Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Default Re: Would you like stock android on the S4?

I lov samsung cause of its uniqueness no touch wiz no unique no intresting

I like the features that Touchwiz offers, just not the homescreen layout. But then, I'm not too partial to the stock layout of a Nexus device either.

As such, I just install Apex and modify the interface to my liking. Now that phones ship with 2GB of memory and plenty of horsepower, having the touchwiz homescreen interface running in the background doesn't bother me at all.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The argument is that Samsung wants you to buy and Samsung phone and Samsung also wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. They probably want you to have a Samsung tablet to.

If the user experience is identical to everyone else, your next is less likely to be a Samsung phone.

Again, stock Android isn't a sales driver.

And the existence of TouchWiz (and Sense, and MotoBlur) are very much in the spirit of Android.
    I agree with those points.

My case would be, It'd be nice if we could buy one at retial price from them that would either only come stock. or have an easy flash solution (where everything would work, not homegrown)
    It wouldn't be a popluar choice, so there's no risk of it eroding future sales, and it builds fans in the (albeit small) dev/purist community. Even having just an OEM stock flash option at the trade off of losing warranty (like when you officially unlock a bootloader) would be nice.

I wouldn't expect them to go fully stock, but the idea is to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    I agree with those points.

My case would be, It'd be nice if we could buy one at retial price from them that would either only come stock. or have an easy flash solution (where everything would work, not homegrown)
    It wouldn't be a popluar choice, so there's no risk of it eroding future sales, and it builds fans in the (albeit small) dev/purist community. Even having just an OEM stock flash option at the trade off of losing warranty (like when you officially unlock a bootloader) would be nice.

I wouldn't expect them to go fully stock, but the idea is to have the option.
    No thanks. I'd rather they keep their finite software resources working on adding useful new features, like split screenmultitasking instead of getting bogged down with babysitting multiple versions of software for the same phone just to passify the very few "I want AOSP but I don't want to lose my warranty" folks out there.

to have touchwiz functionalities they dont really need to change the android interface. so would be nice the original look with the samsung + options.

I own s3, and touchwiz its too buggy, even since 4.0.4. Stock android it has to be

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No bugs here. I may not be a fan of the look of touchwiz, but certainly a fan of all the features it offers.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I want the s4 for what it offers, if I wanted stock again, I'd buy the nexus (although I'm sure I'll root, etc...). It's been awhile since I've used an android phone (moto droid) as I've been on a windows phone for some time. Both my wife and I will be going to the s4 soon as we are eligible for upgrades this June, so it won't be to long of a wait.

I don't mind stock touchwiz once I install nova launcher. Then wait for a solid aokp rom to run.

I agree that these UIs make you more likely to buy the same OEM phone again. I've been using ICS+ iterations of Blur and I absolutely love it! Smart Actions is a big part of my phone now, and the way they've added the quick settings to the HD Models is IMHO much better than cluttering up the notification bar. I also like the quick shortcuts on the unlock screen for phone, text, and camera. Overall, even if Moto doesn't push the latest and greatest hardware (such as 1GB Ram vs the 2GB the S3 had), I was sold on the Maxx HD because of the UI (among other things, like build quality, SD Card, and the amazing battery life).

Am I missing out on some of the TouchWiz features? Sure, but the only features I really liked were S Voice (I use Google Now and Speech-to-Text software), and NFC Sharing (it's a standard for all flagship phones now), but unless we're talking that multi-window feature, there are always 3rd party or alternate versions of these features that you can use without leaving the OEM you are most happy with.

If people love the features TouchWiz has, or the awesome little features that Sense offers, then I can see why that would make them commit to that brand.
    Motorola Moto X on Verizon
    -Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid 4 (Ret)
    -HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid (Ret)

I actually like Samsung additional features. However, I wish they used no skins. Just add those extras on top of stock Android.

The thing is touchwiz doesnt look that good compared to like sense or stock

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Yup.

example: a Galaxy S IV running stock Android wouldn't have S-Voice and multiview.

If you really don't care for those features, you really shouldn't buy that device.
    Out of curiosity(Since I have never used it)...what does S-Voice do different then stock JB (Google now, and voice search)

and for the OP question. Yes I would prefer the S4 with stock android. Though I wouldn't buy one at $700-$800, or be under contract for one. I like changing phones roughly every year, depending on the hardware improvements. Still waiting for the perfect phone.

I have to disagree with a lot of folks who have stated that samsung must be doing the right thing with Touchwiz since they sell so many. They could put what ever they wanted on it and because of their marketing power, they would sell just as well to the 90% who wouldn't know Touchwiz from Sense. Its only the 10% of us nerds who know any thing about the firmware and skin's.

I have a brother who hasn't used or changed anything on his and his wife's S3's. They were buying them under contract, asked my advice, and I told him if they wanted big screens get the S3 over the HTC One for the removable battery and SD. Otherwise get an iphone. If HTC had stock Android I would have recommended that for simplicity.

One of these days I'll get together with him and show him what it can do. I think they represent the 90% of buyers.
    Last edited by Chex313; 03-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Darth Spock likes this.

I want my SIV with Touch Wiz...I could go much less with at&t, VZW or one of the other companies junk, let me put what I want on it

What are the issues involved with ripping out Touchwhiz and replacing it with stock? I'm happy with my GNex but it won't last forever and I have doubts about another Nexus device on VZW in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by STC09 View Post
    What are the issues involved with ripping out Touchwhiz and replacing it with stock? I'm happy with my GNex but it won't last forever and I have doubts about another Nexus device on VZW in the foreseeable future.
    If there are any stock Android Roms out there for your particular device, you could root an S3 (or S IV) and flash one.
    Motorola Moto X on Verizon
    -Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid 4 (Ret)
    -HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid (Ret)

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

I actually prefer TW over stock android, minus the UI TW has. Stock android has a nice clean UI. But besides the clean UI of stock android, I prefer all the extra features TW offers. Swipe to call/msg is probably one of my favorites. Or move the phone to your ear with the name of the contact opened will automatically call the person. TW has some neat features implemented. Also, I dislike the dial-pad setup stock android has on the Nexus 4. Awful interface, you can't use the dial-pad to type the first few numbers of a phone number to bring up closest matches, have to type the name of person on a keyboard. Samsung's dial-pad a lot smoother to me.

I prefer a mix of aftermarket UI like Nova (which is what I'm using) combined with the features of Samsung/TW. The only thing I don't have now since I'm running Nova, is the page buddy from touchwiz, otherwise everything else appears to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 View Post
    If there are any stock Android Roms out there for your particular device, you could root an S3 (or S IV) and flash one.
    So the S series is easy enough to unlock and root? The GNex was simple enough but I've read others are quite difficult and significantly delayed because of it.

Saw a post in another forum where FB is baked into the UI (Sense) and cannot be removed short of flashing a new ROM. Considering how FB was always trying to access the GPS on my old Droid, who knows what info is being passed on to FB. This is yet another example of why I have no interest in proprietary UIs.

Boring locked in BS for executives and kiddies.
    But that's what jailbreaks are for

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    No thanks. I'd rather they keep their finite software resources working on adding useful new features, like split screenmultitasking instead of getting bogged down with babysitting multiple versions of software for the same phone just to passify the very few "I want AOSP but I don't want to lose my warranty" folks out there.
    They've always got a base version on hand, all it needs is drivers for everything, which they are already putting in anyway to do the TW mods. It's nothing they don't already have on hand at all times, and that their internal dev team has someone already working on.

Also, I said I'd like the option direct from them even if it did void the warranty, simply because their build would be the most likely to actually have all features working.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

For me, I buy a device for the hardware. I can change the software (ROM) to suit however I like. I cannot do that with the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    They've always got a base version on hand,
    There's a big difference between "having a base version on hand" and having a base version that is checked and actually ready to be presentable to the customer.

Also, no big company wants to monkey around with the hassles that are entailed with something like "we're ok with you doing this, but it will void your warranty." If nothing else, the initial meeting with the internal lawyers would be so arduous and mind-numbing that most marketing and engineering groups would just throw their hands up and say, "We changed our mind, it's not worth it."

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    There's a big difference between "having a base version on hand" and having a base version that is checked and actually ready to be presentable to the customer.

Also, no big company wants to monkey around with the hassles that are entailed with something like "we're ok with you doing this, but it will void your warranty." If nothing else, the initial meeting with the internal lawyers would be so arduous and mind-numbing that most marketing and engineering groups would just throw their hands up and say, "We changed our mind, it's not worth it."

-Suntan
    I'm no software guy, so I won't argue the first point, though it seems easy enough.

For the bolded one, any developer edition or factory based unlock method clearly state the voiding of warranty, so that doesn't seem to be the stopper. (At least it hasn't for Moto and HTC)

Either way, it's simply something a few would like to see, for the purposes of speculation in this thread. While it does make choosing a new phone tough for the few of us that care, it's really not that serious :P
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

The argument is that Samsung wants you to buy a Samsung phone and Samsung also wants your next phone to be a Samsung phone. They probably want you to have a Samsung tablet too.

If the user experience is identical to everyone else, your next is less likely to be a Samsung phone.

Again, stock Android isn't a sales driver.

And the existence of TouchWiz (and Sense, and MotoBlur) are very much in the spirit of Android.
    It is if you want stock Android.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    It is if you want stock Android.
    Yes, but that's a fairly small group, so it's not necessarily worth Sammy's time to make it so. as a separate option, and it isnt in their best interests to do it for the whole line. (Mind you, I'm one of that small group myself.)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast