Isn't GS4 by definition dead on arrival?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP's post: @JonCBK... There are still a LOT of what if's... since everything is still a rumor mill and even if you believe the latest rumors with an 8 core processor actually coming to the S4. I have to say I'll sell my Razr Maxx that is a little over a year old and buy this new S4. Going from a dual core phone to this... sure I'll do it. I will be paying full price for it since I want to keep my unlimited data plan.

I don't think this is dead on arrival. I think it's a very smart move. They need to get a new phone out on the market to compete with the iPhone5, the HTC One, the Motorola X phone, and whatever LG and any of the other minor players out there are coming up with. There is nothing wrong with the S3, nor most of the other phones out there. My Maxx just got the JB update and is working just fine, but I like having the latest toys and can afford to buy it now... so why not (not really a question, but more a statement).

If Samsung delivers with a phone that it sounds like they will deliver I'll be very happy, but to me that means they absolutely need an SD card, great screen resolution (1080p display), a fairly large removable battery (2,600mAh), and a 1.8GHz Exynos 5410 octa-core processor (which it sounds like they have ready for this).... I think I'll buy this one... and it should be good me for at least a year or longer.

I will be listening to the official announcement tonight.

JonCBK

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Coincidentally I was having drinks last night with my friend who has a GS3 and a woman from his yoga class (who he was trying to put the moves on) and as it turns out she had the GS2. So I'm probably way off and there are enough older android users to make the switch to the GS4. I may swing by radio city music hall as it is near work and see if there is anything being set up. Unfortunately the launch isn't until 7 and I've got theater tickets, so I will be off line when the big unveil happens. I still think there is a good chance this is going to be a disappointment at least how it is presented in the media. But I'm convinced by this thread that calling it DOA is wrong.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I got my GNex in the fall for $50 because the GS3 was the new it phone selling for $299 with 2-year upgrade. Guess the GNex will be a free phone now, but it is a year old. I didn't want to spend $300 for a phone which is how I made my decision on which phone to get, but if the N4 is that much better, I might have to consider getting one since I'll only be out $49. And I upgraded from a flip phone, not a smart phone. And in Washington, DC everyone has an iPhone or Blackberry. Androids just are not used corporately and until that changes, iPhone will continue to have a large part of the market that they stole from RIM and Nextel.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Not everyone!!!

BlackBerrys are actually still pretty prevalent around here because the DoD and other Government agencies require the kind of security that only BES can offer (I have to carry a "work" BB myself), but when it comes to *personal* devices, I highly doubt that the ratio of iPhone to Android is that different than anywhere else in this country.

wallstreet123456

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I for one am hoping this is a fantastic phone since my contract is up for renewal but it seems that if everything I have read about the rumors is true this will be considered a let down by many people. You would think by renting out Radio City Music Hall that there would be something unbelieveable in store. Fingers crossed.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone!!!

BlackBerrys are actually still pretty prevalent around here because the DoD and other Government agencies require the kind of security that only BES can offer (I have to carry a "work" BB myself), but when it comes to *personal* devices, I highly doubt that the ratio of iPhone to Android is that different than anywhere else in this country.
Funny you say that because I just had brunch with a friend of mine that works on the Hill and she has a Blackberry for work but her phone is an Android. But that's government where I'd hope most people would be smart enough to have two phones, but I don't think most do and definitely not in the private sector.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Funny you say that because I just had brunch with a friend of mine that works on the Hill and she has a Blackberry for work but her phone is an Android. But that's government where I'd hope most people would be smart enough to have two phones, but I don't think most do and definitely not in the private sector.

It's not always about being "smart enough"...it's often about not having a choice. My BB I carry for work (yes, it's Gov't) is locked down to the point where it does 2 things: makes and receives phone calls, and email. And by email I mean ONLY my work account, that I'm only allowed to use for official business, no outside accounts, no apps, (no fun). In other words, I *HAVE* to carry a separate personal phone if I want to do, you know, anything personal, with it. I've known a few folks that exist with just their work BB, but they sacrifice being able to use just about anything other than the phone. While both iPhone and Android have become more popular for business and BYOD use thanks to better security policies, they simply cannot be as fully controlled at the device AND service level that BlackBerry can with BES, which is why I don't see a lot of Government agencies switching anytime real soon, although I'm sure at some point more and more will.

For me though, it doesn't matter -- I don't want my company/employer having control of my device, nor do I want my personal information and data on a company device...so I'll always carry 2 as long as I have a need to.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
what if the LG op G pro was in the states? would you still consider the S4? i mean from the "rumors" of the s4 with the eye tracking, smart pause, and stuff like that, LG is updating the op g pro with the same stuff.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
what if the LG op G pro was in the states? would you still consider the S4? i mean from the "rumors" of the s4 with the eye tracking, smart pause, and stuff like that, LG is updating the op g pro with the same stuff.

Doesn't matter because those features are gimmicks. They have no real world application. Floating touch for example - your finger is already SO close to the screen...What's the point? You mind as well move your fingers 1-2mm forward and touch the screen. Smart Pause is going to stop my video JUST because I looked away?! Why?

JonCBK

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well we have to see this stuff in practice. Floating touch allowing basically something like the right click on a mouse might turn out to be great. The eye control features had better work really well or else I suspect they will be annoying and turned off. But we won't know until the announcement and the reviews start coming out.
Renting out Radio City Music Hall for a phone announcement is a pretty ballsy move. So Samsung must believe it has something huge to announce. And this phone is supposed to be a game changer or at very least the biggest selling phone in the market.

JonCBK

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm still thinking the GS4 isn't going to work out for Samsung. Not the way they want and expect it to. It is supposed to be an iPhone competitor. To do that it needs to sell north of 40 million. Mediocre reviews, a high price and only incremental build quality improvements leads me to think that they won't reach that number. It is a great phone from what I've seen. But the HTC One seems just as good. And for the GS4 to reach its numbers it needs to sell in huge quantities months after its release. I don't think it is going to do that.
Note that the huge sales numbers reported is for a global launch, unlike anything any other company has ever been able to pull off. It is an impressive display of logistics and manufacturing ability. But it also makes the numbers like 6 million sold in first month not exactly a fair comparison with iPhone launches which have been in far less numbers of countries initially. And I heard very little word of shortages, suggesting there isn't a ton more demand out there.
Again, I'm feeling like the GS4 has to sell 40 million this year to be a success. And it has to sell those numbers at at least a $600 price point. Anything less is not going to be a real success.
But DOA is way to strong a term, I was wrong there.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why not ask for the 3 gig ram version? There simply is no 32 gb version right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, let's get the numbers right first off...The GS4 has officially sold 10 MILLION units in 25 DAYS! Exactly half the time it took the S3 to reach this platue! This was accomplished before Verizon, the largest carrier in the US even started selling them!!! Factor in Verizon being a bit limited on high end choices that will work in Samsung's favor also!
While it is too early to know if the S4 will be the runaway train that the S3 was and is, this may be more a product of expectation then real numbers! I find it hard to imagine that anyone will be able to call it a failure, and DOA is just silly!

Cheers

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, let's get the numbers right first off...The GS4 has officially sold 10 MILLION units in 25 DAYS! Exactly half the time it took the S3 to reach this platue! This was accomplished before Verizon, the largest carrier in the US even started selling them!!! Factor in Verizon being a bit limited on high end choices that will work in Samsung's favor also!
While it is too early to know if the S4 will be the runaway train that the S3 was and is, this may be more a product of expectation then real numbers! I find it hard to imagine that anyone will be able to call it a failure, and DOA is just silly!

Cheers

This was a question asked in early March... You're right, after the fact it's easy to figure out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This was a question asked in early March... You're right, after the fact it's easy to figure out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This was a post made today,

I'm still thinking the GS4 isn't going to work out for Samsung. Not the way they want and expect it to. It is supposed to be an iPhone competitor. To do that it needs to sell north of 40 million. Mediocre reviews, a high price and only incremental build quality improvements leads me to think that they won't reach that number. It is a great phone from what I've seen. But the HTC One seems just as good. And for the GS4 to reach its numbers it needs to sell in huge quantities months after its release. I don't think it is going to do that.
Note that the huge sales numbers reported is for a global launch, unlike anything any other company has ever been able to pull off. It is an impressive display of logistics and manufacturing ability. But it also makes the numbers like 6 million sold in first month not exactly a fair comparison with iPhone launches which have been in far less numbers of countries initially. And I heard very little word of shortages, suggesting there isn't a ton more demand out there.
Again, I'm feeling like the GS4 has to sell 40 million this year to be a success. And it has to sell those numbers at at least a $600 price point. Anything less is not going to be a real success.
But DOA is way to strong a term, I was wrong there.

Apparently it's not as easy after all after the fact.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
actually, if you read the thread, JonCBK made the "6 million sold in first month" number comment TODAY at 1:12 PM
It's even easier if you pay attention!
Cheers

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan boy but I think sales of the s4 are in line with what Samsung would call a good first month for any device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Cheers

Unless DOA = Doing Overly Awesome, there aint no DOA here. That said, the 10 million is sell-in and not sell-through to consumers. It is easy to get one and are not selling out at the moment. It is easy to find them, unlike the S3 last year. The 10 million will take a little time to sell through. Maybe they will take the time to build up stock for Verizon and others with 32gb models! Not.

DavidsTech

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The GS4 is already a success and it's going to sell millions more. I went with the 64GB htc one but I would have good with the GS4 too. I'm happy with my HTC One, it's stock yet I seen zero lag or stutter.
It looks like I will add to Sammy's numbers though. The GS4 Google Edition is something I think I am going to get.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1