So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

treb1797

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why they even brought this up at CES if they weren't going to release it on their next flagship device. Just my 2 cents.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
See they might even release the US version with Snapdragon 600 and International with Exynos octa without lte. But then later in the year they will release a LTE version of the Octa

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

I do not think the Octa-Core is what you think it is.

Hint:
It's other name is "big.LITTLE"

If this is making you scratch your head it might be a good idea to read up on this.

But Javengil still makes a good point. Even aside from the fact that -- as others have also said -- current Android software does not take advantage of multiple cores -- four "little" cores still does make much sense. The A7 cores in a BIG.little architecture are there to do the mundane, non-processor intensive stuff in your smartphone. Almost by definition, you don't need multiple "little" cores to do that; if you need more processing power, then you automatically switch to the "BIG" A15-based cores. A four-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core or even a five-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core BIG.little architecture makes more sense.Honestly, while I do expect the Octa-Core to be a decent chip, I think Samsung would have been better off and produced an even better chip if they devoted the "extra" real estate used by the additional A7 "little" cores for an improved GPU instead.

Honestly, Octa-Core is mostly marketing hype. Don't get me wrong, I do expect it to be a decent chip, but the real-world advantages of increasingly multiple cores is simply not there yet.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

But Javengil still makes a good point. Even aside from the fact that -- as others have also said -- current Android software does not take advantage of multiple cores -- four "little" cores still does make much sense. The A7 cores in a BIG.little architecture are there to do the mundane, non-processor intensive stuff in your smartphone. Almost by definition, you don't need multiple "little" cores to do that; if you need more processing power, then you automatically switch to the "BIG" A15-based cores. A four-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core or even a five-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core BIG.little architecture makes more sense.Honestly, while I do expect the Octa-Core to be a decent chip, I think Samsung would have been better off and produced an even better chip if they devoted the "extra" real estate used by the additional A7 "little" cores for an improved GPU instead.

Honestly, Octa-Core is mostly marketing hype. Don't get me wrong, I do expect it to be a decent chip, but the real-world advantages of increasingly multiple cores is simply not there yet.

It's absolutely driven by marketing...but quad core is becoming pretty standard at this point. The software will follow - eventually. The environment for multiple core support will get better. Perhaps the cores may be mostly wasted now...but 6-12 months from now when the S4 is still the flagship? Maybe not as much...maybe.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

It's absolutely driven by marketing...but quad core is becoming pretty standard at this point. The software will follow - eventually. The environment for multiple core support will get better. Perhaps the cores may be mostly wasted now...but 6-12 months from now when the S4 is still the flagship? Maybe not as much...maybe.

The word "eventually" is probably the key word. Although Jelly Bean can take some advantages of multi-core architectures and I do expect improvements with Key Lime Pie but, honestly, I do not expect Android to be fully multi-threaded and able to truly handle multiple cores until "Muffin" at the earliest. And by then, I will have upgraded to the Galaxy S5 or Note 4 or whatnot, very possibly running some sort of multi-core ARMv8, 64-bit chip.

Moreover, aside from the software today not taking advantage of multiple cores, most users don't take advantage of multiple cores. What I mean by that is that very few applications that users actually use require constant CPU activity; games, movies and possibly music being the most notable exceptions. Indeed, games and movies are more dependent on GPU "horsepower" and even music does not overly tax most smartphone CPUs today. Most times, when the user needs to do multiple things at the same time, the CPU can be time-sliced: with a single-core processor, applications (or more precisely, application threads) are placed in a wait state and register settings saved and reloaded as needed. Obviously, this is less efficient than running multi-threaded applications on a multi-core processor (or even running several single-core applications on a multi-core processor) but for most people, it is more than enough.

Bottom line, for me I am much more concerned about GPU power than the number of core the CPU in my smartphone has. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary but I suspect -- despite the marketing hype that most people seem to be buying into -- that really is the case for most people.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why they even brought this up at CES if they weren't going to release it on their next flagship device. Just my 2 cents.

Because its the first use of the big little architecture by an ARM manufacturer. Because its likely to be found in a Samsung device at some point in the future.

There was absolutely no evidence at all that the s4 would use the octa. People just assumed it would. In all likelihood, it will be in a tablet first. It may not ever be seen in a phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes but that's a rumour its not actually been confirmed, it was rumoured to have a mali t628 and rumoured for a power vr 543. We actually don't know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No. It was confirmed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
On one of the tech sites I was looking at earlier, it was mentioned that the S4 will have the quad core snapdragon 600 here in the states and the octa will be on the international versions like they did with the S3, giving the states the dual core and the quad core being on the international version. If I find the site I seen it on, I'll post it here.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
On one of the tech sites I was looking at earlier, it was mentioned that the S4 will have the quad core snapdragon 600 here in the states and the octa will be on the international versions like they did with the S3, giving the states the dual core and the quad core being on the international version. If I find the site I seen it on, I'll post it here.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

Um...the 600 is quad core and the Octa is 8 core.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2