They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED in general isnt as bright as other panels like LCD so thats probably why is most or all amoled displays the lux is so low, but I cant see why it would bother me because I love the colour of amoled displays vs lcd

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
LCD and AMOLED are totally 2 different techs....
-LCD is a Display with Liquid Crystal and it is Back Lit with LEDs...

-AMOLED is not Back Lit like LCD TVs and PLasma TVs and LED TVs (LED TVs are LCD TVs back lit with LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent lamps)
AMOLED are more less printed thin sheets, printed with the OLED...sheet over sheet over sheet...
One is Solid and Flexible, other is Liquid and stiff

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
LCD and AMOLED are totally 2 different techs....
-LCD is a Display with Liquid Crystal and it is Back Lit with LEDs...

-AMOLED is not Back Lit like LCD TVs and PLasma TVs and LED TVs (LED TVs are LCD TVs back lit with LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent lamps)
AMOLED are more less printed thin sheets, printed with the OLED...sheet over sheet over sheet...
One is Solid and Flexible, other is Liquid and stiff

Oled material is deposited in an amorphous state.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
LED TVs.....
LED TVs are simply LCD TVs that use a different type of lamp made from light emitting diodes, in place of a fluorescent lamp (typically called CCFLs) for illuminating the picture. LCDs are screens of colored pixels. They do not create light, and as such, they require a light source. (Plasmas and the old style CRTs don't need lamps, because the phosphors that make up their screens emit light and color when zapped with electricity.)
LCD TVs....
With LCDs, the CCFL lamps are always placed directly behind the panel, which adds to the thickness. LED lamps are placed on around the panel beneath the screen bezel (2012 ES Samsung, LG and Toshiba LED models and many other brands) or like CCFLs, behind the LCD panel (select LGs, Sonys, Vizios, Sharps and EH Series Samsungs).

OLED
Meanwhile, OLED really is a whole new large-screen technology. The flat panel is made up of millions of tiny LEDs. The ?O? in OLED stands for ?organic? which means there is carbon within the molecules of the emissive (light producing) layer of the panel. Large-screen OLED panels need no lamps -- they are self illuminating. OLED HDTVs can be thinner and lighter than the skinniest LED LCDs, and have several other advantages over LCD TVs, regardless of whether the LCD is lit by LED or CCFL.

For instance, they provide very wide and consistent color no matter where you are seated in the room. LED LCDs tend to get significantly dimmer as you move away from the center, and many exhibit color shift. (There is one exception that I have found, the new WT50 Panasonic, which I reviewed here on HD Guru.)

The greatest attribute of OLED is the ability to have the deepest blacks of any flat panel technology. Unlike LED backlighting, which at best can only dim the LCD image in regions, OLEDs can produce a very low luminescence level down the individual pixel. This ability coupled with bright whites is why OLEDs are expected to have the highest contrast. OLEDs are very fast devices, changing intensity faster the best plasmas and the fastest (240 Hz) LED LCDs. This means there's no risk of motion blur.

OLEDs can make more colors than CCFL or LED panels. While impressive, this may not translate to a significant asset, since HDTV itself is limited to a specific color palette, one that a number of plasmas and LED HDTV already can meet or exceed.

How do AMOLED displays work?

OLED-Displays bests describes how AMOLED displays work:

Active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer ? or substrate ? that contains circuitry. The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete ?dot? pattern. Each pixel is activated directly: A corresponding circuit delivers voltage to the cathode and anode materials, stimulating the middle organic layer. AMOLED pixels turn on and off more than three times faster than the speed of conventional motion picture film ? making these displays ideal for fluid, full-motion video.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
LED TVs.....
LED TVs are simply LCD TVs that use a different type of lamp made from light emitting diodes, in place of a fluorescent lamp (typically called CCFLs) for illuminating the picture. LCDs are screens of colored pixels. They do not create light, and as such, they require a light source. (Plasmas and the old style CRTs don't need lamps, because the phosphors that make up their screens emit light and color when zapped with electricity.)
LCD TVs....
With LCDs, the CCFL lamps are always placed directly behind the panel, which adds to the thickness. LED lamps are placed on around the panel beneath the screen bezel (2012 ES Samsung, LG and Toshiba LED models and many other brands) or like CCFLs, behind the LCD panel (select LGs, Sonys, Vizios, Sharps and EH Series Samsungs).

OLED
Meanwhile, OLED really is a whole new large-screen technology. The flat panel is made up of millions of tiny LEDs. The ?O? in OLED stands for ?organic? which means there is carbon within the molecules of the emissive (light producing) layer of the panel. Large-screen OLED panels need no lamps -- they are self illuminating. OLED HDTVs can be thinner and lighter than the skinniest LED LCDs, and have several other advantages over LCD TVs, regardless of whether the LCD is lit by LED or CCFL.

For instance, they provide very wide and consistent color no matter where you are seated in the room. LED LCDs tend to get significantly dimmer as you move away from the center, and many exhibit color shift. (There is one exception that I have found, the new WT50 Panasonic, which I reviewed here on HD Guru.)

The greatest attribute of OLED is the ability to have the deepest blacks of any flat panel technology. Unlike LED backlighting, which at best can only dim the LCD image in regions, OLEDs can produce a very low luminescence level down the individual pixel. This ability coupled with bright whites is why OLEDs are expected to have the highest contrast. OLEDs are very fast devices, changing intensity faster the best plasmas and the fastest (240 Hz) LED LCDs. This means there's no risk of motion blur.

OLEDs can make more colors than CCFL or LED panels. While impressive, this may not translate to a significant asset, since HDTV itself is limited to a specific color palette, one that a number of plasmas and LED HDTV already can meet or exceed.

How do AMOLED displays work?

OLED-Displays bests describes how AMOLED displays work:

Active matrix (AM) OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer ? or substrate ? that contains circuitry. The pixels are defined by the deposition of the organic material in a continuous, discrete ?dot? pattern. Each pixel is activated directly: A corresponding circuit delivers voltage to the cathode and anode materials, stimulating the middle organic layer. AMOLED pixels turn on and off more than three times faster than the speed of conventional motion picture film ? making these displays ideal for fluid, full-motion video.

I know exactly how OLEDs work as I work on the team that develops oled molecules. Samsung purchases patents and materials from us to manufacture them.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly how OLEDs work as I work on the team that develops oled molecules. Samsung purchases patents and materials from us to manufacture them.
Well then I think it is fair to say you aren't the most objective source of information, albeit knowledgeable.

I don't understand why people get so worked up over these differences. Unless someone makes their living off a technology like you do, who cares if someone prefers one over the other?

My GNex is very hard to see in bright sunlight. But the Rezound had such a reflective screen, it could function as a mirror in bright sunlight.

As for the brilliant colors that don't exist in nature, well what a shame that they don't 'cuz I really think they are pretty to look at! Kind of reminds me of an acid trip.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well then I think it is fair to say you aren't the most objective source of information, albeit knowledgeable.

I don't understand why people get so worked up over these differences. Unless someone makes their living off a technology like you do, who cares if someone prefers one over the other?

My GNex is very hard to see in bright sunlight. But the Rezound had such a reflective screen, it could function as a mirror in bright sunlight.

As for the brilliant colors that don't exist in nature, well what a shame that they don't 'cuz I really think they are pretty to look at! Kind of reminds me of an acid trip.

My problem isn't whether or not people prefer one or the other. My problem is when people speak of what it can't or can do. People speak of OLEDs and day thaings like "OLEDs are over saturated" or "you can not make them brighter because it's inferior product" when these things arent true. An opinion is an opinion but don't say the technology is no good without knowing what you are talking about.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't saturation just a measure of how close to grey a color is?

"Amoled displays are oversaturated"
"Motorola gets the best signal"
"Stock android is better than ui's"

All are mindless echoing that gets wrote in every thread by people that want to fit into the cliques. Enough already.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Ridiculously dim? The S3 screen is decent. I have mine on the minimal brightness most of the time and the pull down shade makes it easy to turn up. It might not be the nicest brightest screen on the market but i choose the phone because it was the fastest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ridiculously dim? The S3 screen is decent. I have mine on the minimal brightness most of the time and the pull down shade makes it easy to turn up. It might not be the nicest brightest screen on the market but i choose the phone because it was the fastest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Compare it to other handsets. The S3 is quite dim. Still not as bad as the galaxy nexus, which was one of the worst displays I've ever seen.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Still not as bad as the galaxy nexus, which was one of the worst displays I've ever seen.
At the time the GNex came out, your 3 highest end phones on VZW were the Razr, Rezound and GNex. Compared to the Razr the GNex was a much better screen. As for the Rezound, I don't care how bright it was, it was not viewable outdoors in bright sunlight due to how reflective it was. Brightness is important outdoors so if you cover a bright screen with a highly reflective piece of glass that functions as a mirror in bright sunlight, what good is the bright screen?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My point was just that oversaturated can be restated as less grey. It is a matter of personal preference whether you like to look at colors that are less grey or not. I agree they are more realistic if they are more grey but I want pretty, not realistic.

I don't have a problem with that. When I have a problem , is with people who say OLEDs are over saturated. When this is not true. Its like saying all pizza is over salty. Not all pizza is over salty just the one you just ate.
Not all OLEDs are over saturated just Samsungs because they choose it to be.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
"Stock android is better than ui's"
Another personal preference that is nothing more than opinion. But there is nothing wrong with feeling that stock android is better. I feel that way. It's just my opinion, not an objective fact.

Just like it is my opinion that AMOLED screens with highly saturated colors are pretty.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
At the time the GNex came out, your 3 highest end phones on VZW were the Razr, Rezound and GNex. Compared to the Razr the GNex was a much better screen. As for the Rezound, I don't care how bright it was, it was not viewable outdoors in bright sunlight due to how reflective it was. Brightness is important outdoors so if you cover a bright screen with a highly reflective piece of glass that functions as a mirror in bright sunlight, what good is the bright screen?

Never had any problem with the Rezound I had. That screen made the galaxy nexus look like a first generation galaxy s.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Never had any problem with the Rezound I had. That screen made the galaxy nexus look like a first generation galaxy s.
I couldn't see anything but my own face reflected back at me when I looked at the Rezound in bright sunlight. It was great for touching up my makeup, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude