S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Love how people are still comparing it to the SGS3 when it's already been thrown under a microscope and shown to NOT BE a pentile matrix, but Samsungs new "diamond" matrix.

Oh god, the ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has lost their minds! Who in the world puts a Pentile display on a phone in 2013?

They shot themselves in the foot here.

Have you actually held the phone and looked at it in person? Most people can't tell what kind of screen a phone is. Although I don't know why switch back to pentile after using rgb on the note 2. I'm sure it may have something to do with cost. But either way like someone pointed out, the picture on it will look as good or better in most cases as other phones currently out, including the so called retina display.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you actually held the phone and looked at it in person? Most people can't tell what kind of screen a phone is. Although I don't know why switch back to pentile after using rgb on the note 2. I'm sure it may have something to do with cost. But either way like someone pointed out, the picture on it will look as good or better in most cases as other phones currently out, including the so called retina display.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
He just likes to bash Samsung with the same tired arguments every chance he gets. Pay it no mind.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Very interested to give this one a close look when it comes out. I've always favored LCDs for sharpness and clarity but diamond pentile is intriguing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Love how people are still comparing it to the SGS3 when it's already been thrown under a microscope and shown to NOT BE a pentile matrix, but Samsungs new "diamond" matrix.

Oh god, the ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Love how people DON'T know what Pentile means. It's NOT one specific type of subpixel layout.

Oh god, the ignorance.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That said, do you think different pentile layouts have advantages. Is the diamonds pentile better than on the s3?

Yeah its def better otherwise you couldn't raise the ppi. I'm sure it will look much sharper than the s3 since the subpixels will fill up the gaps that caused the jagged edges from older pentile layouts

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Love how people DON'T know what Pentile means. It's NOT one specific type of subpixel layout.

Oh god, the ignorance.

The last few Samsung phones I can think of besides the Note 2 have been pentile, (Original Galaxy S, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy Nexus, SGS3) so I didn't think I had to specify.

I was referring to the fact that everyone on here is comparing Samsungs old pentile matrix on the sgs3 (and prior) to the new diamond format for the sgs4. Yes, both are still pentile, but given how dense you are I guess that was too much for you to process. Try harder next time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that awful screen is a deal breaker for me!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

I'm sure that "awful" screen that you've never seen in person is the only reason you're not getting an s4... There's no blind htc love and sammy bashing going on at all

Sent from my Note 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah its def better otherwise you couldn't raise the ppi. I'm sure it will look much sharper than the s3 since the subpixels will fill up the gaps that caused the jagged edges from older pentile layouts

So it seems the diamond matrix reslolves the old pentile gripes of jagged edges? Well then what is all this s4 pentile display suck talk? Ignorant bliss? Lmao!

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

This is very interesting. What's special about the diamond maxtrix layout?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate debates like this. You stated that you think AMOLED displays are inferior. This is clearly an opinion the way you stated this. I can respect that.

Looking at the dna, the screen was a beautiful, but not enough to sway me away from the note 2. I really love organic screens, I just think they look better.

The last few Samsung phones I can think of besides the Note 2 have been pentile, (Original Galaxy S, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy Nexus, SGS3) so I didn't think I had to specify.

I was referring to the fact that everyone on here is comparing Samsungs old pentile matrix on the sgs3 (and prior) to the new diamond format for the sgs4. Yes, both are still pentile, but given how dense you are I guess that was too much for you to process. Try harder next time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

My reply was meant to prove a point. The way you took my reply was exactly the same way members took yours. To give you an idea of where my level of knowledge lies I suggest you read THIS POST. I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). I consider myself a highly knowledgeable individual when it comes to hardware used in phones.

Feel free to peruse the other stickies in that thread, and look for more in the future breaking down the newer SoC's. Maybe even a guest post on the blog....

Needless to say, it's kinda hard to argue against my level of (admittedly not expert) knowledge on the subject of hardware. Not tooting my own horn, I just pride myself in knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I take it as a matter of pride to have and provide correct and accurate information when I post.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is very interesting. What's special about the diamond maxtrix layout?
OK so on the left you have the diamond layout and on the right the older pentile layout. on the right you can clearly see there are large gaps and not evenly spaced which causes jagged images. on the left you can see how they have broken down the green and filled these gaps in giving you a much more uniform and sharper image.
Pentilecomparison_zps39891fc4.png

I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). .

Thanks Keven :) , but By no means am i an expert in all things display. I work at the molecular level of OLED's so i know what they are capable of and how they can be structured, But there is more that goes into an OLED display than just the emitter molecules.
I probably know a little more than the average person about displays but not enough to say expert.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK so on the left you have the diamond layout and on the right the older pentile layout. on the right you can clearly see there are large gaps and not evenly spaced which causes jagged images. on the left you can see how they have broken down the green and filled these gaps in giving you a much more uniform and sharper image.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/eclipsehunter2002/Pentilecomparison_zps39891fc4.png

Thanks Keven :) , but By no means am i an expert in all things display. I work at the molecular level of OLED's so i know what they are capable of and how they can be structured, But there is more that goes into an OLED display than just the emitter molecules.
I probably know a little more than the average person about displays but not enough to say expert.

Much closer to being an expert than me. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My reply was meant to prove a point. The way you took my reply was exactly the same way members took yours. To givee you an idea of where my level of knowledge lies I suggest you read THIS POST. I might not be an expert (though we do have one of those here. Hi DroidXcon!). I consider myself a highly knowledgeable individual when it comes to hardware used in phones.

Feel free to peruse the other stickies in that thread, and look for more in the future breaking down the newer SoC's. Maybe even a guest post on the blog....

Needless to say, it's kinda hard to argue against my level of (admittedly not expert) knowledge on the subject of hardware. Not tooting my own horn, I just pride myself in knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to this stuff. I take it as a matter of pride to have and provide correct and accurate information when I post.

No worries.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am certainly no expert! But I have had a bazillion phones, and can have my pick of whatever one I want, whenever. When one takes statements like "I have to shade my amoled screen to read in the sun" as truth, when by experience, that simply isn't true on a 240 L + amoled display. I am all for learning, and can eat crow if need be lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.