Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Why Samsung Didn't Go with a Metal Case

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I posted a comment over at iMore about the "Plastic" and Polycarbonate phones and how they trash Samsung for using plastic and how they are junk, etc. Now lets look back at Apple and the first several iPhones 1, 2 and 3 they were all made of PLASTIC, funny how iPhone users forget that nugget of history and rewrite it based on the iPhone 4/4S that were so early broken due to a glass back and poor antenna reception (Sorry . . . we were told we were holding it wrong, thanks Steve we appreciated that one).

I often wonder if the phone's reception issues are more due to what the carrier tweaks and has the OEM adjust under the hood than the original phone was designed to be. I was listening to a This Week In Tech 397 or 396 and they were talking about how the Galaxy Nexus camera on the Verizon model sucked and the Google (or GSM) version didn't. They were asking what did the carrier do to it. So I wonder aloud what do the carriers in the US dictate to the OEM's that we end up with problem devices down the road.
    The 3G and 3GS were cheap. I still remember that plastic cracking around the volume rocker and sim slot. Got scratched to **** and felt cheap and nasty in the hand. The saving grace of that design was the steel band around the edge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    geekymcfly likes this.

I dunno i think the s4 plastic build quality looks ok. I mean i do agree they should of went the one x route but too late now. Most people use cases anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I posted a comment over at iMore about the "Plastic" and Polycarbonate phones and how they trash Samsung for using plastic and how they are junk, etc. Now lets look back at Apple and the first several iPhones 1, 2 and 3 they were all made of PLASTIC, funny how iPhone users forget that nugget of history and rewrite it based on the iPhone 4/4S that were so early broken due to a glass back and poor antenna reception (Sorry . . . we were told we were holding it wrong, thanks Steve we appreciated that one).

I often wonder if the phone's reception issues are more due to what the carrier tweaks and has the OEM adjust under the hood than the original phone was designed to be. I was listening to a This Week In Tech 397 or 396 and they were talking about how the Galaxy Nexus camera on the Verizon model sucked and the Google (or GSM) version didn't. They were asking what did the carrier do to it. So I wonder aloud what do the carriers in the US dictate to the OEM's that we end up with problem devices down the road.
    The galaxy nexus' camera sucked no matter what version you got. I'm pretty sure Carriers don't alter devices reception in a negative way. The majority of consumers will blame the network at first until they find out its their phones fault. If they purposefully screw up reception their just asking for complaints about their network quality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ehhh like everyone else will mostly agree with, its all bout preference.
    Some people will automatically think, oh the HTC One is made out of all metal? Metal>Plastic and they will go with the One (opinion, not fact)
    Others will just go with the hype of the S4 and buy it. Heck, I'll bet you half of them won't even know half the specs, just gimmiks.
    These things are impossible to predict...
    Me? I just like the HTC One
    I love the S4, but I would probably break it so... My clumsiness pulled me over lol
    edgefever likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTechBoi View Post
    I'm just to voice my thoughts by using comments from this article right here: Why the Galaxy S4 won't be shedding its plastic roots

It's a bit silly to care so much about the exterior feel and/or the material of a handset when the large majority of us install some sort of plastic or rubber protective case anyway.

As long as it doesn't shatter or dent if/when I drop it, I couldn't care less what it's made of.
    Plastic has the right properties to protect a phone (flexibility and impact absorption and distribution) at a reasonable price point. Aluminum lacks these properties and that is why polymers are used across the vast majority of industries (most probably all) for impact protection. Not going that far, the most luxurious cars in the market do not use any form of metal in their bumpers.*

It is incredibly stupid to suggest that using Aluminum, or any other metal for that matter, makes sense in a practical way let alone that it is a sign of innovation.

There is no reason to replace plastic, unless composites get significantly cheaper (not happening anytime soon). Perhaps Samsung should use a higher quality finish to shut up the mindless hive ignorance.

I am seriously tired of hearing plastic is bad. My mom has an SIII, I have an SII and a friend of mine owns a SI and I know plenty of others who own these devices. Not one of them has had a problem with a broken screen or casing. There may be a few blemishes here and there but they are still fully operational.*

I know many people that have iPhones and the general story is unless they have a good case for it, the 'premium' device ends up looking plain awful or nonfunctional in a few months if not weeks. These accidents don't have to be all that extreme either. A drop onto carpet from a low desk or a fall from the hands on carpet or a a foot or two on hardwood flooring is all it takes.

I have dropped my S2 dozens of times on concrete, tile, etc before I got my Otter Box and I could still sell it as brand new. My mom has owned her S3 for 4 months now and still doesn't own a case. She doesn't have a scratch even when she has dropped it on multiple occasions. Her iPhone 3GS's screen shattered in her lap. My old iPhone 3G met a similar fate in my pocket when I tripped and fell on carpet.

Plastic may look bad when it scuffs and scratches but that happens way less than on the 'premium' feeling devices. And when that happens you don't have spider cracks on the back of your device, you have a mark or two.*

It may not feel premium, but plastic (and Gorilla Glass) holds up a **** of a lot better than any other 'premium' material. I would rather have a cheap feeling device for the its entire life than a device that feels premium for a month. That premium device was well known for its problems with durability. Not one Galaxy line phone has had a reputation of that.

And for that removable back: I can replace my battery. After a year it holds maybe 60% of its original charge. I plan on spending 15$ to replace it. When your's starts to fail you either pay 100$+ for the battery and service or you go with a bad battery. I also have an SD card slot that doesn't poke out. That means not only does the device look better than those with SD card slots regulated to the outside I have 80GB of storage for 270$ (I spent $.01 on my new SII when it was a new device so I really only spend 70$). To just get 64GB of storage on an iPhone that's 400$+taxes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    ~TTB
    Words out of my mouth. Stated perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Yang View Post
    Others will just go with the hype of the S4 and buy it. Heck, I'll bet you half of them won't even know half the specs, just gimmiks.

I love the S4, but I would probably break it so... My clumsiness pulled me over lol
    Plastic takes impacts better, and shows less wear afterwards. Drop that One and the speaker grill will pop off and it isnt going back on, not to mention dents that you cant buff out.

As long as those features Samsung is adding works as advertised, they are in no way shape or form gimmicks. They are programs that had millions of dollars in R&D put into them because people somewhere wanted them, and Samsung took notice.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    lol, i was rereading my post and lemme rephrase... I think Samsung is just being cheap... regarding the plastic cover.

i'm not saying the phone as a whole is cheap and i dont necessarily think there is anything wrong with plastic phones. it looks like it'll be a good phone... specs i feel is pretty much they are all close to what others are offering... but the S4 is their flagship phone, premium phone (until they release their tizen phone which in my opinion they will ultimately make their premium and 'try' to move their fans off android) and plastic just gives off the idea of 'cheap' design when you compare to the other flagship phones... the design doesnt separate it from other plastic phones or even from the S3.

They spent so much on marketing but silly as it sounds, if they had spent a few more cents on a stamped aluminum back cover, you'd probably get a ton more people excited on the S4 and sway them away from a One. just my opinion.
    I get what you're saying, but I think it's pathetic and sad that a afterthought stamped aluminum back cover would make all the difference. Are we all that dense? I've never picked up an aluminum popcan and thought to myself: "Holy shiz, now THIS is what durability is all about!" Yet some seriously think Aluminum is the end all material for durability and stability. I just don't see it that way. I have an aluminum iPod and the thing looks like trash. I have had it in a case most of it's life and the aluminum gets scratched to H when the slightest sand particle gets under the silicon case. It is dented in a few places and I don't even remember dropping it once! Then I have a Droid Bionic, a Razr Maxx, and my S3 that all look brand spanking new. And I KNOW i've dropped the Bionic and Maxx more than once. For the people who care more about the casing than the phone's capabilities, there's the iPhone. If you ONLY care about the capabilities and you use a case for your phone, the S4 will probably (we haven't actually used one yet) be freaking awesome. If you want a great build with what appears to be a decent device (we haven't used one yet), there's the One. I just look forward to the day that we stop assuming plastic is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I just look forward to the day that we stop assuming plastic is trash.
    Right there with you!

Sent from my Note 2
    TheOtherBill likes this.

Personally, I have the HTC One on preorder, but last year I tested the S3 and had no problems with its build quality. The plastic back was fine with me. The phone felt solid in the hand.

Metal isn't good for signal either.

But even with an aluminum phone, you're an ***** if you don't put a case on a 600$ phone!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

dropped my nexus today and as it was bouncing out the back of the truck on to the pavement I was thinking its a good thing I don't have the ONE.
    I can live with the scratches on the side but a dent would be absolutely suck.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I just look forward to the day that we stop assuming plastic is trash.
    Me too, but I doubt it'll ever happen unless everyone who says otherwise actually gets educated.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon PhoneApart View Post
    Personally, I have the HTC One on preorder, but last year I tested the S3 and had no problems with its build quality. The plastic back was fine with me. The phone felt solid in the hand.
    I would probably buy the HTC One as well just because i'd like to play with the BoomSound features and see what I like about the camera. I just sound like i'm more on the Samsung side of the fence because I get sick of stupidity when people spend more time talking and opening their mouth than reading about the materials and educating themselves as Demonic pointed out above.

I don't care what the phone is made out of as long as no features/signal are hindered. Either way my phone's end up in Plastic cases so they can be made out of almost anything for all I care. If I want a solid FEEL, I buy a solid case. Usually I prefer a solid performing device because I can always alter the feel of it afterward.
    Gathomblipoob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Me too, but I doubt it'll ever happen unless everyone who says otherwise actually gets educated.

Some people don't like it. Some people especially don't like it when it's cheap and shiny. There's no 'education' necessary.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Plastic is probably one of the reasons we keep our removable batteries

Educated about what? It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.

And it's not like Samsung are even going with a nicer feeling, solid polycarb build like the HTC One X or Lumia line, they just went with really thin, flimsy feeling polycarb plastic.

This whole drop debate imo is pointless as I don't buy phones with the intention of dropping them and don't make decisions on how well a phone can handle drops. If I were concerned about that, I'd put a case over my phone, but I don't because I like the feel of the phone in my hands with minimal bulk/weight added. Every phone can be killed with one drop. Plastic/metal/glass isn't going to save it. And last time I checked, plastic was extremely prone to cracking and chipping over metal. Metal would get scratches and dings, but it's better than chunks chipped off and cracks down the back

Samsung apologists will just use anything to defend Samsung's cheap practices. I like how Samsung haven't even mentioned plastic having an advantage for drops, but the apologists are running it anyway. Samsung themselves said it's so they can manufacture and produce large quantities of the phone. Producing metal phones takes too much time (and would cost more) than just pouring plastic into a mold. That is why Samsung make plastic phones. It's cost and time effective for them. They're not interested in making the absolute best phone they can, it's all down to time/money for them. Best part is the fans will defend any decision they make. Samsung fans have become exactly what they've been so critical of for years - they've become Apple-like fanboys.
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.
    Maybe, but for the people living in cold zone, plastic would be better to hold. I live in South Korea and the winter is really cold here. Temperature during winter in Korea is usually lower than those of the other countries on same latitude because of some air mass from Siberia. It was really cold this winter too that my iPhone with a aluminum bumper covering only the side got really cold to hold. So I bought the touch-able gloves and the plastic case covering back of the phone as well. I think that would be possibly one of the reason Samsung adopted the super sensitive screen enabling glove touch in GS4.
    Last edited by procol; 04-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.

I thing company much more conscious about their look.Rather than body it will depend on mobile body and look on the basis of that they decide body should be metallic or not

Well, from my Perspective.

HTC One

• Nice Looking
    • 4UP Camera

And that is where my pluses on it end

Samsung Galaxy S4
    • Removable Battery (Major Selling Point for me)
    • SD Card Expansion (Major Selling Point for me)
    • 5" Screen
      (which in Phill's Comparison Video to the One the S4 Screen Looked like it was a Lot Sharper and had more Vibrant Color)
    • Still Looks Nice
    • Decent Camera
    • Android 4.2.2
    • Comes in more than one color.
    • Its Software has left just about everyone in the dust by the looks of it
    • And Polycarbonate is stronger than the likely super thin Aluminum that the One will Be Using...
      (Besides, all you need to change the look/feel of it is put a case on it)
    Phone: Evo 4G

Educated about what? It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.

And it's not like Samsung are even going with a nicer feeling, solid polycarb build like the HTC One X or Lumia line, they just went with really thin, flimsy feeling polycarb plastic.

This whole drop debate imo is pointless as I don't buy phones with the intention of dropping them and don't make decisions on how well a phone can handle drops. If I were concerned about that, I'd put a case over my phone, but I don't because I like the feel of the phone in my hands with minimal bulk/weight added. Every phone can be killed with one drop. Plastic/metal/glass isn't going to save it. And last time I checked, plastic was extremely prone to cracking and chipping over metal. Metal would get scratches and dings, but it's better than chunks chipped off and cracks down the back

Samsung apologists will just use anything to defend Samsung's cheap practices. I like how Samsung haven't even mentioned plastic having an advantage for drops, but the apologists are running it anyway. Samsung themselves said it's so they can manufacture and produce large quantities of the phone. Producing metal phones takes too much time (and would cost more) than just pouring plastic into a mold. That is why Samsung make plastic phones. It's cost and time effective for them. They're not interested in making the absolute best phone they can, it's all down to time/money for them. Best part is the fans will defend any decision they make. Samsung fans have become exactly what they've been so critical of for years - they've become Apple-like fanboys.
    When your post starts with "educated about what?" just assume we're talking about you at that point.

And if you go back and read in detail you will see that the education comment is about plastics vs metal in general and not the specific implementation as it pertains to the s4 and one. This same argument shows up in many other industries although unfortunately uneducated consumers have a very high impact in the mobile phone industry.

Sent from my Note 2
    txtoast likes this.
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    When your post starts with "educated about what?" just assume we're talking about you at that point.
    Yeah, what he said.

It has been discusses in this thread and others. Various physical properties of many different "plastics" and metals, along with varous manufacturing methods, steps required, costs, design considerations, etc.

You cannot say a "plastic" back is cheap, as a blanket statement, without looking ignorant. Unless you have procurement pricing data, or have a pretty good understanding of the actual source material, design features, casting methods, machine setups and operations, finishing techniques, etc. of a particular part.

Whether or not a particular aluminum part is better, and/or more expensive, than a particular "plastic" part is likewise subject those and other criteria or factors relating to their design and what duty they will be subjected to.

Now I'm perfectly okay with you saying it "feels" cheap. That's obviously a personal opinion and I can make no argument against it. But it is at least in part driven by your preconceived notions.

I happen to like the HTC One because of the aluminum design. I love the look, and have read that it feels very rigid/solid. But those qualities are in the asthetic/ergonomic category. I've no doubt that it is a thin and flimsy part, made to feel better both through the fact that it is curved and the fact that it is glued to the more rigid and tightly packed innards of the phone. Just because I like it subjectively is not a legitimate reason to claim Samsung's parts are cheap or inferior.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    So Cold likes this.

About plastic. There are many kinds of plastic, and some are quite good. Samsung uses one of the better kinds in its phones, it might still feel cheap especially if you're used to having phones made of metal but it's only that, a feeling. It's actually much more durable and better quality than most people realize.

Now you know.

P.S Also, I wouldn't pretend that Samsung fans are the only ones that feel the need to defend every decision they make if I were you, HTC fans are just as bad, and every other brand has people that are so blind they'll worship the products they have.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

About plastic. There are many kinds of plastic, and some are quite good. Samsung uses one of the better kinds in its phones, it might still feel cheap especially if you're used to having phones made of metal but it's only that, a feeling. It's actually much more durable and better quality than most people realize.

Now you know.

P.S Also, I wouldn't pretend that Samsung fans are the only ones that feel the need to defend every decision they make if I were you, HTC fans are just as bad, and every other brand has people that are so blind they'll worship the products they have.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    I already stated in my post there are great plastic built phones - HTC One X and Lumia lines being great examples. This whole thread isn't about what materials feel good in the hand or what materials would elevate the overall impression/experience of the phone, it's boiled down to Samsung fans defending Samsung's plastic as an argument for being better when dropping the phone.

The point is every phone can become useless with one drop. The plastic on Samsung phones won't save it, nor will a metal in another phone. If you're that paranoid about dropping the phone, buy cases/covers or wrap the thing in bubble wrap - then it won't matter what it's made of.

I personally don't use a case, so I want a great feeling device that I'm paying hundreds of dollars for. Samsung charging premium prices, for a non-premium phone to me is a bit insulting to its consumers. Other phone manufacturers don't have anywhere near the cash to splash around that Samsung have, yet it appears that they're putting in the effort to make not only aesthetically pleasing phones (which I also think Samsung lacks in), but phones with great build materials that will feel great in the hand. Apple have always gotten crap for charging exuberant prices for their phones, but they're the gold standard in build design and quality. You're at least getting a premium product if you buy one.

I already stated in my post there are great plastic built phones - HTC One X and Lumia lines being great examples. This whole thread isn't about what materials feel good in the hand or what materials would elevate the overall impression/experience of the phone, it's boiled down to Samsung fans defending Samsung's plastic as an argument for being better when dropping the phone.

The point is every phone can become useless with one drop. The plastic on Samsung phones won't save it, nor will a metal in another phone. If you're that paranoid about dropping the phone, buy cases/covers or wrap the thing in bubble wrap - then it won't matter what it's made of.

I personally don't use a case, so I want a great feeling device that I'm paying hundreds of dollars for. Samsung charging premium prices, for a non-premium phone to me is a bit insulting to its consumers. Other phone manufacturers don't have anywhere near the cash to splash around that Samsung have, yet it appears that they're putting in the effort to make not only aesthetically pleasing phones (which I also think Samsung lacks in), but phones with great build materials that will feel great in the hand. Apple have always gotten crap for charging exuberant prices for their phones, but they're the gold standard in build design and quality. You're at least getting a premium product if you buy one.
    The galaxy s series IS a premium phone.

What's on the inside is so much more important than what's on the outside.

What other phone matches the specs on the S4?

And if you're smart, you're going to protect a 600+ $ investment so it would be in a case anyway and that case is made of of plastic. So why is plastic protecting metal? Hmm?

Drops happen, through the users fault, through another person's fault, sometimes through no fault of anyone, a wise man packs his phone in a case to protect against that, the foolish man would rather risk it and just end up spending more in the event of a drop.

With a phone like the one, a beautiful phone that it is, denting so easily and being so hard to fix a case should be standard

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I don't get the argument at all either. I was trying to read through all the responses. But did anyone talk about aluminum's ability to transfer heat? Given the phones can get pretty hot, I've always been curious how aluminum would handle this. It is my understanding that aluminum conducts heat very well, so much that it's a common alloy used in most radiators in cars and such. Perhaps this is good for the components inside the phone to stay cool?

It's the only function of aluminum that I can see worthwhile as a phone case. But then again, I'm no metallurgist or anything--so if anyone can expand on this, it would be much appreciated.
    Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

I pre ordered the HTC one but the specs of the galaxy are great. It's a great phone and being considered the best depends on what your personal expectations and needs are. I was hoping that the look of the s4 would of been different anything other than the identical look of the s3 and note 2.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast