Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default It's all about the screen

I hope the screen on the gs4 is way better than the one on the gs3. Next to my One X it looked dim and grey and was really subpar. I want some "screen" competition so I have more choices this year!

From my HTC One X running ViperXL 3.2
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Default Re: It's all about the screen

Not going to lie I do believe the s3 screen is subpar compared to some of the lcd panels. But with how the note 2 screen is much better I hope Samsung will step up their game with the s4. Because I want another good amoled screen
    Rooted for life

One of the many rumors floating about is that the display will be a full HD LCD display versus a Super Amoled HD display. Here's hoping. We will see in eight days.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    One of the many rumors floating about is that the display will be a full HD LCD display versus a Super Amoled HD display. Here's hoping. We will see in eight days.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    That would be great! I love the brightness of the LCD displays!

hopefully they move away from amoled. if not i may have to pass this one up.
    badbrad17 likes this.

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Everything I have seen in the speculation column never says that it will be LCD. That is just someone's guess.

The screen on the Note 2 is good. It was made to be put into the Note. I don't see Samsung abandoning their amoled screens for one that uses more battery. As I read somewhere else this morning, Samsung touts the battery savings from the amoled screens, so why change now.
    Besides, my last HTC phone I had, the desire was supposed to have some great LCD screen at the time and all it did was look washed out to me.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.

Most of the people who have a "work" smartphone turn down the brightness to save the battery...I do it too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    Everything I have seen in the speculation column never says that it will be LCD. That is just someone's guess.

The screen on the Note 2 is good. It was made to be put into the Note. I don't see Samsung abandoning their amoled screens for one that uses more battery. As I read somewhere else this morning, Samsung touts the battery savings from the amoled screens, so why change now.
    Besides, my last HTC phone I had, the desire was supposed to have some great LCD screen at the time and all it did was look washed out to me.

Galaxy S4 or Note 3 for my next. Decisions, decisions.
    I'd abandon the technology simply because next to HTC's screen technology, the AMOLED looks fairly terrible to my eyes.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    I'd abandon the technology simply because next to HTC's screen technology, the AMOLED looks fairly terrible to my eyes.
    I agree. I go into AT&T with my One X and do side by sides and this screen is still tops! Sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot but I have yet to find anything that can beat it. That's why I'm hoping Samsung ups their game!

Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Fairly? It's not even close.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    tcm1969 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Fairly? It's not even close.
    I speak with limited hyperbole

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Samsung Will not abandon AMOLED and all your other cell phone carriers will eventual switch aswell.
    The only reason they have not yet is because OLED technology is in its infancy and at the moment very expensive to mass produce. OLED is not the problem its the Device architecture with in a year or two OLED will easily be much better than LCD.

Samsung limits themselves because they are limited by their production facility, they could improve it more quickly but instead of making the machinary fit the technology they are making the technology fit the machinary because the latter is not as expensive.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Samsung Will not abandon AMOLED and all your other cell phone carriers will eventual switch aswell.
    The only reason they have not yet is because OLED technology is in its infancy and at the moment very expensive to mass produce. OLED is not the problem its the Device architecture with in a year or two OLED will easily be much better than LCD.

Samsung limits themselves because they are limited by their production facility, they could improve it more quickly but instead of making the machinary fit the technology they are making the technology fit the machinary because the latter is not as expensive.
    They won't switch if Samsung is the only company making them. OLED was better than LCD for a time, then it switched. It'll switch again. And then again. It's how it goes. One thing is for sure, they will both always have their trade-offs.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    They won't switch if Samsung is the only company making them. OLED was better than LCD for a time, then it switched. It'll switch again. And then again. It's how it goes. One thing is for sure, they will both always have their trade-offs.
    Samsung is not the only company that makes OLED, at the moment LG and Sony are gearing up amongst others. Samsung just happened to be first. And of course they will go back and forth, but where LCD is reaching its limits OLED still has tons of more potential.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Well hopefully they make a better case for a mass-immigration to OLED, because I haven't seen a screen that comes close to HTC's current lineup. Maybe the Xperia Z. Maybe the Nexus 4.

For a screen manufacturer, the inconsistencies that plague Samsung screens are absolutely astonishing.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I love IPS compared to AMOLED. My Nexus 4 is incredible, yet when side by side compared to the HTC One X it's still not quite as nice. I can never go back to a Samsung phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Well hopefully they make a better case for a mass-immigration to OLED, because I haven't seen a screen that comes close to HTC's current lineup. Maybe the Xperia Z. Maybe the Nexus 4.

For a screen manufacturer, the inconsistencies that plague Samsung screens are absolutely astonishing.
    Like i said they are making the technology fit their machinary instead of the other way around. its still early on in the technology and they are basically still developing while they are distributing. LCD technology has been developing since the early 1900s and OLED has only been in development for maybe the last 20yrs and you can see how quickly it is catching up. Even as Samsung is putting out the displays we are already way ahead on molecule development. LCD is great but OLED is on its heals.

I agree, but by the "looks" of the two companies side by side, i'd say Samsung won't try to copy too much of what HTC is doing. It'll be tough to convince Samsung to change when they're clearly doing fine. Hopefully they copy HTC's build quality and screen tech.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Sorry for being so defensive, i work on a team that develops Phosphorescent OLED material and Device architectures, so i take it kind of personal. i get upset when i see people writing it off when the technology really has not had a chance to show what it can do so early on in the game.
    HellRa1SeR likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Sorry for being so defensive, i work on a team that develops Phosphorescent OLED material and Device architectures, so i take it kind of personal. i get upset when i see people writing it off when the technology really has not had a chance to show what it can do so early on in the game.
    I think people just go with what they like. I've read many people say they like OLED more than the rest too.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I love IPS compared to AMOLED. My Nexus 4 is incredible, yet when side by side compared to the HTC One X it's still not quite as nice. I can never go back to a Samsung phone.

Yeah what gives with the Nexus 4 display it has an IPS display yet somethings about it look washed out!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Understandable. I'd be a bigger fan of OLED if my GN didn't suffer from burn in, ghosting, and those black blotches . Looked great the first month or two, though.

It's all personal perspective anyway.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Understandable. I'd be a bigger fan of OLED if my GN didn't suffer from burn in, ghosting, and those black blotches . Looked great the first month or two, though.

It's all personal perspective anyway.
    Burn in is a product of the youth of the technology. Burn in is a result of the blue oled molecules degrading faster than red and green. As new blue molecules are developed to be more robust those effects will be less likely. Just try not to leave static images for long Periods of time. I have 4 oled devices at the moment non have burn in.

I bought a store demo device once that was left on with a message box and that had crazy burn in. I bought it in philly and the store that I was in sold like refurb and trade in devices. The store owner insisted he didn't see burn in, so in my attempt to get a discount I went and flipped the light switch in his store and had the other customers around come look at how bad the burn in was and that he was playing stupid. So I got the device for $75 cheaper. At work we had the same device that we had ripped apart to reverse engineer, so I just swapped the screen and had a brand new device .

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Burn in is a product of the youth of the technology. Burn in is a result of the blue oled molecules degrading faster than red and green. As new blue molecules are developed to be more robust those effects will be less likely. Just try not to leave static images for long Periods of time. I have 4 oled devices at the moment non have burn in.

I bought a store demo device once that was left on with a message box and that had crazy burn in. I bought it in philly and the store that I was in sold like refurb and trade in devices. The store owner insisted he didn't see burn in, so in my attempt to get a discount I went and flipped the light switch in his store and had the other customers around come look at how bad the burn in was and that he was playing stupid. So I got the device for $75 cheaper. At work we had the same device that we had ripped apart to reverse engineer, so I just swapped the screen and had a brand new device .

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    They also overload blue because of that quicker burn out rate, no?

The black splotches were less alarming; but having an almost always blue top bar (where the status bar is) is somewhat...depressing.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Yeah what gives with the Nexus 4 display it has an IPS display yet somethings about it look washed out!
    People keep saying that but mine doesn't. Lots of people were using apps to tweak the colors etc but mine looks really good. Just not as good as the HTC OneX

Android Evangelist
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast