Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree292Likes
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,084 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    I appreciate debates like this. You stated that you think AMOLED displays are inferior. This is clearly an opinion the way you stated this. I can respect that.

Looking at the dna, the screen was a beautiful, but not enough to sway me away from the note 2. I really love organic screens, I just think they look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Statusnone View Post
    The last few Samsung phones I can think of besides the Note 2 have been pentile, (Original Galaxy S, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy Nexus, SGS3) so I didn't think I had to specify.

I was referring to the fact that everyone on here is comparing Samsungs old pentile matrix on the sgs3 (and prior) to the new diamond format for the sgs4. Yes, both are still pentile, but given how dense you are I guess that was too much for you to process. Try harder next time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
    My reply was meant to prove a point. The way you took my reply was exactly the same way members took yours. To give you an idea of where my level of knowledge lies I suggest you read THIS POST. I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). I consider myself a highly knowledgeable individual when it comes to hardware used in phones.

Feel free to peruse the other stickies in that thread, and look for more in the future breaking down the newer SoC's. Maybe even a guest post on the blog....

Needless to say, it's kinda hard to argue against my level of (admittedly not expert) knowledge on the subject of hardware. Not tooting my own horn, I just pride myself in knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I take it as a matter of pride to have and provide correct and accurate information when I post.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Johnly and Love Divine like this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by The Real X Dawg View Post
    This is very interesting. What's special about the diamond maxtrix layout?
    OK so on the left you have the diamond layout and on the right the older pentile layout. on the right you can clearly see there are large gaps and not evenly spaced which causes jagged images. on the left you can see how they have broken down the green and filled these gaps in giving you a much more uniform and sharper image.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). .
    Thanks Keven , but By no means am i an expert in all things display. I work at the molecular level of OLED's so i know what they are capable of and how they can be structured, But there is more that goes into an OLED display than just the emitter molecules.
    I probably know a little more than the average person about displays but not enough to say expert.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 2:
    The Real X Dawg likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,084 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    OK so on the left you have the diamond layout and on the right the older pentile layout. on the right you can clearly see there are large gaps and not evenly spaced which causes jagged images. on the left you can see how they have broken down the green and filled these gaps in giving you a much more uniform and sharper image.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps39891fc4.png

Thanks Keven , but By no means am i an expert in all things display. I work at the molecular level of OLED's so i know what they are capable of and how they can be structured, But there is more that goes into an OLED display than just the emitter molecules.
    I probably know a little more than the average person about displays but not enough to say expert.
    Much closer to being an expert than me. :-)
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    10,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    My reply was meant to prove a point. The way you took my reply was exactly the same way members took yours. To givee you an idea of where my level of knowledge lies I suggest you read THIS POST. I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). I consider myself a highly knowledgeable individual when it comes to hardware used in phones.

Feel free to peruse the other stickies in that thread, and look for more in the future breaking down the newer SoC's. Maybe even a guest post on the blog....

Needless to say, it's kinda hard to argue against my level of (admittedly not expert) knowledge on the subject of hardware. Not tooting my own horn, I just pride myself in knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I take it as a matter of pride to have and provide correct and accurate information when I post.
    No worries.

Global Posts
    10,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I am certainly no expert! But I have had a bazillion phones, and can have my pick of whatever one I want, whenever. When one takes statements like "I have to shade my amoled screen to read in the sun" as truth, when by experience, that simply isn't true on a 240 L + amoled display. I am all for learning, and can eat crow if need be lol.

Well then what is all this s4 pentile display suck talk? Ignorant bliss? Lmao!
    chris2k5 is an instigator and likes to state opinions as fact.

Sent from my Note 2
    Thanked by:
    crester likes this.

Global Posts
    10,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Kevin and droidxcon bring good info to the table, though I think kevin is just a tinge bias to HTC and that is probably my bias to Samsung talking. Lol!
    Last edited by Johnly; 03-18-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    DroidXcon likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    Here's a video comparison and in depth detail about the S4's screen"

Galaxy S 4 In-Depth First Impressions *Samsung Unpacked 2013* - YouTube

Diamond pentile matrix that you'll hardly be able to tell is pentile.
    Erica always does an amazing job, BIG fan.
    TheOtherBill likes this.

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post

Sent from my Note 2
    Calling out another member is instigating too. There's no need for anyone here to be doing that.

Sent from my SGSIII

Global Posts
    10,682 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Good video. I wonder if the black clipping is an attempt to rid the light leaking blobs that affect some amoled screens?

- - - Updated - - -

Good video. I wonder if the black clipping is an attempt to rid the light leaking blobs that affect some amoled screens?

+1, I found her gorilla glass video first and have been a subscriber since

Sent from my Note 2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

- - - Updated - - -

It could be alot of things, it could be as simple as power savings setup on the phone, or it could be at a material level.

To give you history , OLED's are super efficient so it doesnt take much power to activate the pixels. For example on Early feature phones in Japan that were using OLED technology they had a problem that when the phone was off the screen would glow red, this was because it was activated by the battery power that was being leaked from the battery. This was eventually fixed by different layers in the OLED device called blocking layers. Here is a very basic OLED structure

With these layers we can tweak at what point the pixel will activate given a particular supply. This is called an S curve, at low voltages there is no emission then as the voltage increases the pixel emitts, making a S type shape on a plotting chart. So their S curve will depend on the structure of the materials used for the OLED , which unfortunatley i am not privy to since they use other venders for Host,Blocking and injection layers. I doubt it is an S curve limitation but its possible.

Like you said it maybe their attempt to reduce leaking or it could just be the way the display settings are but i am in the dark about what the cause is as anyone else
    Thanked by 2:
    Johnly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post

Sent from my Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    Calling out another member is instigating too. There's no need for anyone here to be doing that.

Sent from my SGSIII
    My apologies, what I should have said was the pentile display was kind of a weak point for the s3 so when people see the s4 will have a pentile display they want to jump on it and worry. Luckily this display looks like it will be much improved.

Sent from my Note 2

I'm sitting here reading this on the HTC One's LCD. It's freaking gorgeous, and Samsung will have to work hard to deliver something comparable.

And I'm sure they will. Samsung knows display technology. They will deliver.

#WeAllWin

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Premium1 and The Real X Dawg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    well see you guys on the htc one forums.
    Good luck with the heat and non-replaceable battery.

Let's hope this black clipping business is at the software level and not material. As an ISF-certified home theater who-gives-a-sh!t guy (impressed?), I'm a sucker for the inky-black, high-contrast Super AMOLED panels (and highly saturated colors are no worries if they're still relatively accurate against primary and secondary gamuts of your choice and/or tweakable via 3rd party apps)...seriously, those great contrast ratios can do wonders for 3Dness (without the awful actual 3D...). But crush my blacks and deny me some shadow detail and you're DEAD to me!! And thus concludes my first official drunken Android Central post! Yay! You're welcome and I accept your apologies!
    Thanked by 3:
    Johnlyjroczapfrog 
    Johnly and nolittdroid like this.

....did the s4 come out already? Did I miss something?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my S3

Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    ....did the s4 come out already? Did I miss something?
    Umm...the S4 is crusty old news...we're talking about the S5, son! I expected a little more from you, nolittdroid.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
    Yes it did:
    And how close did you have to put your eyes to the screen, or how much did you have to magnify each image to see the pixels? I think people just look for negatives..I mean..really look hard for negatives. With microscopes and magnifying glasses.
    Thanked by:
    jroc, MikeLip and zapfrog like this.

I think the comments from both sides are pretty extremist.

I had an S3 and I personally did find text in particular have a certain 'grain' to them and weren't as crisp as text on the iPhone 5 or HTC One X. Not sure if that was due to pentile or not.

At the resolution the S4 has, I don't think grain should be an issue. However, sunlight visibility, web browsing battery life and colour accuracy are important to me, which are areas I feel that LCD excel over AMOLED.

*I* think the entire issue is the granularity of the human eye. The displays are so good on all these phones that the individual retinal cells can no longer resolve them and the archaic software in the human brain simply pixelates it in self defense. Too much information! screams your visual cortex, while down in engineering, Scotty is shouting in his best Scottish accent, Captain! Me eyeballs canna take much more o' this! Clearly we all need neuronic upgrades. When does version 1.2 come out?

Global Posts
    1,031 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

PenTile sucks, plain and simple. I upgraded from a RAZR HD (4.7" 720 PenTile AMOLED) to a Note 2 (5.5" 720 RGB AMOLED) and it looks amazingly better. Even with a lower PPI it looks night and day better.

So, PenTile sucks....and so does the screen blobs on every AMOLED panel.

Oh No, there's a variation of a pentile matrix on the galaxy s4. What ever shall I do?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    PenTile sucks, plain and simple. I upgraded from a RAZR HD (4.7" 720 PenTile AMOLED) to a Note 2 (5.5" 720 RGB AMOLED) and it looks amazingly better. Even with a lower PPI it looks night and day better.

I would reserve judgement until you actually see it instead of using that logic. Also read the entire thread and see why this display is unique

Sent from my Note 2
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post

Jerry seems to disagree with you in his hands-on article. And many people love how the S3 screen looks, and I think the S4 screen looks great too and so do many others I'm sure. In reality, not so plain and simple afterall.
    TheOtherBill likes this.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast