Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Default Re: Would you like stock android on the S4?

Quote Originally Posted by craZDude View Post
    This is the exact attitude that confuses me so much. What is so bad about extra features?
    The fact that you have to root and install a custom ROM if you don't want them. It's more annoying than PC bloat ware, which is at least easy enough to uninstall. When you buy a phone you should buy just the hardware, the teleco should be just a dumb pipe with no contract, and any software should be gotten from the play store or side loaded
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,311 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GopherDroid View Post
    The fact that you have to root and install a custom ROM if you don't want them. It's more annoying than PC bloat ware, which is at least easy enough to uninstall. When you buy a phone you should buy just the hardware, the teleco should be just a dumb pipe with no contract, and any software should be gotten from the play store or side loaded
    If you remove carrier bloatware from the Galaxy S3, you'd still have a Samsung TouchWiz Android device.

S-voice isn't bloatware.
    Neither is multi view.

You don't want em? Don't buy a TouchWiz phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Yup.

example: a Galaxy S IV running stock Android wouldn't have S-Voice and multiview.

If you really don't care for those features, you really shouldn't buy that device.
    Comparing the field of current flagships, there would be other reasons one might want Samsung hardware, but still prefer the stock software. Camera being a big one.

If the argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone, then you could also argue that having at least an easy option to install a stock ROM from the manufacturer, or buy one direct from them that had only the stock OS would be good. Then you cover both sides, with little work, as Stock would obviously work already, and the person still bought a Samsung phone.

No, I want the S4 with more features. Stock Android is for the nexus phones.
    Thanked by 3:
    Ry, lilotimz, neiljay6 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    Comparing the field of current flagships, there would be other reasons one might want Samsung hardware, but still prefer the stock software. Camera being a big one.

If the argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone, then you could also argue that having at least an easy option to install a stock ROM from the manufacturer, or buy one direct from them that had only the stock OS would be good. Then you cover both sides, with little work, as Stock would obviously work already, and the person still bought a Samsung phone.
    I certainly don't disagree that boot loaders should come unlocked and root access should be easily obtained, which would all folks more freedom to control their own Android device. I don't see Samsung necessarily providing the software, but if there were to say provide the necessary components (i.e. drivers) to allow you flash stock Android, that would be pretty sweet. Do I see it happening? No. I also agree that carrier or OEM "bloatware" should be easily uninstall-able.

The counterpoint to this is, however, is that people expect to buy phones are greatly reduced subsidized prices and get full support from their carrier, which is why they are inclined to lock the devices down. Technically, if you buy a phone at a discounted 2-year contract price, you're essentially renting-to-own.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,311 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post

The argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone and Samsung also wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. They probably want you to have a Samsung tablet too.

If the user experience is identical to everyone else, your next is less likely to be a Samsung phone.

Again, stock Android isn't a sales driver.

And the existence of TouchWiz (and Sense, and MotoBlur) are very much in the spirit of Android.
    Last edited by Ry; 02-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Have you guys not realized all the pointless threads this guy continues to make.... Its over and over with this same guy. GTFO the forums with this crap.
    United States Air Force

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

I would love a de facto S4 Nexus, regardless of how it's branded.

I wouldn't consider a device with Touchwhiz, Blur, etc on it unless there's a way to easily rip it out.
    jamontoast1291 likes this.

Stock Android is better on anything imo. I just don't like skins at all I'm finding.

They add alot more features, but I'd rather just customize android myself with stuff from the play Store.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    jamontoast1291 likes this.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I certainly don't disagree that boot loaders should come unlocked and root access should be easily obtained, which would all folks more freedom to control their own Android device. I don't see Samsung necessarily providing the software, but if there were to say provide the necessary components (i.e. drivers) to allow you flash stock Android, that would be pretty sweet. Do I see it happening? No. I also agree that carrier or OEM "bloatware" should be easily uninstall-able.

The counterpoint to this is, however, is that people expect to buy phones are greatly reduced subsidized prices and get full support from their carrier, which is why they are inclined to lock the devices down. Technically, if you buy a phone at a discounted 2-year contract price, you're essentially renting-to-own.
    I don't mind the subsidized pricing on phones as it means that I don't have to pay $700 up front for a top of the line device. Why would I buy a phone if I weren't going to pay a monthly fee for service as well. It is a wash.

As for Nexus devices, Google sells them at a loss, we all know they do. I don't think the addition of touchwiz on a galaxy s3 is going to make the phone cost the $700 retail price.

Besides, Nexus devices in my opinion are just beta devices for Google. Here is the next version of the OS, test it for us and send in complaints so we can roll out bug fixes. Don't forget that for every Nexus and other Android device sold, Google makes money from search and ads.

To get back to the topic at hand, no, I would not like to see the S4 with vanilla Android. Touchwiz has become a staple for Samsung and has turned their devices into game changers. Other OEM's as mentioned previously have done the same. Samsung has just apparently done it better and can be seen in their market share for galaxy devices.

The real question would be if it will have Touchwiz, or their own OS that has been rumored to appear on a device this year, possibly replacing Android altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I will say touchwiz has evolved nicely. When I play with a galaxy s or note it still feels like android, yet compliments it. Sharp contrast to sense that if not for play Store access would feel like another operating system.

I don't really expect any manufacturer to drop their skins anytime soon but I would like a few more pure Google phones to go around.

I just hope Samsung drops the damn menu button in favor of a recent tasks button. The menu button is becoming more and more useless as developers update their apps to the holo ui standards, doesn't make sense that phones like the gs3 and Optimus g still have it

Last edited by cormaster628; 01-29-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry, Darth Spock and TomsAndroid like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,311 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    I just hope Samsung drops the damn menu button in favor of a recent tasks button. The menu button is becoming more and more useless as developers update their apps to the holo ui standards, doesn't make sense that phones like the gs3 and Optimus g still have it

Doubt that will happen this year, based on the 8" Note leak.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan398 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of touchwiz so........I think stock Android would be nice option on the S4
    Honestly, i couldnt care less. Im running nova launcher on my s3 its zippy, fast. Its exactly stock android and i get to keep all goodies of tw. Android is CUSTOMIZABLE PEOPLE!. That the beauty of android
    Thanked by:

I would like to see stock android with some elements of touchwiz, ie the various widgets...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm not sure if other OEMs ever did this, but LG used to release phones that had stock Froyo and then Gingerbread AND their custom launcher both available. You could toggle between launchers in settings, very similarly to how you do so now once you have set a preferred launcher. At the time I didn't think much of it, but I do recall that which widgets you could use was affected, however back then there weren't any LG specific features that I remember. While I'd love to see other OEM's approach that concept again, I think it'd be really hard for SAMSUNG, etc to be motivated to modify their custom features with a stock look just to fit the minority of the crowd like me that just wants to nerd over stuff like that.

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Watson View Post
    Honestly, i couldnt care less. Im running nova launcher on my s3 its zippy, fast. Its exactly stock android and i get to keep all goodies of tw. Android is CUSTOMIZABLE PEOPLE!. That the beauty of android
    So multi-window, etc still work? I've never tried that, just assumed it wouldn't work out.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

No for me. I prefer what Samsung has going on vs stock and can't wait to see what the next version will have. Plus I'm one to think if all phones had stock things would get really boring really quickly. I like being able to get different kind of android phones that feel completely different to use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Default Odp: Would you like stock android on the S4?

This is the exact attitude that confuses me so much. What is so bad about extra features? I wish I could get a non-nexus phone at a nexus price because they come with better features. Most of them are even hackable anyway if people are into that, so what would it matter that it wasn't a nexus? I suppose there are software updates, but it's not as if people not using the latest software have a miserable experience.
    If you had s2 updated to 4.0 and try to resize widget you would know whats the problem

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    I'd like to see the stock look with all of Touchwiz's enhancements and additions. Call it out HoloWiz or whatever.
    Same. Right now touchwiz looks too cartoonish.
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    So multi-window, etc still work? I've never tried that, just assumed it wouldn't work out.
    I like how touchwiz has come along but i really dont care whether it is stock or skinned at the end of the day im going to root and do as i please

Here is multi window working over Next Launcher.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Darth Spock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybyatt View Post
    I would like to see stock android with some elements of touchwiz, ie the various widgets...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly_Poison630 View Post
    Same. Right now touchwiz looks too cartoonish.
    I'm not sure I agree that it look "cartoonish", but you can basically achieve exactly that (stock Android look, TW features) using Nova Launcher.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that it look "cartoonish", but you can basically achieve exactly that (stock Android look, TW features) using Nova Launcher.
    Which I have done, except using Apex
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

ROM
    Gelato 11-28

I personally hate the LOOK of the touchwiz. Thats the one reason i rooted it. I wish they would keep th UI the same as stock but add those lovely features into it. I understand they want their devices looking and running almost identical, but holo is just to clean and nice to over lay onto

This is the exact attitude that confuses me so much. What is so bad about extra features? I wish I could get a non-nexus phone at a nexus price because they come with better features. Most of them are even hackable anyway if people are into that, so what would it matter that it wasn't a nexus? I suppose there are software updates, but it's not as if people not using the latest software have a miserable experience.
    I can understand other's view points in some cases. the added UI hogs an excessive amount of resources that sometime cripple an otherwise great phone. This was the case with the One X and the reloading/refreshing of background apps because of the resources needed to run sense, but lately Samsung has been on a roll with the added features brought by touchwiz so im more inclined to try out the next iteration.
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G....

.....yeah the LTE version

Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    I'd like to see the stock look with all of Touchwiz's enhancements and additions. Call it out HoloWiz or whatever.
    I love this idea HoloWiz, because I can't give up that blutooth connection with my car stereo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by torch29; 03-06-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast