bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Your Samsung Galaxy S4 Opinion?

Are you excited for the S4, or going to buy an HTC ONE instead?

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums

Likely won't be getting either as my upgrade will fall after the sgs5 is out.

If I was on the market tho, I would buy an sgs4 simply because sammy is still making the best flagship phone for ME. My only disappointment would be no exynos5 for the U.S. sgs4, but as I stated in the 600 thread, we don't know if the exynos chip will really yield a massive jump in battery life. If it does tho, sammy needs to change this pattern for the sgs5.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The GS4 is a nice step forward as Samsung has improved the existing user experience aspects that were on the GS3 and added others. Admittedly, until we see a smackdown between two released devices, we won't know how the improved Nature UX features will really play. Display and build quality are minor issues as the GS4 specs are acceptable. The camera is improved as well and again we will need to see it in the wild. Speed and performance as well as a more focused approach on the user experience is what will set the GS4 apart from its competition. If display, build materials and camera are the primary criteria, IMHO, get the One. To me, a smartphone is multifunctional devices that does a great many things well and that is very well organized thus allowing me to move more efficiently and accomplish more throughout the day. It is more than a great display, "premium" build materials and a nice camera. That's why I am getting the GS4. HTC, by the very fact that they are continuing to ignore user requests for a removable battery and expandable memory, appears to be less focused on the user interface and more about bling and sizzle. HTC produces a great product but substance trumps style especially where your hard earned money is concerned. If I am going to spend that much money, value is more important than appearance.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I rarely wait to use my upgrades and I am a Samsung fan but not in the market for a phone right now. I have a Note 2 and Nexus 4 now and am satisfied at the moment. The Note 2 has a lot of features that are nice to have but I do not use them. I do use the s-pen but I consider many of the features gimmicks such as hovering the s pen over an appointment or email or even multiview. Nice to have but rarely used. I must say that Samsung has really been getting the software right with very little if any bugs on the Note 2 and the S3 before that.

I think HTC has really raised the bar with the One. If their software is bug free I think they will be more competition than the One X was to the S3. I say kudos to Samsung for putting a 5 inch 1080 screen in the same physical size of the S3. My wife has an S3 and I do want to look at the S4 to see how they did that! Overall, I think the S4 looks great and delivers more of what brand loyal Samsung users want. While not a breakthrough in design, it delivers on some pretty neat stuff. I think a lot of the criticism directed at Samsung is "big company" related since they are a dominant player. Many of the companies that occupy that space in their industry receive the same criticism. Haters gonna hate!

One feature that is kind of gimmicky is wireless charging but it is one that I use on my Note 2 and Nexus 4. Does the S4 have wireless charging capability out of the box like the Nexus 4 or do I have to buy an extra part to make this work like with my Note 2.

In the end I am glad the bar continues to get raised and as a long time android user have had a lot of my longtime iphone friends asking more an more questions about android as they see these great devices come out. Can't wait for Key Lime Pie!

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I will buy the S4. I think its a great device that will appeal to many. I think Samsung has successfully got on the same page as Apple as far as brand name goes. People will buy it just because of the name. I am somewhat disappointed the US gets the short straw again with the processor. I am also not happy about the screen. Why is the screen on the Note 2 superior to the S4? That was a very bad move.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I will buy the S4. I think its a great device that will appeal to many. I think Samsung has successfully got on the same page as Apple as far as brand name goes. People will buy it just because of the name. I am somewhat disappointed the US gets the short straw again with the processor. I am also not happy about the screen. Why is the screen on the Note 2 superior to the S4? That was a very bad move.

I am not as versed on the processors. I thought the Snappy 600 was a very capable processor? I thought people were concerned it would the the S4 pro and not the 600 or are you disappointing it is not the Exynos?

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I am not as versed on the processors. I thought the Snappy 600 was a very capable processor? I thought people were concerned it would the the S4 pro and not the 600 or are you disappointing it is not the Exynos?

They are both pretty even on overall processing power, the kicker could be a massive gain in battery life for the exynos5 octa vs the 600....I've seen a review for the htc one that sports the 600 and it's battery life is little to no improvement over other flagship phones.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I can't wait to see US vs Intl version SGS4 comparisons, primarily on the battery life front. I doubt the processing power between the two versions will be noteworthy for daily use. Considering the One and SGS4 stateside will be using the same cpu but slightly different battery capacities and different screen tech that will be another comparison I look forward to.
I am not impressed with the SGS4 camera shots I have seen thus far vs what the One cranks out, but I have yet to see a review of that by someone who understands photography a bit. Sorry Alex, but I agree with some of the comments to your Experia vs One comparison..the One pics are miles ahead of what the Sony does. There is no comparison there.

Lastly..reception and in call quality are important for me too and I hate how so many reviews continue to skip over that. HTC and Moto are king in that imho. There are many places where my Rezound got significantly better, or simply reception in places where users of some Sammy phones got poor, to zero reception. On the other side, I have never been very pleased with HTCs in-call voice quality. Moto is the only one that seems to do both well. Too bad they tend to suck at nearly everything else.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

The more I look at the SG4 the more I like it. Samsung went for subtle changes, that perfected the product vs something radical that can't be produced.

The larger and better screen, the bigger battery, the features all bundled together making it a better fit for me. The one seems like a One trick pony and that pony gets put in the stable the second you throw a case on it.

VGPOP

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I will get S4. I'm due for an upgrade from my S2 (Sprint) in July 1. I may or may not wait to get discounted price. But I will get S4 no matter what.

People go too crazy about the hardware of HTC One. I don't even know why if the freaking phone will be covered (or should be using a cover) so it doesn't get scratched.

Loved the S4 and I'm very happy to wait all this time.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

One of the big reasons I'm getting a the S4 is the MicroSD card slot... I have lots of music on my SD card I need it on my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

My opinion? Not impressed. With the hype that surrounded that phone, samsung could have been way more innovative/creative.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am could be mistaken but are there not two versions of the Snapdragon 600 whereby the GS4 is getting the faster version than the One?

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am could be mistaken but are there not two versions of the Snapdragon 600 whereby the GS4 is getting the faster version than the One?

Same cpu, just clocked slightly higher on the Sammy. Initial benchmarks however show that it matters little in performance. Custom kernels will likely be able to put the clock at 1.9 as well but i doubt there would be a real world benefit. In fact, many of us running roms and custom kernels end up UNDERclocking the cpu.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

One of the big reasons I'm getting a the S4 is the MicroSD card slot... I have lots of music on my SD card I need it on my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

You don't say, lol! My music folder is at almost 30gbs!! I DL mostly mixes :cool:.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I think it's cool. I'm not amped over it but I'm not disappointed either. It's about what I expect 1 year after the S3. I don't think I'll get it but I won't rule it out. I much rather the HTC one because it'll be something different for me. The SD card stuff doesn't matter if I can get the storage I need (32gb or more) and I have never ever bought a second battery to swap and don't plan on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Whatever your opinion may be of Samsung, I think the Galaxy S4 wil definitely be the phone to beat this year just as the S3 was last year. Apple in particular will really need to step up their game with the iPhone 5S.

For my part I am going Nexus this year (as was my original intention when switching from iPhone to Android) be it with the Nexus 5 or perhaps something from Motorola/Google if it comes out.