Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

...What is the matter with these guys? This was the single biggest reason I didn't buy the S3. It's a total deal breaker for me (and many others). At maximum brightness this display is a joke. By comparison the display on the iphone5 and HTC One is literally twice as bright. Who buys these phones? I don't car if it fries eggs and fluffs your pillows -- the screen is the single most important feature of a smartphone and 258 lux is a complete joke.

4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com

>>>In addition to the Galaxy S4’s system performance, we also managed to benchmark the brightness level of the smartphone’s 5-inch 1920 x 1080-pixel Super AMOLED display. One of the biggest complaints we had regarding the S III was how dim its display was at just 213 lux. The Galaxy S4 improves upon that number, topping out at 258 lux. That’s brighter than the Galaxy S3, as well as the Galaxy Note II’s 240 lux rating. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 still falls behind the smartphone category average of 299 lux. The Google Nexus 4, meanwhile, came in with an average 399 lux.<<<

Default Re: They Still Haven't Fixed The (Ridiculously) Dim Display...

That sucks. I understand that it would drain the battery pretty fast but I'd still like the option to use my phone in direct sunlight. What I don't understand is the gs2 was much brighter and could be used in the sun. I'm definitely not tied to samsung but if next year a phone comes out with a brighter screen, bigger battery, speakers in the front, removable battery and sd card, I would switch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    The Hustleman likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy5111 View Post
    speakers in the front,

Indeed! Why do smartphone makers continue to put their speakers in the rear? TOTALLY un-ergonomic. Put them on the front or at least the sides or bottom strip a la iphone. I mean really guys -- this isn't complicated.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,742 Global Posts

That sucks. I understand that it would drain the battery pretty fast but I'd still like the option to use my phone in direct sunlight. What I don't understand is the gs2 was much brighter and could be used in the sun. I'm definitely not tied to samsung but if next year a phone comes out with a brighter screen, bigger battery, speakers in the front, removable battery and sd card, I would switch.

It's because the gs2 resolution was much lower.

Nokia did a good job with their AMILED tech in direct sunlight. This was also low resolution though. They switched to LCDs for their HD displays.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.. The screen on the s3 is plenty bright enough for my needs. Even outdoors, as long as the screen is clean, I can use the phone. If it's in direct sunlight, I just turn around so my body shades the screen. I suppose if you need to use the phone in the middle of the day in the Iraqi desert, then there are better choices. For 99% of us, 99% of the time, the screen is fine.

As far as speakers go, does anyone really listen to music using the tiny little speakers built in to today's phones? Anyone who cares even slightly about decent quality sound will use earphones. Even the iPhone, which has better sound quality than most, sounds like a toy radio from the 1960s.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I think some people have unrealistic expectations, or are just looking for reasons to criticize the phone.. The screen on the s3 is plenty bright enough for my needs. Even outdoors, as long as the screen is clean, I can use the phone. If it's in direct sunlight, I just turn around so my body shades the screen. I suppose if you need to use the phone in the middle of the day in the Iraqi desert, then there are better choices. For 99% of us, 99% of the time, the screen is fine.

As far as speakers go, does anyone really listen to music using the tiny little speakers built in to today's phones? Anyone who cares even slightly about decent quality sound will use earphones. Even the iPhone, which has better sound quality than most, sounds like a toy radio from the 1960s.
    No different then people complaining about battery life or storage space etc,etc,and speaking for others you are putting your foot in your mouth.that was the reason i stayed away from amlod based phones.
    Topgonzo likes this.

That's what happens when you chose amoled. You sacrifice brightness, color accuracy, and sharpness for over saturated colors and deep blacks.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,764 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I don't get it. Plenty of good info in some other threads, and nothing is translated here. So now amoled is broken? Oh my the ignorance. ★☆☆☆☆
    TheOtherBill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    I don't get it. Plenty of good info in some other threads, and nothing is translated here. So now amoled is broken? Oh my the ignorance. ★☆☆☆☆
    I think phones ought to have ittty bitty CRTs on them.

No it ain't broken. You are blind if you think there are ONLY advantages with amoled over lcd. There are advantages and disadvantages with BOTH. It depends on what your priorities are when it comes to screen quality. Some people value black levels and rich colors over brightness, sharpness and color accuracy. Those people prefer amoled. Some people prefer brightness, color accuracy and sharpness over saturation and black levels. Those people prefer LCD. I think that is a reasonable and fair statement.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Get back to us after you successfully have designed a phone.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,764 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I think phones ought to have ittty bitty CRTs on them.
    It would be cool to have the picture adjustment capabilities of crt. Contrast, sharp, warmth, cool, color, brightness. .....that would be frigging sweet. It is nice to have several modes to choose from onthe note, but it is nohnothing more than a quad color saturation control. Everyone here should read what droidxcon posted in the horrible pentile display thread about amoled tech. As far as I am concerned, it speakes volumes of truth.

Or I could keep my head in the sand here? Hmmmm.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Let's keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Johnly likes this.

Screen isn't the most important, it's speed and user experience

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,764 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fchowd0311 View Post
    No it ain't broken. You are blind if you think there are ONLY advantages with amoled over lcd. There are advantages and disadvantages with BOTH. It depends on what your priorities are when it comes to screen quality. Some people value black levels and rich colors over brightness, sharpness and color accuracy. Those people prefer amoled. Some people prefer brightness, color accuracy and sharpness over saturation and black levels. Those people prefer LCD. I think that is a reasonable and fair statement.
    Thankful for not being blind. Amoled is a new tech compared to lcd. Lcd is refined. In my honest opinion, it is blind to say anything about the s4 screen. If one thinks amoled can't be viewd outside and that the pixels are going to pop them in the eye, don't get it. The truth is that amoled is getting better, and 90 percent of peoples statements about amoled are literally years old.
    I love lcd. I love amoled. I do find it contempt prior to investigation with all these threads on a display no one has. We need to wait, and understand these screens are viewd from eyes which no two are the same. I am not surprised people prefer amoled or lcd.
    jroc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    While that varies from user to user, screen is a huge part of the user experience. It's very important.

Thankful for not being blind. Amoled is a new tech compared to lcd. Lcd is refined. In my honest opinion, it is blind to say anything about the s4 screen. If one thinks amoled can't be viewd outside and that the pixels are going to pop them in the eye, don't get it. The truth is that amoled is getting better, and 90 percent of peoples statements about amoled are literally years old.
    I love lcd. I love amoled. I do find it contempt prior to investigation with all these threads on a display no one has. We need to wait, and understand these screens are viewd from eyes which no two are the same. I am not surprised people prefer amoled or lcd.
    AMOLED has been around for a while, tech-wise. We can objectively judge a screen based on how well it reproduces the real-world. AMOLED screens definitely have their upsides, but fall noticeably short of today's LCDs. But that will change over time - it wasn't that long ago that it was the king of the hill.
    lou61166 likes this.

How bright of a phone do you need? This phone has ample brightness. If it was bright you people would complain about something else. Shut up and move on, get over it.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,764 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    While that varies from user to user, screen is a huge part of the user experience. It's very important.

AMOLED has been around for a while, tech-wise. We can objectively judge a screen based on how well it reproduces the real-world. AMOLED screens definitely have their upsides, but fall noticeably short of today's LCDs. But that will change over time - it wasn't that long ago that it was the king of the hill.
    Fair enough, but lcd has had many more years to mature. I think the s4 gets a new color of pholed. That is part of being a new technology. Lcd is mature, amoled has not matured.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,173 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TeritorialDemon View Post
    How bright of a phone do you need? This phone has ample brightness. If it was bright you people would complain about something else. Shut up and move on, get over it.
    Statements like the above bother me. Look at what I put in bold above. With my One X I DON'T have to do that. I can just see it. No need to work around the phone, the phone works around me. Different priorities for different people, but daylight viewing is a big one for a LOT of people.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 5:
    Topgonzo and TeritorialDemon like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,764 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Don't remember having to do that with the note. Tomorrow after I get off work, I will get it on full brite full sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Statements like the above bother me. Look at what I put in bold above. With my One X I DON'T have to do that. I can just see it. No need to work around the phone, the phone works around me. Different priorities for different people, but daylight viewing is a big one for a LOT of people.
    I agree 100% god forbid anyone should put the god like samsung down or voice an opinion.and i thought Apple had the most sensitive fanboys.
    Thanked by:
    Kamin 
    cmandd and Rollingrock like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,732 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post

You can only enjoy the UI and speed with the screen lol?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    You can only enjoy the UI and speed with the screen lol?
    Oh now wait on a minute here. Maybe you haven't heard of a little company called Apple and a new technology called iThink. Well Steve Jobs is back from the grave with this ground breaking new game-changing technology. Seeing in general, and screens that can be seen in particular, are so yesterday. Now, with Apple's new iThink system you can just keep the phone in your pocket, think of all the moves you want to make with Words With Friends, imagine your route on our spectacularly inaccurate navigation app and check your stocks telepathically. We've gone to a 0 ppi screen to maximize battery life and hope, in the very near future, to utterly eliminate our power button as our future phones won't even have need of any power source other than your mind.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Android boys!
    Thanked by:
    BOSSY TEXAS CHICK likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

And its not that the screen is abysmally low, its that horrendous pentile display with that nasty screendoor effect!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,173 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    And its not that the screen is abysmally low, its that horrendous pentile display with that nasty screendoor effect!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!
    We already have a few threads about the Pentile layout. We don't need to bring it up again here.

Thanks.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast