S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do these displays perform better? I mean fps, cpu usage, battery life, choking or clipping apps that dont hit HD well yet? I think the note2 is the perfect blend of beautiful and running my android and apps with stunning performance backed up by killer battery life. I am so biased.

FPS capped at 60fps per vsync. CPU usage should be the same. Battery life is highly dependent on content.

How well the display handles apps that aren't ready for their resolution is strictly the OS.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
FPS capped at 60fps per vsync. CPU usage should be the same. Battery life is highly dependent on content.

How well the display handles apps that aren't ready for their resolution is strictly the OS.

This is why I passed on the dna. Seems HD is ready for prime time now that the hardware and OS is catching up.

WisdomWolf

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with Pentile is the inaccurate colors and weird display issues with gradients. While going to a higher resolution does solve some of the clarity issues it does nothing in regards to the color banding because it's still impossible for each pixel to display the correct color. You can't display orange on a pixel when the only sub pixels are blue and green, adding more pixels doesn't change that.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am reading this thread on my photon with a pentie screen. It is bright and clear and easy to read outdoors. Yes, if I look closely, I can see pixels. So what. All the fonts are clear, and I mostly use it for text.

Ymmv

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
ffs I forgot that the people complaining aren't even drawing anything from recent experience.

Still gonna suck outdoors as most AMOLED screens do?

You can't use amoled screens outdoors. It is a physical impossibility.

Last I checked, one of the big name unbiased mobile sites mentioned that the Note 2's screen was easier to see outdoors than the Nexus 4's. Even recent LCD screens seem to turn into mirrors when trying to display dark images outdoors.

eric figueroa

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
For the people who say s3 screen isn't grainy are just plain in denial its the only reason I wanna get rid of mines sounds like fanboys to me or people with horrible eyesight I will not be getting it because of pentile plus the phone being larger HTC one it is

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
ffs I forgot that the people complaining aren't even drawing anything from recent experience.

Last I checked, one of the big name unbiased mobile sites mentioned that the Note 2's screen was easier to see outdoors than the Nexus 4's. Even recent LCD screens seem to turn into mirrors when trying to display dark images outdoors.

Shh! ;)

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
For the people who say s3 screen isn't grainy are just plain in denial its the only reason I wanna get rid of mines sounds like fanboys to me or people with horrible eyesight I will not be getting it because of pentile plus the phone being larger HTC one it is
I never owned a GS3 but owned a Galaxy Nexus for a year which has the exact same screen as the S3. At first I was overwhelmed by the oversaturated colors and inky blacks but soon I too noticed the grainyness especially with grays and whites. God did whites look horrible on the Galaxy Nexus.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I thought they would have learned. That's why I never got the S3 and waited for the Note 2.

I would have rather seen them use there awesome Note 2 screen on the S4 then go for a grainy pentile screen.

That's why I said months ago. If the S4 uses a pentile screen you can forget it. Everyone needs to know it's not always about the pixel count, it's about the Sub Pixel count. That's how you get the sharpest and best colors. I wonder why they didn't just upgrade the pentile screen in the S3. You don't need 1080p on a 5" screen in the first place. If you're going to do it, do it right.

This is the reason I went with the Note 2. Like I said before, I just can't handle the grainy picture on pentile screens.

I really thought Samsung said they listened to there customers and clearly they didn't.

Looks like I'll be waiting to see what they do with the Note 3. I hope they do the same thing they did with the Note 2 and give it a RGB screen. If they do, I'm sure I'll get getting one.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

The HTC One is larger in dimensions than the Galaxy S IV.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am not going to say that the Pentile screen looks horrible, because it doesn't. However, switching from a GS3 to an HTC One X last year made the difference clear as day: LCD non pentile is superior in almost every way.

Someone said it already on these forums- just spend a day with a HTC One X if coming from an S3 and you will see the difference. Literally.

GS3 has a very nice screen, but there is a reason all reviewers hail the HTC screens.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's MY point. The S3 doesn't look grainy or pixilated at all. The S4 won't either. At this resolution no one will EVER believe that anyone can see sub pixels with the naked eye.

" no one will EVER"

I like your science. And of course resolution and pixel density are the absolute equalizers. In fact, I think that any reviews that discuss screen quality or appearance are just plain wrong.

Isn't that what you meant to say?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Who buys a smartphone for the display only? From all other performance and user experience in aspects, it would appear that the GS4 has the edge and will most likely sell better that the One. I would have preferred an LCD display but the display is not a deal breaker for me.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm amazed people can tell screen quality and "pixelation" from a few press shots and video. Not defending the use of pentile displays, but I think we should give reviewers a chance to give us their detailed impressions. After all, not all pentile displays are equal (I'm looking at you Droid Bionic...*shudder*).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
" no one will EVER"

I like your science. And of course resolution and pixel density are the absolute equalizers. In fact, I think that any reviews that discuss screen quality or appearance are just plain wrong.

Isn't that what you meant to say?

No. If someone that looks at phones for living AND whose opinion I trust says a particular phone has a superior display I'm apt to believe them.

That being said, I always look forward to reviews from certain sited because they get very technical with the testing.

Who buys a smartphone for the display only? From all other performance and user experience in aspects, it would appear that the GS4 has the edge and will most likely sell better that the One. I would have preferred an LCD display but the display is not a deal breaker for me.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Hardware wise the display and camera are the two most important features for me. I bet I'm not the only one. I pass on AMOLED displays automatically because I think they are inferior.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hardware wise the display and camera are the two most important features for me. I bet I'm not the only one. I pass on AMOLED displays automatically because I think they are inferior.
I appreciate debates like this. You stated that you think AMOLED displays are inferior. This is clearly an opinion the way you stated this. I can respect that.

Looking at the dna, the screen was a beautiful, but not enough to sway me away from the note 2. I really love organic screens, I just think they look better.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I pass on AMOLED displays automatically because I think they are inferior.

Its kind of crazy how personal I take this. I am trying to stay away from any display thread so I don't say something that will get me kicked off as an adviser.

I say to myself , "God, grant me the serenity to accept the opinions I cannot change,
The courage to keep my foot out of my mouth, And wisdom to know when to move on to another thread."

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Its kind of crazy how personal I take this. I am trying to stay away from any display thread so I don't say something that will get me kicked off as an adviser.

I say to myself , "God, grant me the serenity to accept the opinions I cannot change,
The courage to keep my foot out of my mouth, And wisdom to know when to move on to another thread."

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Lol.:thumbup:

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's blocky and jagged no matter the resolution. Plus ppi is already far above what the human eye can see so it's just a check off on a spec sheet to sell devices. I don't think most people will care or notice but the fact is it's not Samsung's best screen and it's disappointing they haven't put the best screen they make on their flagship device.

To be clear here, 1080p PenTile (441 ppi) is actually still sharper than Retina (326 ppi). It's even sharper than the Blackberry Z10 (355 ppi), which is significantly sharper than the iPhone 5.

1920 x 1080 at 4.7", 3 subpixels per pixel - 811 subpixels per inch (HTC One)

1920 x 1080 at 5", 2 subpixels per pixel - 623 subpixels per inch (Samsung Galaxy S4)

1280 x 768 at 4.2", 3 subpixels per pixel - 615 subpixels per inch (Blackberry Z10)

1136 x 640 at 4", 3 subpixels per pixel - 565 subpixels per inch (iPhone 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.