Lost all hope in Exynos Octa!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So the exynos Octa is apparently meant to use a PowerVr 544MP3 chip, i am afraid samsung but this just doesn't live up to expectations.

A6X is the chip used in the iPad 4, this chip uses a PowerVr 554MP4 GPU and is the most powerful GPU in the market. Now samsung wants to use this 544 which is an older gpu and is less powerful than the Tegra 4 and the A6X which is one reason why I am not so convinced on the chip.

Furthermore there have been leaks in antutu that show the i9500 (S4) benchmarked. However im not pleased. This device gets between 19K and 21K score, the reason it doesnt please me is that my S3 I overclocked to 1.8ghz and I hit 19.3K which is on level terms with the supposedly beast '8 core' chip.

Heres the Galaxy S4
uploadfromtaptalk1358631196803.jpg

And here is my S3 @ 1.8ghz
uploadfromtaptalk1358631292024.jpg

The Exynos 5 octa is 4 A15 cores (more than 2x faster than A9) and 4 A7 low power cores. This is built on a 28nm process and therefore improves performance and battery life. @ 1.8ghz

My S3 has a quad A9 at 1.4ghz and built on 32nm process so its less powerful than the Octa. What I find concerning is that the octa scores 19K when it has the latest ARM processor and is many times more powerful than the A9, but my S3 with a A9 processor overclocked to the same clockspeed scores similar results. Samsung really needs to sort this out.

To conclude, I think samsung needs to up their game and get there chips sorted out, theyre going to use an older GPU and therefore not competing with their rivals Apple. In terms of CPU performance this also needs to be improved so they're are really are competitive in the market.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Losing all 'hope' over a faked benchmark? There are much more important things to do in life. Everyone knows that i9500 is 'supposed' to be a Tizen device. Anyone can fake a Antutu result. It's not a rocket science.
How do you know that it's less/more/same/bigger/lower than T4 or A6X or anything else? Have you compared them personally? Leaked benchmark shows that T4 is even less powerful GPU compared to 5250. I don't give much importance to these now. Wait for them to come out and then verify. Remember GPU is *NOT* the only part of a SoC. There are lot of components, and like any system it will work at the speed of it's slowest component.
AT says that it's Exynos 5 has 544 at 533MHz. This is like double the GPU horse power compared to iPhone5. It would mean more than 3x compared to Mali400 in SGS3. I say if it's true, then it's a very decent number.

Don't lose your sleep over such silly issues. Enjoy your life!

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Faked benchmark? What says its fake? And yes I have definitely lost hope in it because if the gpu not as powerful as the T4 or A6X then whats the point in using this gpu in a device if it isnt competing in the market? Yes its clocked twice as fast as the iphone 5 but don't forget this gpu will be in a device that the gpu has to power a 1080p screen and not less than 720p thats in the iphone 5.

Okay its 3x faster than mali 400 but the A6X is about 5x quicker. Also who is ssmsungs main competitor? Apple! So they would obviously want to be ahead in the market with their new device. But under the hood will be a gpu ran by phones from last year or the year before.

Okay benchmarks dont mean anything but antutu is reliable not like quadrant and the proof is in the pudding, it shows it isnt amazing so what says it will be?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Let's not even mention that you seem to have the only benchmark for the s4. I am sure that some other sites would have reported this by now

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Umm also benchmarks dont officially support processor yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

^^^This.... This is a thread looking for an argument for arguments sake. Like comparing who is faster The flash or Superman.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Faked benchmark? What says its fake? And yes I have definitely lost hope in it because if the gpu not as powerful as the T4 or A6X then whats the point in using this gpu in a device if it isnt competing in the market? Yes its clocked twice as fast as the iphone 5 but don't forget this gpu will be in a device that the gpu has to power a 1080p screen and not less than 720p thats in the iphone 5.

Okay its 3x faster than mali 400 but the A6X is about 5x quicker. Also who is ssmsungs main competitor? Apple! So they would obviously want to be ahead in the market with their new device. But under the hood will be a gpu ran by phones from last year or the year before.

Okay benchmarks dont mean anything but antutu is reliable not like quadrant and the proof is in the pudding, it shows it isnt amazing so what says it will be?

What says it's *NOT* fake? One can easily do a build.prop device spoof. One can do that in a Note2 and get a similar result.

The i9500 was used in a Tizen device sometime back. It's an easy conclusion if you just google this model number.

Samsung-GT-I9500-Fraser-Tizen-Smartphone-556x1024.jpg

It's a 'certified' fake.

Since when did A6X become 5x more powerful than Mali400? A6X gets around 52 fps in Egypt offscreen. Mali400 in Note 2 gets around 19, around 16 in SGS3. iPhone5 scores around 29. Nobody cares about synthetic numbers.

I don't know why people only consider the GPU? Do they forget that it's only a part of the package?

You want to check proper CPU benchmarks for Exynos 5, check this: [Phoronix] ARM Cortex-A15 Exynos5 Compiler Benchmarks

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
But its been heavily proven that it will use power vr 544 and this gpu sucks compared to 554 and T4

Really??

Where have you seen a benchmark for PowerVR 544 @ 533MHz?

Have you seen Tegra4 benchmark? The leaked benchmark doesn't look too good to me. It's worse than even T604 in N10. I personally don't give much importance to that. But where have you seen a T4 vs 544 vs 554 benchmark comparison based on CPU, GPU and memory interface?

gsmarena_002.jpg

GLBenchmark - High performance mobile benchmark for OpenGL ES environment

T4 still is a non-unified shader architecture.

I would rather ask since when did the GPU become the only important part of SoC?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is a screenshot to show that it isnt as powerful as the A6X
Point proven.
uploadfromtaptalk1358770011669.jpg

And yes it is extremely important as look how fast gaming on mobiles is advancing, also it needs to power the UI as well as widgets ect. And if im right in saying this isnt even an open gl3.0 gpu, and I garuntee there will be games releasing soon with GL 3.0

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is a screenshot to show that it isnt as powerful as the A6X
Point proven.
View attachment 57322

And yes it is extremely important as look how fast gaming on mobiles is advancing, also it needs to power the UI as well as widgets ect. And if im right in saying this isnt even an open gl3.0 gpu, and I garuntee there will be games releasing soon with GL 3.0

This is a typical problem when someone looks at just synthetic GFLOPs numbers. Do you know the GFLOPs calculation for T604? It's 72GFLOPs.

So, now you will tell me that T604 is more powerful than 554??

I can also show you calculation that Texel or number of Triangle would be higher in 544. But at end of day what matters is how much fps you are getting in the game.

Even T4 won't have proper support for openGL 3.0.

By all account, the 544 @ 533Mhz will be as powerful as 554 in A6X, if not more. Don't lose your sleep such trivial issues.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a thread looking for an argument for arguments sake. Like comparing who is faster The flash or Superman.

Duh, the flash. They are close but Superman's cape creates drag.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Why are they not using mali gpu like always.. Someone explain??

We can only speculate.

Exynos 3110 (Hummingbird SoC used Galaxy S) used PowerVR 540.

Then 2 subsequent models used Mali400.

Probably few factors like power efficiency, DirectX10 compliance and T678 is not yet ready for prime time. PowerVR 544 @ 533MHz will be much faster compared to T604 in N10. T624 is reported not *significantly* faster compared to T604. Also PowerVR support cache coherency like Mali. So, this is a good point if they wanted to use ARM architecture with PowerVR GPU.

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We can only speculate.

Exynos 3110 (Hummingbird SoC used Galaxy S) used PowerVR 540.

Then 2 subsequent models used Mali400.

Probably few factors like power efficiency, DirectX10 compliance and T678 is not yet ready for prime time. PowerVR 544 @ 533MHz will be much faster compared to T604 in N10. T624 is reported not *significantly* faster compared to T604. Also PowerVR support cache coherency like Mali. So, this is a good point if they wanted to use ARM architecture with PowerVR GPU.

Was reading the posts above and someone said benchmarks dont mean anything.. Why does everyone discuss benchmarks if they not that important..??

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Out of all this I still dont see a point in using power vr, the GPU in nexus 10 is pretty good even powering a screen that has a massive screen resolution, I think if they just use that gpu with 1080p screen it will do pretty well.

Woodsy

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
^^^This.... This is a thread looking for an argument for arguments sake. Like comparing who is faster The flash or Superman.

Are you stupid? Flash is so much faster...duh.

Sent from the greatest phone in the world, The Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon.