is moot for myself as well as probably many others.

If you were to take the itunes store and switch it to something else, would a large majority of iphone users notice as long as they could still download apps from somewhere. I see this as possible on tizen as well.

As long as a lot of hardcore android fanboys don't try to bad press it into the ground with all of their "it doesn't do this or that or as fast as android does" comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    ryandye likes this.

So you don't think people would be bothered if Samsung announced the S4 would not have Gmail or Google Maps? OK...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Default Odp: Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Right. I know. What I'm saying, and which you seem to not understand, is that people will see the absence of Google Play, as well as the rest of the Google Apps, which means people won't be so easily tricked into thinking a Tizen phone is an Android phone.
    Kindle dont have that problem thru its lacking google play
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast