Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By GMJeff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default There is no chance that Samsung will buy Google's BS and leave out micro-SD slot for the S4, right?

There is no chance that Samsung will buy Google's BS and leave out micro-SD slot for the S4, right?
    (BS = bologna sandwich... but use your imagination)

Just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    There is no chance that Samsung will buy Google's BS and leave out micro-SD slot for the S4, right?
    (BS = bologna sandwich... but use your imagination)

Just wondering....
    Hopefully not. I'm really wanting a "one device" sort of phone. A mobile device that does all of my mobile needs such as storing music locally. I have around 50gbs of music to store and would love to have all of it on my phone instead of my separate MP3 player. Of course, this is all assuming that the S4 will have a Wolfson DAC.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default No way

With Samsung using TouchWiz, how would Google stop them from adding the support for a sd card slot.

Google gives the OS out for free and Samsung removes what they want. Google would have to remove any calls in the OS to external storage locations or directories.

Besides, people are already up in arms about Google removing the ability to move apps to the sd card and devices not having a lot of internal storage. Remove the sd card entirely and I could possibly see the first nail in android's coffin unless they back it up with devices with 128 GB of storage on board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: There is no chance that Samsung will buy Google's BS & leave out micro-SD slot 4 the S4, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    With Samsung using TouchWiz, how would Google stop them from adding the support for a sd card slot.

Google gives the OS out for free and Samsung removes what they want. Google would have to remove any calls in the OS to external storage locations or directories.

Besides, people are already up in arms about Google removing the ability to move apps to the sd card and devices not having a lot of internal storage. Remove the sd card entirely and I could possibly see the first nail in android's coffin unless they back it up with devices with 128 GB of storage on board.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    AMEN! I couldn't have said it better myself

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Global Posts
    6,096 Global Posts

Default Re: No way

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    I have little doubt the new, thinner and faster 64GB chip is going to be stock on the S4 out of the gate, but I'm hoping 128GB will be an option (and not a belated and ultimately phantom one). I agree it would be a mistake to do away with the SD card if 64GB is all there is, but I'm afraid those of us who need more than that for all of our music (not to mention recording HD video on top of that) are in the minority. Most people are going to find 64GB more than sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by JasW View Post
    I have little doubt the new, thinner and faster 64GB chip is going to be stock on the S4 out of the gate, but I'm hoping 128GB will be an option (and not a belated and ultimately phantom one). I agree it would be a mistake to do away with the SD card if 64GB is all there is, but I'm afraid those of us who need more than that for all of our music (not to mention recording HD video on top of that) are in the minority. Most people are going to find 64GB more than sufficient.
    Coming with 64GB would be fantastic!

For me personally, that would be enough, but I still think it would be a mistake to not include an SD slot. Who can tell what we'll want to put on it a year later?

Market-wise it's a great selling point, along with a removable battery. Two more nails in the competition's coffin, and we all know Samsung is not afraid to attack the competition's weaknesses.

Personally, I have had HTC and Motorola devices. It might be time to try a Samsung device. I've been reading a few articles on BGR, Engadget, and PhoneDog... anyone that has rumored specs have all said they have an SD card. I consider it critical for my Android's to have an SD Card. I think the Samsung Galaxy S4 to be in the running to be my next device.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

I think the fact that the note 8 announced with an sd slot is a good indicator that the s4 will have one too.

I can't help but think that Samsung learned well last year when the HOX and the gs3 released around the same time. One had removable batt and sd slot, and the other didn't.

-Suntan

I don't care if it does but if Samsung keeps up their trend, you have nothing to worry about in terms of a microSD slot.