Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Well well well, the recent leaked benchmarks may have been real after all, from Sammobile they claim that the S4 will use a Snapdragon 600 (Same as HTC One) but instead clocked at 1.9ghz and a beefed up GPU ( Adreno 320).

    There was also leaks on a Korean magazine that had said that the S4 will most probably use the SNPDGN 600. This may not be so bad after all for 2 reasons:

    1. HTC One benchmarks are ridiculously higher than any other phone/tablet out there and the GS4 will have a higher CPU and GPU clock.

    2. By using this SoC, it will give samsung time to focus on their Octa-Core chip and try to be the best on the market. Or may the Octa be in any tablets?

    Only time will tell, so are Samsung doing the right thing? Post your thoughts below!

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AndroidS3; 02-22-2013 at 05:37 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Of course. Samsung is much better at using other people's technology than creating their own. So they are following a precedent, and I applaud them for it.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    AndroidS3 likes this.
  3. #3  
    jeffreii's Avatar
    CrackBerry Convert

    Posts
    793 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Either way I'll be quite happy - the Snapdragon S4 in my GS3 is very nice and either would be a big improvement.

    Honestly though, this is total speculation. There are plenty of rumors that the Exynos 5 Octa will be in the GS4. Just because the latest rumor says otherwise doesn't make it any more likely than the last rumor.

    There's also the very likely chance that different regions will see different processors just like the GS3...though I understood that Samsung had managed to get the USA variant of LTE baked into their Exynos chips in order to avoid that fragmentation...that would obviously be smart for them - building your own parts in house, if you're good at it like Samsung is, is more efficient...especially given the supply crunch Qualcomm had last year with the Snapdragon.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    What happened to power VR??.. Will the international version have the same gpu?
  5. #5  
    deesugar's Avatar

    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,200 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    AndroidS3,
    There's also the possibility that since the Octa-Core (to my knowledge) does not support LTE, there may be two versions. Snapdragon for LTE carriers and Big.Little for all others.
  6. #6  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Why do we need 8 cores anyway? There is no software (apps) on the market to take advantage of all the threads, unless they mean to assign all of the cores to different uses.

    Like one runs the video, another runs the radios, etc.

    I can only guess they can't go much higher on clock speed due to the amount of heat they would produce at higher levels, but rather process multiple instructions at once.

    PCs are the same way, octo core cpus are not utilized as they should be due to no software support on the open market. They are normally a server cpu, where they can shine.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Username: likes this.
  7. #7  
    deesugar's Avatar

    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,200 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    Why do we need 8 cores anyway?
    I do not think the Octa-Core is what you think it is.

    Hint:
    It's other name is "big.LITTLE"

    If this is making you scratch your head it might be a good idea to read up on this.
    SamOliver likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    It really doesn't matter a whole lot. I mean look at the Note 2 it has a great CPU has great battery life and is as fast as you would ever need a phone to be. Another thing is the Android os is not as highly optimized for the quad cores that are in are phones now. I hear that's going to change in KLP though. So that will add even more Battery life.

    Yes these processors are getting faster and more cores are helping but really how much faster do we really need in our phones. I just want to see the quad core processor's we are using now get the software that would make them even better and faster. But it looks like we are going to have to wait for KLP. I just can't wait for the Note 3. Just like the S3 the Note 2 was a bigger better version of it with the greatness of the s-pen.

    But if the Note 3 isn't a upgrade I can live without I may just wait for the Note 4, ect. People are really going crazy with phones right now, buying into all the hype. I'm just loving watching how fast things are changing, to fast imo but still fun to be a part of. Every few months something better comes out every few years something amazing comes out. The thing I don't understand is why Samsung would go back to snapdragon processor's. I feel Samsung would be better off using there own. Anyway we will just have to wait and see. Rumors are fun but it's going to be some to see what they really are going to do. If they put a real 1080p screen on the S4 rather then a pentile that really will be cool. Unneeded at that screen size but still cool. But I would rather see better battery life then a screen you don't need on a phone. I wonder if the HTC one will steal any sales. This is a crazy time to own a phone. The day you buy it the phone becomes obsolete. But that's why you need to buy a phone you really want and be willing to wait for an upgrade. Or pay a crazy price for something that won't be the best a week later.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  
    jeffreii's Avatar
    CrackBerry Convert

    Posts
    793 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    Why do we need 8 cores anyway? There is no software (apps) on the market to take advantage of all the threads, unless they mean to assign all of the cores to different uses.

    Like one runs the video, another runs the radios, etc.

    I can only guess they can't go much higher on clock speed due to the amount of heat they would produce at higher levels, but rather process multiple instructions at once.

    PCs are the same way, octo core cpus are not utilized as they should be due to no software support on the open market. They are normally a server cpu, where they can shine.
    As another poster mentioned, you probably did not read about the Exynos 5 Octa aside from making assumptions based on the Octa/8 reference.

    It's actually a 4 x 2 situation...it has 4 A7 cores that are very efficient and handle the easy stuff...and then it has 4 A15 cores that are very powerful and not as battery-friendly...they seemlessly switch back and forth based on processing demand, in order to give you the best tradeoff between power and battery life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Onemoa View Post
    It really doesn't matter a whole lot. I mean look at the Note 2 it has a great CPU has great battery life and is as fast as you would ever need a phone to be. Another thing is the Android os is not as highly optimized for the quad cores that are in are phones now. I hear that's going to change in KLP though. So that will add even more Battery life.

    Yes these processors are getting faster and more cores are helping but really how much faster do we really need in our phones. I just want to see the quad core processor's we are using now get the software that would make them even better and faster. But it looks like we are going to have to wait for KLP. I just can't wait for the Note 3. Just like the S3 the Note 2 was a bigger better version of it with the greatness of the s-pen.

    But if the Note 3 isn't a upgrade I can live without I may just wait for the Note 4, ect. People are really going crazy with phones right now, buying into all the hype. I'm just loving watching how fast things are changing, to fast imo but still fun to be a part of. Every few months something better comes out every few years something amazing comes out. The thing I don't understand is why Samsung would go back to snapdragon processor's. I feel Samsung would be better off using there own. Anyway we will just have to wait and see. Rumors are fun but it's going to be some to see what they really are going to do. If they put a real 1080p screen on the S4 rather then a pentile that really will be cool. Unneeded at that screen size but still cool. But I would rather see better battery life then a screen you don't need on a phone. I wonder if the HTC one will steal any sales. This is a crazy time to own a phone. The day you buy it the phone becomes obsolete. But that's why you need to buy a phone you really want and be willing to wait for an upgrade. Or pay a crazy price for something that won't be the best a week later.
    There's still hope Samsung will manage to put 4.2 in the S4...it's available, obviously, and it's just a matter of whether or not they have time to mess with it a la Touchwiz before release...since they are releasing later (presumably) than the HTC One, they might have time to get 4.2 instead of 4.1.2. That's a rather big perk if you're on a carrier...not such a big deal if you can use the international version which will get updates a lot quicker.

    If Samsung could, they would use only Exynos in their phones. The Snapdragon has only been necessary because it provides LTE built-in to the SoC. I've read conflicting reports about Exynos and LTE...so I'm not really sure where that stands...but they must have a goal of ending their reliance on 3rd party manufacturers like Qualcomm...the question is when will it be feasible.

    With regards to the current CPUs being as fast as they could ever need to be...people have been saying that for years!
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    AndroidS3,
    There's also the possibility that since the Octa-Core (to my knowledge) does not support LTE, there may be two versions. Snapdragon for LTE carriers and Big.Little for all others.
    Yes but now much of Europe is turning towards LTE I think samsung would want to use an LTE chip for the international version, and from the person before who said what about the Power Vr then im not sure. If they use Snapdragon then it'll be Adreno 320 but if its octa core then probably Mali 6 series or power vr 554/544

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    This is confusing.. Release the device already
  12. #12  
    jeffreii's Avatar
    CrackBerry Convert

    Posts
    793 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    Yes but now much of Europe is turning towards LTE I think samsung would want to use an LTE chip for the international version, and from the person before who said what about the Power Vr then im not sure. If they use Snapdragon then it'll be Adreno 320 but if its octa core then probably Mali 6 series or power vr 554/544
    The Exynos 5 Octa uses the PowerVR SGX 544MP3 as its GPU, replacing the Mali.

    AnandTech - Samsung Details Exynos 5 Octa Architecture & Power at ISSCC '13
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Yes but that's a rumour its not actually been confirmed, it was rumoured to have a mali t628 and rumoured for a power vr 543. We actually don't know

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    I think going with the Snapdragon is a wise choice. Very efficient, making for great battery life, and excellent baseband integration just make it an all around easier/better chip to work with

    Also, I like Samsung's decision to switch to PowerVR, but why did they go with the SGX 544MP3?
  15. #15  
    jeffreii's Avatar
    CrackBerry Convert

    Posts
    793 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    If the USA version is going to get a Snapdragon again, I am totally fine with that. I guess the smart bet would be on the Snapdragon 600, like the HTC One...but honestly I was surprised they didn't go with the Snapdragon 800. I haven't read anything that explains that decision...I wonder if there's any hope of Samsung going with the 800 for the S4...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    I think going with the Snapdragon is a wise choice. Very efficient, making for great battery life, and excellent baseband integration just make it an all around easier/better chip to work with

    Also, I like Samsung's decision to switch to PowerVR, but why did they go with the SGX 544MP3?
    Yeah your right there! Very efficient their chips as well as very powerful, yeah not a bad idea to go with power vr but better to go with the 554 or 6 series?

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    Yes but now much of Europe is turning towards LTE I think samsung would want to use an LTE chip for the international version, and from the person before who said what about the Power Vr then im not sure. If they use Snapdragon then it'll be Adreno 320 but if its octa core then probably Mali 6 series or power vr 554/544

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    "Turning towards" being the key operative phrase. It doesn't give you an indication of the time span it will actually take to achieve the LTE network.

    Samsung is not an innovative or a visionary company. They wait to see what true visionaries do first, then they copy their ideas and slash prices using their extensive supply chain as leverage. That, combined with some other factors such as marketing and public backlash against Apple, is how Samsung achieved the market dominance they enjoy today.

    I'm not angry at Samsung, I understand that they are driven purely by greedy Korean businessmen, not any type of transformatory ideas.

    So Samsung has no incentive to integrate LTE radio into their Exynos brand, *other* than to slash prices of paying 3rd parties like Qualcomm. Let's have zero illusions about that. The implementation of LTE is strictly a business goal, not a design one. They will roll out LTE Exynos only when it's been thoroughly tested and safe, because Samsung doesn't like to be risky. In the meantime, you will get Snapdragon on US versions of the S4, and Exynos on international.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    "Turning towards" being the key operative phrase. It doesn't give you an indication of the time span it will actually take to achieve the LTE network.

    Samsung is not an innovative or a visionary company. They wait to see what true visionaries do first, then they copy their ideas and slash prices using their extensive supply chain as leverage. That, combined with some other factors such as marketing and public backlash against Apple, is how Samsung achieved the market dominance they enjoy today.

    I'm not angry at Samsung, I understand that they are driven purely by greedy Korean businessmen, not any type of transformatory ideas.

    So Samsung has no incentive to integrate LTE radio into their Exynos brand, *other* than to slash prices of paying 3rd parties like Qualcomm. Let's have zero illusions about that. The implementation of LTE is strictly a business goal, not a design one. They will roll out LTE Exynos only when it's been thoroughly tested and safe, because Samsung doesn't like to be risky. In the meantime, you will get Snapdragon on US versions of the S4, and Exynos on international.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    So no LTE in uk if they using exynos?.. S3 has a LTE uk model
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Well if the LTE version gets released later in the year like the s3 then it may have exynos, but atm they are using snapdragon 600

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    I dont get why they wud release a normal version for UK then LTE later.. The UK has LTE up and running now and more carriers will have theirs in the summer.. I would not buy a standard 3g one its too slow
    AndroidS3 likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Snapdragon may be for US carrier but in the international version they might use the Exynos like in Galaxy S3.
  22. #22  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,814 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    Nothing is stopping Samsung from using a Qualcomm modem with their own Exynos.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    I just don't understand why they even brought this up at CES if they weren't going to release it on their next flagship device. Just my 2 cents.
    Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S4
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core love for Galaxy S4

    See they might even release the US version with Snapdragon 600 and International with Exynos octa without lte. But then later in the year they will release a LTE version of the Octa

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  25. #25  
    Username:'s Avatar

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: So no Octa-Core from the S4!

    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I do not think the Octa-Core is what you think it is.

    Hint:
    It's other name is "big.LITTLE"

    If this is making you scratch your head it might be a good idea to read up on this.
    But Javengil still makes a good point. Even aside from the fact that -- as others have also said -- current Android software does not take advantage of multiple cores -- four "little" cores still does make much sense. The A7 cores in a BIG.little architecture are there to do the mundane, non-processor intensive stuff in your smartphone. Almost by definition, you don't need multiple "little" cores to do that; if you need more processing power, then you automatically switch to the "BIG" A15-based cores. A four-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core or even a five-core A15 "BIG" core - single-core A7 "little" core BIG.little architecture makes more sense.Honestly, while I do expect the Octa-Core to be a decent chip, I think Samsung would have been better off and produced an even better chip if they devoted the "extra" real estate used by the additional A7 "little" cores for an improved GPU instead.

    Honestly, Octa-Core is mostly marketing hype. Don't get me wrong, I do expect it to be a decent chip, but the real-world advantages of increasingly multiple cores is simply not there yet.
    Thanked by:
    AndroidS3 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If I could go from the Bionic to the Rezound at no cost
    By nocaldawg in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  3. So we have the apk files from the Droid X..
    By sniffs in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
  4. So im coming from the Palm pre, and have the chargers
    By Jupiter600 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
  5. So...No 2.1 Announcement from Sprint today?
    By spatel9114 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions